College Football: Nike Mach Speed (Auburn 7/2)

aawagner011

I love what you did with my Vols! I'd be thrilled if we wore those in real life. The only thing I would change is the state flag logo on the back of the helmet, I feel that our helmets are too traditional to change. Great job on these!

4qot2w.jpg

10mvl7t.jpg

1rb7dw.jpg

The Carolina ones are great, except for one thing- the triple stripe with our current uniforms has significance to the University. Our main part of campus, The Horseshoe, has eleven buildings, just as the football uniforms have eleven stripes (3 on the helmet, 4 each on the helmet and pants).

PHI ALPHA! SIGMA ALPHA EPSILON. CAROLINA GAMECOCKS. ST. LOUIS CARDINALS. ST. LOUIS BLUES. ORLANDO CITY SC. JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS.

sc_gamecocks_sig1.png

Here is UNC. It is fairly similar to the new sets they just released with some tweaks.

-It uses all the new marks, including the logo, argyle, number font, etc.

-Consistent argyle striping application. The new set uses contrasting argyle on the jersey and pants while the helmet uses the argyle amidst a stripe. All argyle applications are consistent here.

-The outlines of the striping are consistent with the basketball uniforms.

-Instead of a black alternate, navy blue is used, similar to the navy of the past.

Not all combinations are shown, but these are some of my favorites.

nfiayx.png

2rokkmp.png

2ugi9hf.png

spyzrl.png

• 1 month later...

Next up is Auburn:

Auburn doesn't see too many changes, they have a very classic look which shouldn't be overhauled. I did update a few things, however. I changed the pants stripe to match the helmet and jersey. I used a tweaked number font and also introduced a gray facemask. This logo-less and gray mask combo was one of my favorites. An orange alternate finally emerges after many decades. Finally (and this is one of my favorites), a fauxback is added to the mix. Auburn is so classic that they shouldn't be adding in many new variations or mixing and matching helmets or pants. This fauxback is a standalone piece, which is based off of the 1913 jersey. The problem with a lot of throwback sets is that you get awkward leather helmets or tan pants, so the inspiration is taken from that jersey and carried throughout the rest of the uniform. The navy blue helmet and pants are not to be mixed with other pieces of the set.

w8uq00.png

2znzqds.png

3355wu0.png

v4rx1x.png

I like to share any Auburn concepts I see on here on twitter, and just so you know, Auburn AD Jay Jacobs favorited the tweet with your photos.

I'm not feeling the new font. It just doesn't seem to fit. Not with the old font plus the Copperplate used in the wordmark and in other sports. I'm honestly a little torn on the facemask. I initially thought it was a downgrade, but the more I look at it, the more I don't dislike it.

"I believe in Auburn and love it!"

ojNNazQ.jpg

Thanks for the comments.

As to the font, it's really just a minor adjustment to the Staubach type font. Where there would be little notches, they are now straight lines. I don't think Auburn football should wear any radical new font, so I thought this was a fairly subtle update.

I knew right from the start it wouldn't work, but I did test Copperplate, just for kicks...that font should never be seen on a football uniform. It works great for the wordmark, but since it's so wide, it looks rather awkward for numbers. I know Auburn basketball has a decent version, but it is more vertical.

And that's awesome about JJ! Wonder why he would do that? Maybe he wants to have some ideas saved or likes the throwback? Who knows? Very interesting.

Here is the Staubach font for reference:

staubach-font-3-big.png

Could you possibly do the orange alt with the blue and white inverted on the jersey?

The fauxback is one of the best auburn concepts I've seen especially since I'd never want the primary changed

Here is UNC. It is fairly similar to the new sets they just released with some tweaks.

-It uses all the new marks, including the logo, argyle, number font, etc.

-Consistent argyle striping application. The new set uses contrasting argyle on the jersey and pants while the helmet uses the argyle amidst a stripe. All argyle applications are consistent here.

-The outlines of the striping are consistent with the basketball uniforms.

-Instead of a black alternate, navy blue is used, similar to the navy of the past.

Not all combinations are shown, but these are some of my favorites.

nfiayx.png

2rokkmp.png

2ugi9hf.png

spyzrl.png

You may be the first non-NC native ever to call UNC Carolina.

But anyway, these are all just perfect! I can't wait to see what you do to my Pirates!

Archived