Football uniform questions

Cleveland Fan

I asked this first one in the Browns thread but it got Jag-Jacked (not complaining, in no position to given all the Cleve-jacking that occurred here earlier) and then the leaks came:

Can an NFL team get a uniform made to spec (i.e. have some design it for them and tell Nike to just make the design they sent them) or does the team's right to do anthing more than reject a Nike design end if they change from their design from the last year with Reebok?

Does anybody still make helmets with the old "dull, but not matte" finish (example below)?

Bernie_Kosar_23e0.jpg

We live in a world that promotes "over-designing," not just in sports uniforms. Brands, ads, cars, etc. If it can be over-designed, you do it. So, the muted, dull finish you refer to, is just a victim of this, I believe.

"I believe in Auburn and love it!"

ojNNazQ.jpg

It's called "impregnated" shell color.. It's just the finish when the helmet plastic is dyed and molded into that color already, instead of being painted or otherwise colored with a separate medium.. The chiefs still use that, albeit with a lot of "clear coat", but team's with a single, solid, non-metallic color are likely using this exact finish.

if i understand you correctly, then it's a hard question to answer because i dont know what the details are of the Nike / NFL contract. But, when Reebok had the deal there was opportunity for teams to go outside of Reebok for uniform design. The Jaguars previous uniform was designed by a local agency. As far as any design goes though, it begins and ends with NFL Creative. it all has to pass through there. im fairly certain the Vikings, Panthers, Buccs, Jags latest logo updates were done within NFL Creative as well.

as for helmet finishes, what you're looking for is satin. interestingly enough, the picture you posted of the old Browns helmet seems to be exactly what they just implemented. its a solid color with a satin finish. the Seahawks helmet is painted the same way. The Buccs and Vikings both have a satin finish but the paint is a bit different. HGI calls it "HydroSkin" which from best i can tell is a solid base color with either a metallic mixed in or is an ultra fine flake, coated with a satin finish.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

I was curious as to what finish to call the new Browns helmet myself. It looked to be somewhere between a true satin and a true gloss. I looked it up and posted about this in the Browns mega-thread, so it got buried pretty quickly. WSU had commented that it looked to be the same finish as the Seahawks. I did a little research and found a blurb from HGI saying they used a semigloss finish for Seattle.

The helmet features a HydroSkin® semi gloss blue finish with HydroSkin® feather print center stripe.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.338244159557768.72105.127620767286776&type=3

My NFL concept series (in progress) --ATL, CLE, NE, WAS done. AZ updated 04/21/23.

Archived