Making PSD templates more GIMP-friendly

MChrome

Hello everyone, new member here.
Long time listener, first time caller.
Been a fan of this great site for a long time, finally decided to sign up.

After finishing my pocket pro collection, and NCAA teambuilder collection, my latest uniform obsession is using & making templates.

There are some amazing templates here, but many of the best ones are not usable by GIMP.
The file & layers will open, but you wont be able to do anything with it.
I have discovered why that is, and how to fix it.

Sometimes, the problem is just the order of the "filter" layers (texture, shadow, reflection, etc).
You might find the player is missing body parts, or the background is messed up, or its a completely solid image.
To address this simply move the filter layers/group to the top.

After doing the above step, sometimes there is another problem, that no desired colors are "flowing" through the filter layers to color your image...you cant change the color of the uniform.
To fix this you must find the group containing the filter layers, take each of the layers outside the group, and place them at the very top, in the same order they were in.
Evidently they dont work on GIMP when they are contained within a group, unless the desired color layer is also in the group.

After doing all this, sometimes there is still another problem, that you cant separate the colors into individual items...the entire image blends with the same selected color.
This happens because apparantly all the layers that were intended to color specific areas, are instead showing as a completely solid color...the entire layer blends one color.
I am guessing that the "cutouts" (cropped individual selections) intended to mask the layer are somehow lost in the process when opening a PSD file with GIMP.
So we must create the layer masks ourselves, and place them either right on top of the layer, or next to the layer as a layer mask.

Fortunately, some files contain layers containing elements that are already cropped, or that can be easily cropped.
But it still requires some work to make them fit perfectly so the image looks right.
More specific elements would require more specific cropping.
If the file contains no crops we would have to make the layer mask from scratch, which is obviously alot more difficult.

Might post some images of the steps or examples.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey there and welcome to the boards. And before hand, I would love to thank you for all the help.

I've had this issue when downloading some templates, that the whole colour of a layer is all over the place. I didn't know how to remove the colour and just keep it for that specific object in the layer, so I had to manually take the eraser tool and erase the excessive colour surrounding the object. I don't know if this is just an issue coming from GIMP, but if the creator of the template had done this on purpose, and if so do you know if there is a quick way to remove the excessive colour, because doing it manually took days of my time.

Also I've noticed if I use the fill tool, the fill is very pixelated and goes slightly over the outline do you know how to fix that.

Thank you for your time and help, if your still confused I'd gladly post images.

Thanks for the replies.

From the time i posted this topic, ive learned even better ways of cropping to create the desired layer masks.

The main step is finding a layer within the template that contains a good outline of what we want...whether its filled in and the outside is blank, or vice versa.

If no layer like that can be found, we would have to mess around with all the layers until we create an image that can be cropped the best.

Could you post what templates it is you are working on? Would make it easier to show you, or maybe i could just fix it for you myself.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies.

From the time i posted this topic, ive learned even better ways of cropping to create the desired layer masks.

The main step is finding a layer within the template that contains a good outline of what we want...whether its filled in and the outside is blank, or vice versa.

If no layer like that can be found, we would have to mess around with all the layers until we create an image that can be cropped the best.

Could you post what templates it is you are working on? Would make it easier to show you, or maybe i could just fix it for you myself.

Can I just say, I am very, very, very sorry about the late reply. Since this post I have been really busy with school and haven't been on the laptop for a whiiiiile.

So if you're still up for it, I would love to send it again, just when summer break starts fro me, which is just around the corner.

Once again very sorry, not only for the late reply but also for the unwanted bump.

Thanks for the replies.

Can I just say, I am very, very, very sorry about the late reply. Since this post I have been really busy with school and haven't been on the laptop for a whiiiiile.

So if you're still up for it, I would love to send it again, just when summer break starts fro me, which is just around the corner.

Once again very sorry, not only for the late reply but also for the unwanted bump.

No problem at all man.

Send me the file whenever you are ready and ill take care of it for you.

Regards.

First off thank you MChrome for your patience and understanding.

Is GIMP better than Paint.Net?

I would say yes, by a whole lot. It also always depends on the user, so check it yourself and see if you feel comfortable with it.

Archived