2015 NHL Golf Thread

BigBubba

I sometimes wonder how good Edmonton or Philadelphia could be if they hired people who were actually qualified to run a hockey team instead of closing their eyes, flipping through old media guides, and picking whoever they landed on when their kid yelled "STOP!"

The flyers would be the Yankees of the NHL. Neither money nor aggressiveness nor desire to win has ever been an issue with them. The issues have been loyalty, lack of foresight, and forgetting what decade it is.

It may be different now. Ed Snider seems to have given all of the keys to Hextall, who despite being "one of the boys" (my favorite of all time, since my first year watching hockey involved playing with rabbit ears to watch him win Conn Smyth through lots of static) was groomed in another system where he won a cup.

that's a pretty terrible comparison man.. Yankees won a World Series 5 years ago. Hit first rough patch in 20 years now their the Philadelphia Flyers? Who haven't won a Cup since Gerald Ford was in office.

• Replies 898
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you're gonna pick a New York team, the Knicks are a better choice. Big market, lots of big contracts, they make the finals once in a while, but they haven't won anything since the early 70s

The analogy is not "what are the Flyers like" but rather "what would the Flyers be like if they did X"

In that case BBTV's on point.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I sometimes wonder how good Edmonton or Philadelphia could be if they hired people who were actually qualified to run a hockey team instead of closing their eyes, flipping through old media guides, and picking whoever they landed on when their kid yelled "STOP!"

The flyers would be the Yankees of the NHL. Neither money nor aggressiveness nor desire to win has ever been an issue with them. The issues have been loyalty, lack of foresight, and forgetting what decade it is.

It may be different now. Ed Snider seems to have given all of the keys to Hextall, who despite being "one of the boys" (my favorite of all time, since my first year watching hockey involved playing with rabbit ears to watch him win Conn Smyth through lots of static) was groomed in another system where he won a cup.

that's a pretty terrible comparison man.. Yankees won a World Series 5 years ago. Hit first rough patch in 20 years now their the Philadelphia Flyers? Who haven't won a Cup since Gerald Ford was in office.

You didn't read my post.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Do the Jets move Byfuglien this summer rather than lose him for nothing next summer? I can't get a read on his market value; he giveth as much as he taketh away. I could see the Kings putting him to good use, and they have good assets to send back.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Big changes to the Oilers front office were just made official.

Chiarelli in as GM and POHO, McTavish out, and Lowe reassigned to the entertainment group.

McDavid to the Oilers was (obviously, but in more ways than one) the best thing that could have happened to the oilers right now, it looks like it's forcing them to kick themselves back into shape.

Woah... McTavish AND Lowe out? Those are... smart decisions? ...by the Oilers?!

McDavid is already dictating the shots and he's not even on the team yet!

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Wow. Grown-ups are in charge. Now to get a coach.

Not just a coach, but a real NHL caliber coach... Bylsma? MacLean? McClellend, Babcock? Jullien should he become available?

NHL level defensemen would be nice too

I'd imagine that if the Bruins were planning on canning Julien, they'd've done so (double-contraction haha!) when they fired Chiarelli.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Archived