In search of Larry O'Brien: 2015 NBA Playoffs

buzzcut

That would be my guess too.

The Bulls sure have acrimonious splits with their coaches, don't they? Doug Collins left in a pretty ugly way, the Jerrys kicked Phil Jackson out the door, Scott Skiles was hung out to dry, and Vinny Del Negro got punched in the face. Now, Thibs has had to deal with hearing that all this crap is his fault and he's going to be replaced by Fred Hoiberg. The Bulls are such a crappy organization.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 944
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is all personal observations/perception, but the Bulls have always come off as extremely unlikeable. It's almost more unflattering now in spite of their improved performance (comparing to the Floyd/Cartwright era teams). I mean, how many teams in pro sports talk about firing their coaches in the midst of regular playoff appearances and perceived title contention? It's almost a given, at least among Bulls fans I know, that Thibs will be fired since he's the only singular figurehead that they could come up with to blame, despite the actual failures being spread among management and players alike.

Then again I don't follow the Bulls intensely enough to have a fan's insight into the situation, I just kinda dodder through the news.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

This is all personal observations/perception, but the Bulls have always come off as extremely unlikeable. It's almost more unflattering now in spite of their improved performance (comparing to the Floyd/Cartwright era teams). I mean, how many teams in pro sports talk about firing their coaches in the midst of regular playoff appearances and perceived title contention? It's almost a given, at least among Bulls fans I know, that Thibs will be fired since he's the only singular figurehead that they could come up with to blame, despite the actual failures being spread among management and players alike.

Then again I don't follow the Bulls intensely enough to have a fan's insight into the situation, I just kinda dodder through the news.

Sounds about right to me. They have a weird way of doing business because of Reinsdorf. He doesn't believe in negotiating with agents for coaches, for example, and tried to intimidate Skiles into (and maybe even succeeded at) signing a contract without any representation. Basically, Reinsdorf sees John Paxson as a surrogate son the way he sees Kenny Williams as a surrogate son, so John Paxson will never be gotten rid of, and Paxson will always be fixated on big hard-working white guys like Doug McDermott, who it turns out is thoroughly incapable of playing professional basketball in North America, so not much will ever change.

One thing that was nice the other day was that during CSN's pregame show for Bucks-Bulls Game 1, they had Gar Forman sitting with the hosts on the United Center concourse, and he was greeted by a bunch of people standing behind him yelling "THIBS! THIBS! THIBS! THIBS! THIBS!" Bulls fans know what's up.

Paxson will always be fixated on big hard-working white guys

[/chicagosprots]

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Yea go Raps! They the North! Ever since Drake named Toronto after me I feel obligated to support his fine city. They on fleek!

3-6 so far despite having homecourt advantage twice, and two fairly beatable opponents. Chalk up another loss for Global Ambassador Drake.

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

Sounds about right to me. They have a weird way of doing business because of Reinsdorf. He doesn't believe in negotiating with agents for coaches, for example, and tried to intimidate Skiles into (and maybe even succeeded at) signing a contract without any representation. Basically, Reinsdorf sees John Paxson as a surrogate son the way he sees Kenny Williams as a surrogate son, so John Paxson will never be gotten rid of, and Paxson will always be fixated on big hard-working white guys like Doug McDermott, who it turns out is thoroughly incapable of playing professional basketball in North America, so not much will ever change.

One thing that was nice the other day was that during CSN's pregame show for Bucks-Bulls Game 1, they had Gar Forman sitting with the hosts on the United Center concourse, and he was greeted by a bunch of people standing behind him yelling "THIBS! THIBS! THIBS! THIBS! THIBS!" Bulls fans know what's up.

Unless McDermott has the Thibs second year jump. Butler, Snell, etc. But if Thibs is gone we'll never know.

Hope the Bulls win the whole thing and we don't have to worry about the second Iowa State import.

After the Floyd years I don't understand how anyone can take 7 straight playoff appearances for granted, especially the Bulls' front office. Sure, Vinny led the first two and got dumped, but Thibs took it to the next level (from 41-41 to 62-20). Who's out there who can do that now? Hoiberg is not the first name that comes to mind.

Vinny got dumped because he was a freaking idiot. I've never claimed to be a basketball savant, but from a sheer management/leadership standpoint, it was painfully clear that the guy was in way over his head. Most of that was his own fault for being such a dumbass, but someone decided a guy with no coaching experience would be a great coach for a team with a #1 overall pick. And whether that was Reinsdorf (my suspicion -- he went over Kenny Williams's head to hire Ozzie Guillen) or Paxson, that person is still here. And those people will still be here. Most teams would keep the coach who keeps squeezing 48ish wins out of crappy rosters and fire the general manager who trades up to draft Doug McDermott.

It was proof that anyone could get that Bulls team to .500 and the playoffs. Thibs and his tendency to fight for every game got the team to 62 wins and the ECF.

But that constant push is also what got Thibs in trouble. There are some games you just have to let go. And no NBA season more than this one made that concept more obvious. (But for the benefit of the league, they should probably make it less obvious that even the good teams "tank" individual games with their DNPs.)

All that said, the Bulls are in good shape at the start of the playoffs instead of worn down in a pointless push to 60 wins. I hope the result is a deeper run.

For all the good he did in game one, Blake Griffin sure killed the Clips in OT tonight.

San Antonio deserves a lot of credit for pulling out the win. Manu and Parker were out in crunch time, Duncan played with five fouls with 3 minutes in the fourth, and Patty Mills turned into a machine at the end.

Even though just one series is split so far, the first round has been pretty great so far. Note that I haven't watched a second of the Wiz/Raptors nonsense.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

The Spurs basically just won the series tonight.

They got the one road win they needed. They're going home, where they have been next to untouchable over the last month and a half save for Kyrie going off for 57.

Good season, Clippers.

For all the good he did in game one, Blake Griffin sure killed the Clips in OT tonight.

San Antonio deserves a lot of credit for pulling out the win. Manu and Parker were out in crunch time, Duncan played with five fouls with 3 minutes in the fourth, and Patty Mills turned into a machine at the end.

Even though just one series is split so far, the first round has been pretty great so far. Note that I haven't watched a second of the Wiz/Raptors nonsense.

Yeah Blake was untouchable tonight, but he coughs up the ball with the team up two with like eight seconds left. Then again in OT to pretty much seal their fate.

They showed they can bang with the Spurs if need be, but making those mistakes in clutch moments can't happen.

The Spurs basically just won the series tonight.

They got the one road win they needed. They're going home, where they have been next to untouchable over the last month and a half save for Kyrie going off for 57.

Good season, Clippers.

The Clippers have been the better team in the this series. If they didn't completely f*** up in the final 20 seconds, they'd be up 2-0.

Maybe this sports thing just isn't for you.

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

Anyone know why the "Playoffs" logo isn't on the courts this year? I haven't heard anything regarding the removal of the logos anywhere. Other than the Playoffs logo on the padding of each basketball goal, at first glance you wouldn't know its a playoff game. I wonder if some sort of logo will be added for the Conference Finals?

alkaline-trio_logo-with-heart.jpg

Archived