NBA Fee to change primary logos gone?

stumpygremlin

I remember hearing that there is/was a fee that had to be paid to the NBA if a team wanted to change its primary logo, and that this would be why teams would have recolors of primary logos that were almost never used (Washington, Atlanta, and Utah come to mind).

Now that I see that Washington and Milwaukee are introducing new primary logos, is that fee gone?

GoldenPanthers.png
RiverHawks.png

I don't think "lazy" is really the word you're looking for.

Yeah i think the word you are looking for is cheap.

The loophool they can do though is..You can introduce a new secondary logo and market it as a primary but all the while technically its not the "official or primary" logo.

shado_logo.gif

I don't think "lazy" is really the word you're looking for.

Yeah i think the word you are looking for is cheap.

The loophool they can do though is..You can introduce a new secondary logo and market it as a primary but all the while technically its not the "official or primary" logo.

See, I don't understand why some teams opt to take that loophole though anyway. Some teams like Atlanta and Minnesota have been able to get away with it, because the logos look like they fit together. In the case of Utah though, it's a jarring mess to be told the music note mark is the primary, when you still the mountains logo on apparel seemingly everywhere (not to mention on the freakin' ROOT Channel scoreboard and ticker, also). I just don't get how anyone with responsibility pertaining to marketing and branding would sign off on that and be okay with it. If I were in that position, I'd pony up and pay the fee without hesitation if it meant better brand unity.

It's dumb to have an extra fee at all, but if it must be paid, I'd say long term it's worth it. Might as well pay it now rather than 5-10 years down the road when you're likely to do it then anyways.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

Archived