Redesigning my high school

timberwolf

Try to get rid of the negative space because it is way too prominent. You can achieve this by either adding something, thickening the black outline(s) of the shield, scaling down the shield, upscaling the typo or scrapping the shield completely. I would also change the typeface. You're using a block font that doesn't really fit in with the sword – by the way: that's the Cavaliers sword, right?

The fact that the logo is everything but colorful and apparently is supposed to be like that, makes it a lot harder.

Never argue with an idiot! They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.––George Carlin

Quick questions:

1. It the name of the school "King's" or is the team name "The Kings"? Just want to make sure that apostrophe is ok.
  2. Do you want to emulate a cross on the shield? If so, you should make the post the same width as the bar, and place the sword (which should be smaller) inside.
  3. Is this a bishop's cross? If so, again, make the bars the same width.

Advice:

1. One border, made thicker.
  2. Split the motto on either side of the sword; OR
  3. Place the motto on a scroll underneath.
  4. Be concious if this is meant to be a corporate logo or an athletics logo.

Keep going!

Sorry, couldn't resist!

KINGS1.jpg

Keep in mind that this is a super rough draft!

I don't think that's the sword you want, either. Unless your team name is the Cavaliers. Otherwise look to a more medieval sword, and think about inverting it.

Yes our name is the Cavaliers, and we are a Christian school so we are King's Christian Collegiate. I was thinking of adding a lion and ram on either side of the sword, which is supposed to make a cross, yes...

Did you just take the sword from the Cavs logo?5b916c9359c6332e443098183aaae6a8.jpg

"You play to win the game...Hello. You play to win the game." - Herman Edwards

"We talkin' bout practice?" - A.I.

"What’s that? Ah — playoffs? Don’t talk about — playoffs? You kidding me? Playoffs? I just hope we can win a game! Another game." - Jim Mora

I say you should have stuck with the old colors. maybe have the cross be silver and the rest of the shield be black. make the soli deo gloria larger, and cut the symbols and the kings christian colligate. this would make simpler yet bolder

I happen to like the colours; I see that those are your school colours any way. Something to bear in mind when it comes to school logos: 99% of the time there are two distinct identities, one for the educational/corporate brand, and one for the athletics/spirit brand. I suggest you do a quick search for "athletics branding guides." You can learn a lot from what other colleges and universities are doing, especially those in the U.S. The Washington Huskies, Dartmouth Big Green and Arkansas Razorbacks are a few that come to mind as having comprehensive logo guides and branding standards.

That said, your shield logo could work, but it needs to be simplified to the point that it is instantly recognizable. The school motto is probably best left to the corporate logo, as well as the full name of the school. IF you use any text, just go with KING'S. Or a capital 'K'.

Consider this:

A shield with a cross.

Two crossed cavalier swords behind.

A fancy "K" on top.

You are looking to use elements that are common in the study of heraldry, and this is a thorough (if rather dull) guide: http://www7b.biglobe.ne.jp/~bprince/hr/foxdavies/index.htm . Chapter 9 has a section on using crosses on a shield. You are probably going to need either a standard heraldic cross or a "passion cross".

Good luck!

I like heycurly's advice of a bold cross inside the shield with the sword over the vertical part of the cross.

What if the shield shape contained the above elements and motto only,

with the school name on a banner either below or above the shield?

I like the red, blue and silver colour scheme.

Okay so a lot of you suggested to make an academic logo AND an athletic one so I started an academic one...

white%20back_zpshw4rjpmx.png

The only thing is, it doesn't have the name of the school or the motto but I think the K symbolizes the name...thoughts?

Archived