LA Clippers New Logos & Uniforms?

bartodell

Ugh...

The thing that irks me the most about the new logo is that it doesn't look like anything. It's a freaking wordmark. Even if the current logo is nothing but a basketball with motion lines, it at least looked like something identifiable. This...this is just...ugh.

• Replies 898
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Boy that picture really sums it up Huh. The NBA is a disaster ... There's only like 8-10 logos I don't hate in a league of 30 teams. Many of them have better partial/alternate logos like the Nets, Jazz, Rockets, Suns, TWolves, on and on. But the NBA insists that THESE Are the primary logos we have to go off of them -- and they all suck out loud.

You've got that backwards about the Nets. Their primary shield logo is much better than their silly alternate B-ball logo.

But the secondary shield-minus-city is better than both of them.

Ah, yes. I definitely agree that the shield alone is the best logo. But I don't think that that's what we mean when we refer to the Nets' "secondary logo". That's just a version of the primary; I think that references to "the alternate logo" in the Nets' context will mean the B-ball logo. And it is the shield alone (a version of the primary logo) which is used by the TV networks for Nets games.

we'll have to agree to disagree because I happen to think the B-ball roundel logo is their best option. The shield seems slopped together to me. But either way we can agree that their "primary" logo with brooklyn above the shield sucks
goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

Ugh...

The thing that irks me the most about the new logo is that it doesn't look like anything. It's a freaking wordmark. Even if the current logo is nothing but a basketball with motion lines, it at least looked like something identifiable. This...this is just...ugh.

Well said. Its also hard getting past the similarity to EA Sports.

Ugh...

Well yeah... the Lakers logo.

Clippers have a CLEAR IDENTITY (Clipper ships) but they continue to use something borrowed (Lakers ripoff logo, EA Sports logo,or the same logo used to commemorate Allen Iverson's retirement).

NBA-LAKERS-CLIPPERS-logo.jpgai-logo.jpg?1392156378

85590_front.jpg

Doesn't make any sense why they won't at least try and change their name to something Hollywood then like the old ABA LA STARS.

NBA20130575.jpg

If they gonna steal or borrow something at least it makes sense and can relate to their surroundings.

shado_logo.gif

Average Joe isn't going to see the EA similarity. I would never have even thought of it had it not been posted here. Even having it pointed out, I think it's a bit of a stretch. The iverson logo comparison is even more of a stretch (and even fewer people would catch that one.)

There's been so much hyperbole expressed about this logo that it's getting silly. It's obviously not the popular choice, or even that well done, but it's far from the travesty that it's being made out to be.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Average Joe isn't going to see the EA similarity. I would never have even thought of it had it not been posted here. Even having it pointed out, I think it's a bit of a stretch. The iverson logo comparison is even more of a stretch (and even fewer people would catch that one.)

There's been so much hyperbole expressed about this logo that it's getting silly. It's obviously not the popular choice, or even that well done, but it's far from the travesty that it's being made out to be.

I'll be honest here any say that I didn't see the EA Sports similarity without someone here pointing it out either, despite me owning several NBA Live games.

However, it's not hyperbole. The logo really is that bad. Look at it. Look at it again. I can't think of a worse indentity change I have ever seen, possibly in the history of sports. That's not hyperbole, that is my honest opinion.

What makes this such a bad move is that if the Clippers were going to overhaul their identity, they had such an interesting theme to work with. No team in the NBA comes anywhere close to fully embracing any sort of nautical/marine/ocean type theme. The Clippers were in a perfect position to do something like this and could have had such a fun and interesting identity.

Instead, they ...

-keep boring and overused red and blue.

-add black, and not even as trim, but as the freaking wordmark (as if to add insult to injury).

-have a primary logo that is not only boring, but could basically looks like the template for a generic basketball team. This is something that might have been fine in 1950, but in 2015, with so many teams, teams should be embracing their identity and doing something to stand out, at least a LITTLE bit, with their primary logo.

There are other problems too, but those three things are enough to justify the reaction this identity is getting. One could make an argument that OKC was just as bad in a lot of ways, but I feel that that was more of a "rush job" just to get an identity together. This new Clippers identity does/did not have to be a rush job, so I don't feel they have the same excuse to come out with such a subpar logo.

