Rite of Spring '15: exhume our idols! bury our friends!

The_Admiral

I'd consider twice or more a year a regularly, and we know that one of the current top teams, the Blackhawks, has a propensity for dragging things on.

No. The game started at 6:40, I believe. And the Anaheim people bitched that we don't know their traffic and said the game should have stated an hour or more later.

And it wasn't so much of an argument as an observation. NHL games take long. NHL playoff games often go to overtime and, multiple time a year, those games go 2 or more overtimes. It's not really good to have games end past 2 EST once you get deep into the playoffs and have no scheduling conflicts. Other sports league generally start such unopposed games no later than 6 pacific. It sucks, but there's not much they can do about it. But that has seemingly devolved into "They should start all games at 4 central" or something.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It wasn't just you. There was much bitching from the Blackhawks social media contingent about that one 8:30 start as if they're too important a fanbase to be forced to stay up late.

Every time thereafter has been a joke from me because if you're going to complain about something so whimpy then expect to get some grief over it especially when you're one of the top two most successful teams of the last 5 years.

PvO6ZWJ.png

NHL.com claims it was scheduled at 9:00pm EDT. (Presuming we're talking about the May 19 game.)

A weeknight 6pm local time is an unusual start time anywhere, though I suppose West Coast people might well be used to it when the playoffs roll around. Any earlier than that on a weeknight would be super-silly.

Also, while I might have previously rolled my eyes at the traffic comment, I learned first-hand this weekend that even on a Saturday, SoCal highway traffic is ridiculous, never mind trying to get into Dodger Stadium. Egads.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

I'm still trying to figure out how to react about the Blackhawks being the current-CCSLC-loathing-via-success-equivalent of the hated Cardinals. That being said, I'm still clearly not able to even rationally post without coming off as defeatist or pessimistic. I clearly can't handle it very well 100% of the time, so I've been trying to stay off of basically all internet things until after the games. Even that isn't enough, I guess.

You non-Blackhawks fans who think we're spoiled, you're right - for the last handful of years we have been, and the trend doesn't appear to be changing anytime soon, but don't do this revisionist history crap. Blackhawks weren't in the playoffs for a decade, had the then-worst owner in sports give the finger to the television medium, and went 41 years between championships. If anything this success is severance pay for decades of Bill Wirtz and routine playoff exits.

Is it cool to like the Blackhawks? Damn right it is. I don't know what fans are supposed to do about the negative perception, but that's just how it goes. Bandwagoning will always happen and a percentage of fans will stick around and make the team part of their lives. A larger percentage just kinda like their kickass uniforms and will only show up when they make the playoffs, but that's just how it is in every damn city with a bigtime professional sports team, no less Chicago of all markets.

Am I a "bad fan" because I want the Blackhawks to start earlier than 8pm CT? Am I a "bad fan" because I take extremes with my opinions, calling close losses "disgraceful," etc? Am I a "bad fan" because I don't take losing with much dignity? --- I don't believe that those are things that make anyone a bad fan. An obnoxious fan, sure, but I'm an opinionated ass, and that's what makes me me. Don't make me the poster child for the resident fan base just because it suits your narrative. Sodboy is easily the "CCLSC avatar" I would choose for the Blackhawks, which hurts me a bit since he's a Packers fan, but he's got a solid temperament and doesn't take any of this bullcrap too seriously. OldRoman does a fine job as well, and admiral is at least profoundly eloquent when he tiptoes through the CS85-dug pools of irrational hockey despair.

McCarthy's jabs smack of the same bitter flavor that I'd expect from an intensely butthurt Ducks fan, but I think even they don't put the heart into their vitriol to the same extent that McC does. I tip my hat to them for keeping the ribbing light. It just weirds me out. I'd almost expect that variety of insult-fishing from Kings fans, but they wouldn't spell the words right or are still waiting for a Chrome plugin that supports writing responses in a browser with crayons. Dammit, I just insulted several fan bases in blanket fashion.

I guess you can just kinda forget all of this, then.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

McCarthy's jabs smack of the same bitter flavor that I'd expect from an intensely butthurt Ducks fan, but I think even they don't put the heart into their vitriol to the same extent that McC does.

Kind of like how the Ducks don't put any heart into their playoff performances since 07... They could have swept Chicago...

I’ve never heard a Blackhawks fan proclaim that their team plays hockey the right way so you’re already streets ahead of the Cardinals. It’ll be decades of sustained success and “best fans in hockey” declarations before the Blackhawks reach a Cardinals level of self-righteousness.

I actually don't hate the Blackhawks. As far as regularly successful teams go, they're probably the least annoying, and I go as far to say that I often admire the team. I found myself pulling for them in the first two games and that somewhat surprised me. Tampa is a good, entertaining team, but I don’t think they’re ready.

My only issue with the Blackhawks is this new thing with the fans where it feels like they’re reaching for anything new to complain about and that is a little irritating and deserves some good natured ribbing. I get that old habits are hard to break, but c’mon. You haven’t been a bad team since 2008.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I’ve never heard a Blackhawks fan proclaim that their team plays hockey the right way so you’re already streets ahead of the Cardinals. It’ll be decades of sustained success and “best fans in hockey” declarations before the Blackhawks reach a Cardinals level of self-righteousness.

