2015 NHL Golf Thread

BigBubba

And Kane's clearly a douche, but there's a giant difference between being a douche, a tool and rapist. Until he's charged and there's actually evidence he did it, it's silly to make such proclamations.

Agreed. It's actually libelous to make such proclamations until he's convicted.

• Replies 898
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Guilty or not, if the allegations against Kane don't qualify as a worst-nightmare scenario for the NHL they have to be awful close. After the Stanley Cup I wondered aloud if Kane hadn't leapfrogged over Crosby and Ovechkin as the league's biggest star; at the very least he has to be in the top three with them. For one of their A-list stars to even be indirectly or wrongly linked to a crime like this is a PR disaster for the league.

CCSLC signature.png

And Kane's clearly a douche, but there's a giant difference between being a douche, a tool and rapist. Until he's charged and there's actually evidence he did it, it's silly to make such proclamations.

Agreed. It's actually libelous to make such proclamations until he's convicted.

It's only libel if there was actual malice behind it.

See also New York Times Co. v. Sullivan

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Voynov was arrested on a Monday, and suspended on a Tuesday. I think we can all agree that raping a woman is at least as bad as hitting your wife, so IF Kane does get arrested, we'll get to see how the NHL feels about a lengthy suspension for one of its biggest stars.

21 national games next year... at least they'll have something to talk about.

Kane's last words as a Blackhawk could've been prefacing his own exit quite eerily.

Guilty or innocent, the guy has made this image for himself and should be buried with it. I'm not making my mind up yet since this is so speculative but the rape kit looks pretty terrible. Once the details come out, his career in Chicago will likely be over. The only way he stays is if the accuser takes an immediate payoff and the motivations become transparent, but even the slimiest gold diggers don't have lawyers that stupid when the stakes are this high. At this point I just want his hockey career to enter perma hiatus until he figures out how to treat people. Moving out of Buffalo would be a good start.

As far as Bernstein goes, I'm a fan when it comes to the trivial observations and typical mockery of sports radio, but anytime these real life moments broach the sports world he tries to do this Cronkite thing and it's cringeworthy. Jason Goff is simply a bad broadcaster and only has a job because Patrick Mannelly hated watching the Bulls.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Guilty or not, if the allegations against Kane don't qualify as a worst-nightmare scenario for the NHL they have to be awful close. After the Stanley Cup I wondered aloud if Kane hadn't leapfrogged over Crosby and Ovechkin as the league's biggest star; at the very least he has to be in the top three with them. For one of their A-list stars to even be indirectly or wrongly linked to a crime like this is a PR disaster for the league.

Kane gets hyped because he's American, more power to him, that's his market. Yet I don't think most average sports fans could point Kane out in a lineup without a jersey on.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

So, does the money you use to buy a rape victim's silence to protect the star player you recently signed long-term at $10.5M AAV count against the cap? Asking for a liquor baron friend.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

So, does the money you use to buy a rape victim's silence to protect the star player you recently signed long-term at $10.5M AAV count against the cap? Asking for a liquor baron friend.

Well, he doesn't play in the ACC or SEC... so the cops won't be on his side.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

Kane gets hyped because he's American, more power to him, that's his market. Yet I don't think most average sports fans could point Kane out in a lineup without a jersey on.

Most people couldn't tell who was who between Patrick Kane and Evander Kane without a jersey.

Well, he doesn't play in the ACC or SEC... so the cops won't be on his side.

Yes, I'm sure the police in a small town outside Buffalo would never play favorites with the multimillionaire native Buffalo kid who is one of the world's best hockey players.

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Kane is no better than any NFL idiot who can't let go of his idiot friends from back home. I can't believe it, but the dumb bastard was better off running around Wrigleyville.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Regardless of whether or not Patrick Kane is found guilty, the fact that most people's response to an allegation of him drunkenly raping someone is 'Hmm, seems legit' stands as a pretty damning character indictment

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

sorry sweetie, but I don't suck minor-league d

CCSLC Post of the day September 3rd 2012

Short of, like, John Tavares, who I'm pretty sure spends his time playing hockey, practicing hockey, or going to his local public library to take out books on hockey, I wouldn't put drunken rape past any NHLer. It's time people start bringing the toxic culture of hockey to light: the heavy drinking, the cocaine, and the constant degradation of women. It starts in junior and never stops, and mostly exists under cover of this narrative of hockey players as good (read: white) guys.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Short of, like, John Tavares, who I'm pretty sure spends his time playing hockey, practicing hockey, or going to his local public library to take out books on hockey, I wouldn't put drunken rape past any NHLer. It's time people start bringing the toxic culture of hockey to light: the heavy drinking, the cocaine, and the constant degradation of women. It starts in junior and never stops, and mostly exists under cover of this narrative of hockey players as good (read: white) guys.

jigga22.jpg

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

I am not saying this is good, but the only nightmare is if he gets convicted. Don't forget Kobe Bryant. He was accused and started the path down the legal system. Since that time, he's probably been the most beloved NBA player. It did not hurt the league at all. It made a small dent, largely since pounded out, in his image.

Only a conviction would do significant damage.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

It's entertaining to see how almost any discussion of this online just doubles down on the spec, where everyone seems to be confident in their knowledge of the legal process. I mean, the lack of a formal charge doesn't mean much one way or the other. If you're bringing about serious accusations against a star athlete in a sport where millions of dollars could be on the table, you best believe every letter is crossed and dotted. To keep saying, "Yea, it looks good they didn't charge him," or "They don't seem to have much of a case," is asinine unless you have some deep background on the whole situation.

"And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life... You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry... you will someday." 

Yeah, but is anybody on this board saying that? Admiral said he's certain Kane did it because white or something, but almost everyone else has avoided making proclamations one way or the other. The police didn't confirm or deny an investigation until today, and as of this morning just vaguely said they were in the process of investigating something without naming Kane. I haven't seen anybody claim the case was closed.

The absolute worst outcome for the NHL is if Kane had sex with this girl, she accused him of rape and he is acquitted. I mean, if he raped her and is convicted, it's terrible, but he's out of the league. Easy fix. But if he may have raped her but isn't convicted, it's going to be really ugly. It's obviously still bad for the league if the woman accuses him of rape but charges are never brought, but at least there's plausible doubt there.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Admiral's certain about a lot of things, but he's mainly just excited he gets to hate the Blackhawks again. They really let him down with all those playoff series he declared lost and over last year.

I think it's kind of senseless to say this is a symptom of a larger problem that's related solely to hockey. The young, mega rich, and mega famous in all walks of life for decades if not centuries have abused substances, women, and the law with aplomb. Sometimes they were bad people before the money and fame, sometimes after, sometimes it was just a bad night and bad luck.

We don't know anything yet, but his career is in her hands.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Archived