Rite of Spring '15: exhume our idols! bury our friends!

The_Admiral

Do the Wild really count as a 90s expansion team, though? They started playing in the 2000-01 season.

Franchise was awarded in 1997.

Doesn't matter, really. 1990s expansion team/post-1990 expansion team. All part of the same broad era of NHL expansion.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do the Wild really count

Not ever.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I think for public relations purposes if nothing else, the NHL needs to step in and tell teams to knock this crap off with not taking out-of-state credit cards to keep Blackhawks fans out. It looks so Hooterville to have these teams trying to keep the "wrong" fans out of their buildings. Stop restricting your own commerce. Don't tell hockey fans you won't take their money.

This wouldn't be such a big deal if it happened in other sports, but as far as I'm aware it's only this. If I'm in the fan base that has this kind of attendance paranoia, I'm embarrassed.

Denver and Seattle both did this for their conference championship games in 2014. I'm in pad right now, so I don't feel like linking. That being said, it's a stupid idea that was outdated as soon as StubHub became a thing.

Some venues are starting to block StubHub and other third-party tickets by requiring the person that originally bought the tickets to swipe their credit cards at the gate and receive their tickets once they're inside the building. And these printed-at-the-venue tickets can't be taken outside to whomever...once these tickets leave the building, the holder of these tickets can't get back in the building. These tickets, once printed, are already scanned, so you won't be granted re-entry.

Or, if they're printed tickets, they're checking ID's for the name that's printed on the ticket. If no one in the entering party can give a matching ID to their card and their tickets, they aren't granted entry.

A lot of drawbacks to these new restrictions, but they're done for two reasons: safety of the fans/guests and to regain control of the marketplace. So be careful if you go the StubHub or scalping routes.

I think for public relations purposes if nothing else, the NHL needs to step in and tell teams to knock this crap off with not taking out-of-state credit cards to keep Blackhawks fans out. It looks so Hooterville to have these teams trying to keep the "wrong" fans out of their buildings. Stop restricting your own commerce. Don't tell hockey fans you won't take their money.

This wouldn't be such a big deal if it happened in other sports, but as far as I'm aware it's only this. If I'm in the fan base that has this kind of attendance paranoia, I'm embarrassed.

Denver and Seattle both did this for their conference championship games in 2014. I'm in pad right now, so I don't feel like linking. That being said, it's a stupid idea that was outdated as soon as StubHub became a thing.

Some venues are starting to block StubHub and other third-party tickets by requiring the person that originally bought the tickets to swipe their credit cards at the gate and receive their tickets once they're inside the building. And these printed-at-the-venue tickets can't be taken outside to whomever...once these tickets leave the building, the holder of these tickets can't get back in the building. These tickets, once printed, are already scanned, so you won't be granted re-entry.

Or, if they're printed tickets, they're checking ID's for the name that's printed on the ticket. If no one in the entering party can give a matching ID to their card and their tickets, they aren't granted entry.

A lot of drawbacks to these new restrictions, but they're done for two reasons: safety of the fans/guests and to regain control of the marketplace. So be careful if you go the StubHub or scalping routes.

All of that is so stupid.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Would it not be fair to just open up 1 or 2 sections for away fans? Segregate them like they do in European soccer, make a cap on how many tickets are available, sell the lot of tickets in that section(s) to the Blackhawks, then they can sell them to STH or whoever online as a "travel pack." Both teams make money on it and that way the Hawks fans can still go to the game.

sport-scarf_celtic-2_zps105bfcbf.png

Tampa's Hooterville ticket policy now extends to rescinding tickets if you might sell them to Yankees, unless you're military, because of God and apple pie, presumably:

According to the Tampa Bay Times, Dhillon, 32, sold about half of his 41 home game tickets on StubHub during the season with no issues. Then he tried to sell Round 1 playoff seats for the Lightning’s series against the Detroit Red Wings. He was contacted by the Lightning’s sales and marketing department and was told they preferred he not sell the tickets, potentially to a Red Wings fan.