I actually don't hate the Blackhawks. As far as regularly successful teams go, they're probably the least annoying, and I go as far to say that I often admire the team. I found myself pulling for them in the first two games and that somewhat surprised me. Tampa is a good, entertaining team, but I don’t think they’re ready.

My only issue with the Blackhawks is this new thing with the fans where it feels like they’re reaching for anything new to complain about and that is a little irritating and deserves some good natured ribbing. I get that old habits are hard to break, but c’mon. You haven’t been a bad team since 2008.

As long as it's good natured, I'm down as hell for people to break our collective balls.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Would it not be fair to just open up 1 or 2 sections for away fans? Segregate them like they do in European soccer, make a cap on how many tickets are available, sell the lot of tickets in that section(s) to the Blackhawks, then they can sell them to STH or whoever online as a "travel pack." Both teams make money on it and that way the Hawks fans can still go to the game.

A section for away fans isn't a bad idea in theory, in fact that's what they do with hockey here in the UK. But I feel that it creates hostility between fans, especially when the biggest rivals are in town.

Yes, it's a good idea in theory, but it must be done right. We can't have a Hockey Hillsborough.
Wasn't Hillsborough not because of hooliganism/fighting, but because of too many Liverpool fans in the standing room section and the section was substandard?

Exactly my point. If you are going to segregate opposing fans, y have to make sure they are up to par and that regard for human life takes priority over rivalries and such.

I don't think that's a problem in the United States. It may be in England, but that's because most English soccer stadia were originally erected by street urchins and immigrants with limited training and poor prospects for social advancement.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Do triple-overtime games happen often enough to consider that "regularly"?

Wasn't the game that started all the complaining hosted by a Pacific Time team at 6pm their time?

No, it was an 8:45 puck drop in Chicago against Nashville that started the complaining.

I'm still trying to figure out how to react about the Blackhawks being the current-CCSLC-loathing-via-success-equivalent of the hated Cardinals. That being said, I'm still clearly not able to even rationally post without coming off as defeatist or pessimistic. I clearly can't handle it very well 100% of the time, so I've been trying to stay off of basically all internet things until after the games. Even that isn't enough, I guess.

The whole hockey world seems to be rooting for the Lightning, whether it's Red Wings fans rooting for Yzerman and Cooper, Blues and Canucks fans rooting against the Hawks as they should, or all warm-weather cities rooting against a cold-weather city. Just gotta deal!

My only issue with the Blackhawks is this new thing with the fans where it feels like they’re reaching for anything new to complain about and that is a little irritating and deserves some good natured ribbing.

Come on, we had a home game start at a quarter to 9! I've defended road games starting late, but that was stupid, especially in a league that realigned to give the Red Wings a season-long loving handjob over start times.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Would it not be fair to just open up 1 or 2 sections for away fans? Segregate them like they do in European soccer, make a cap on how many tickets are available, sell the lot of tickets in that section(s) to the Blackhawks, then they can sell them to STH or whoever online as a "travel pack." Both teams make money on it and that way the Hawks fans can still go to the game.

A section for away fans isn't a bad idea in theory, in fact that's what they do with hockey here in the UK. But I feel that it creates hostility between fans, especially when the biggest rivals are in town.

It's not a very good idea, really.

Much like college and pro football games are here, soccer games in Europe aren't so much games as they are events. Usually one game a week, held on the weekend, giving the road fans (as well as the home fans that don't live in town) time to travel to these games.

For hockey games, there's 3-4 games a week involving longer travel with fan bases that can't travel to every game. And some teams already play in cities where the locals can't get a ticket...those fans surely won't like it if, say, Toronto blocked off a section for Columbus or San Jose fans for a Tuesday game in January. Now sure, these unsold tickets can become available last-minute, but most folks attending games don't spur-of-the-moment decide to attend a game.

"The Triplets" is the worst nickname for a hockey line of all time. All it means is that there are three of them! That's any line! From The Production Line to this. Oh well, we'll just have to hope they run into trouble with Saad, Toews, and Hossa, or as the Blackhawk faithful lovingly refer to them..."The Hockey Players."

"The Triplets" is the worst nickname for a hockey line of all time. All it means is that there are three of them! That's any line! From The Production Line to this. Oh well, we'll just have to hope they run into trouble with Saad, Toews, and Hossa, or as the Blackhawk faithful lovingly refer to them..."The Hockey Players."

I was thinking this earlier during the conference finals. I guess because all three are kind of small and similarly sized? Remember when nicknames were clever?

Hockey is famously bad (add ey or er to the first syllable of any last name: Kaner, Tazer, etc. Ron Hainsey, a guy who's last name is already a hockey nickname, was "Hainszer" in the CBJ locker room!), but we still used to spend some time on these things before they were coined. I blame the fall of print.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Reasons why Bryan Bickell is on the 2016 Blackhawks roster:

twitter

Clever move, adding Mike Smith to the roster.

C'mon, man. That was an obvious call. I really don't see why the Hawks are so up in arms over this.

The line on Bishop tonight: 25 saves, one death, one resurrection

Archived