Redesigning my high school

timberwolf

A lot of artists use clip art pieces for concepts, it's not abnormal, but if you really want, I'll make it look my own...

What artists use clip art? Clip art is terrible and you're better making your own. You're being lazy and don't want to spend time on it.

u3J7jjd.png

A lot of artists use clip art pieces for concepts, it's not abnormal, but if you really want, I'll make it look my own...

Not only is it illegal, it shows that the "artist" is either lazy, doesn't care, can't make a logo themselves, or all of the above.

spacer.png

Without going too far into it one way or the other, if you're going to design a logo, then design a logo. There's a difference between taking references and inspiration from something and flat out copy/pasting and calling it your design.

So here's my thoughts on both logos:

ATHLETIC.

I'm unsure of your mascot. It doesn't read as Cavaliers to me. I see a shield at first glance, but that's it. However, you don't see "Cavaliers" at all. Not even in an actual word-form. I'd start there, for sure.

As for your "tough not to copy the Cavs" comment - Yes. You're right. It is tough NOT to copy an established, recognizable brand. But that's the challenge in this type of work. Being original. If you want to use a sword, look at how many types of swords there are. Surely ONE of them will speak to you. Or hell, illustrate a physical person to act as your Cavalier. But the shield by itself? It just doesn't do it for me.

ACADEMIC.

What I see here is: the same shield shape, The letter K, a book, a crown of thorns and three spikes. Individually, they all make sense. However, they're rendered so differently that it's actually confusing to see them together. Roman Caps, Semi-blobby clip art, a tribal tattoo, and jagged edge graphic of the spikes (That jagged edge leads me to believe you just used the paint-bucket on a photo of three spikes isolated on a white background. Not everyone will pick up on that, but professionals likely will.)

My advice is: pick 3 fonts - 1 for the academic, 2 for the athletic. Use that Roman Caps font that you've used in your Letter K. Focus on the typography for the academic logo. IF you use imagery, don't make it the forefront. You want people to read it. For the athletic, go with a bold display-style font with a nice complimentary font. Conrad has some great choices here in the forum. Pick 2 colors, and a white/black (4 all together) to make your imagery for the athletic logo. Most importantly, take your time. No one - NO ONE - puts their best ideas down first and goes all the way through with it. You make ideations/side-thoughts along the way, and modify your original idea to put forth the best thing possible.

You have ideas. Clearly. But I think you're in a little bit of a hurry to make those ideas into a reality, and in doing so, you're sacrificing quality. Nothing speaks higher of a concept than the amount of polish it has.

Mods, please do not delete this thread. I think this could be used as an excellent learning tool for a lot of people - beginner and pro alike.

Sidenote - on your school's website, "Enrollments" is misspelled. On the homepage. That's a little embarrassing. http://www.kingscollege.qld.edu.au/

Okay thanks for all the advice...coming from what you said, I'll need to change;

-the Cavaliers identity (sword or person)

-change fonts

-focus on DESIGNING it more, not taking inspiration from others

I'll work some more!

Okay thanks for all the advice...coming from what you said, I'll need to change;

-the Cavaliers identity (sword or person)

-change fonts

-focus on DESIGNING it more, not taking inspiration from others

I'll work some more!

Taking inspiration is fine. Taking someone else's work and calling it yours is not.

K5fNCxS.png

I realize that this resembles the Raptors new logo and I didn't realize it up until this second but here's a start to my athletic crest...

credits to ClipartPanda for the basketball template

The lettering is a bit wacked so ill fix that....

Archived