From the Times:

Dhillon was informed he had three options: Use the tickets, give them back to the team for games he couldn't attend or have his account canceled. Though it meant forgoing large profits on the secondary market, Dhillon didn't sell any more tickets for the next two rounds.

For the Stanley Cup final, though, he thought if he resold the tickets through Ticketmaster's resale exchange accessed through the Lightning website, Ticketmaster would block anyone outside Florida from buying his tickets. He sold two $290 tickets to Game 2 against the Chicago Blackhawks for $2,600 a piece.

But the out-of-state restriction did not apply to Ticketmaster's resale market, and Dhillon received another phone call from the Lightning front office. This time, he was told the Lightning was taking the rest of his tickets.

A day later, the team backtracked and said he could still use his tickets, but only if he personally picked them up from will call. He could not print them out and was locked out of his online account. If he wanted to give his tickets to another Lightning fan, he would have to inform will call who was taking his place.

He eventually gave the tickets to his neighbor … who sat in front of Chicago Blackhawks fans during Game 1.

Why was Dhillon singled out? Probably because of where he sits: Directly behind the Lightning bench, sometimes in clear view of TV cameras. And if the Lightning are going this far to make it appear the arena is covered in blue jerseys rather than Chicago red, they're going to target a ticket holder that in that kind of spotlight.

Here’s the thing: There is absolutely nothing in Dhillon’s agreement as a season-ticket holder that prevents him from selling his tickets on the secondary market, as he did during the regular season. Lightning CEO Tod Leiweke told the Times that it just prefers its fans to try “once, twice, three times to sell to Lightning fans” before putting the tickets on the market.

After the Times got wind of the story, the team quickly relented and Dhillon was allowed to print, transfer or sell his tickets online again.

"If a gentleman serving our country feels he was slighted, oh my god, we owe him an apology," Leiweke said told the paper.

And yet despite this nonsense having led to an ordeal for one of its most dedicated (and decorated) fans, Leiweke said the polices are in place because fans were tired of visiting fans “overwhelming” the arena. It's all about preserving the game-going experience for Lightning fans. At least in the postseason.

"I specifically apologize to this (captain),'' he said, "but I'm not going to apologize for our efforts to make sure this building is our home."

This is getting really pathetic.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I think we can all agree that the Lightning are a Sunbelt success story. They don't NEED to do this sort of stuff. That they do anyway projects insecurity about the strength of their own fanbase. And just makes them seem bush league.

As a Ducks fan, I understand the plight of the Lightning and their fans. You all saw the Chicago series (and the Kings series... And the Red Wings series... etc.). It's part of living where we do. People from other climes move here, but come out in droves when their team is in town. It sucks, it does. And part of me is happy that they're trying to do something about it, but this isn't the way to do it. This is getting ridicous.

But the other thing I've come to realize is you really can't do anything about it. You either have to buy the tickets before the out of town fans or don't sell them. Again, as a Ducks season ticket holder, I understand the allure of the money to be made selling tickets to certain opponents and especially playoff games. It really sounds nice. But we always bite the bullet and stick with the team. Partly because I want to be there and partly because of the fear the out of town fans will buy the tickets and I don't want to be responsible for that.

It sucks. It's a by product of where we live. But if you don't want it to happen, buy the tickets and show up. That's the long and short of it.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

What a disgraceful performance. Toews and Kane were void, Sharp should be shot dead in the airport, defense was a shambling mess of boiling feces. Tampa got some weird deflections to go their way and the Blackhawks played terribly. Congrats to American Pharoah.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

And for the 16th consecutive year, there will be no Cup Final sweep.

We had 4 straight from 1995-1998. Outside of that- only 4 since 1980 if you take out those years.

The NHL on Fox could not catch a damn break.

The Hawks' top six were worthless tonight, and they only lost 4-3. I am worried about precisely nothing.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Archived