I can't think of a worse indentity change I have ever seen, possibly in the history of sports. That's not hyperbole, that is my honest opinion.

Worse identity change? Let me help jog your memory ...

7195_new_york_islanders-jersey-1996.png

1280px-Buffalo_Sabres.svg.png

toronto-blue-jays-logo_facebook_timeline

I can't think of a worse indentity change I have ever seen, possibly in the history of sports. That's not hyperbole, that is my honest opinion.

Worse identity change? Let me help jog your memory ...

7195_new_york_islanders-jersey-1996.png

1280px-Buffalo_Sabres.svg.png

toronto-blue-jays-logo_facebook_timeline

At least these had something to do with their names. In all honesty too, the Bluejays logo wasn't that bad, it was just the overuse of black that made the uniforms really bad.

I'll be honest here any say that I didn't see the EA Sports similarity without someone here pointing it out either, despite me owning several NBA Live games.

However, it's not hyperbole. The logo really is that bad. Look at it. Look at it again. I can't think of a worse indentity change I have ever seen, possibly in the history of sports. That's not hyperbole, that is my honest opinion.

It's all of our honest opinions. 99% of the Sports Logos community feels this way.

But causual fans won't care about it too much. And from what I've learned, those same causual fans (who far outnumber sports logo enthusiasts) are going to eat up all the new merch that's going to come out. The Clippers are gonna be a top seller, just because it's new stuff. And people love to buy new stuff.

Clippers have a CLEAR IDENTITY (Clipper ships) but they continue to use something borrowed (Lakers ripoff logo, EA Sports logo,or the same logo used to commemorate Allen Iverson's retirement).

Why do NBA teams have this specific obsession with incorporating equipment into the logos? I would almost love to see a separate thread dedicated to general graphic design theory in terms of the branding differences between the four North American leagues.

Tf9TG.jpg

Why do NBA teams have this specific obsession with incorporating equipment into the logos? I would almost love to see a separate thread dedicated to general graphic design theory in terms of the branding differences between the four North American leagues.

Just in case the court and hoops weren't a dead giveaway, they wanted to make sure fans KNEW they were watching basketball

The NBA definitely has the highest proportion of teams showing athletic equipment used in their sport.

NFL: 4 (12.5%)

NHL: 6 (20%)

MLS: 8 (40%)

MLB: 12 (40%)

NBA: 22 (73.3%)

NFL has 4: Buccaneers, Jets, Browns, and Raiders.

NHL has 6: Avalanche, Penguins, Sharks, Capitals, Hurricanes, and Islanders. Hurricanes center is a stylized puck. 7 total pieces of equipment, though (Caps have two).

MLB has 12: Red Sox, Twins, Yankees, Mariners, Rangers, Blue Jays, Rockies, Dodgers, Brewers, Mets, Giants, and Cardinals.

NBA has 21: Hawks, Celtics, Nets, Hornets, Cavs, Mavs, Pistons, Pacers, Clippers, Lakers, Heat, Pelicans, Knicks, Thunder, Magic, Sixers, Suns, Kings, Raptors, Jazz, and Wizards. Arguement for 22 is that the Rockets' logo is taking off through a hoop.

MLS has 8: Rapids, Crew (stylized ball in crest), Dynamo, DC, Revolution, Red Bull, Earthquakes, and Real SL.

NFL has 4: Buccaneers, Jets, Browns, and Raiders.

NHL has 6: Avalanche, Penguins, Sharks, Capitals, Hurricanes, and Islanders. Hurricanes center is a stylized puck. 7 total pieces of equipment, though (Caps have two).

MLB has 12: Red Sox, Twins, Yankees, Mariners, Rangers, Blue Jays, Rockies, Dodgers, Brewers, Mets, Giants, and Cardinals.

NBA has 21: Hawks, Celtics, Nets, Hornets, Cavs, Mavs, Pistons, Pacers, Clippers, Lakers, Heat, Pelicans, Knicks, Thunder, Magic, Sixers, Suns, Kings, Raptors, Jazz, and Wizards. Arguement for 22 is that the Rockets' logo is taking off through a hoop.

MLS has 8: Rapids, Crew (stylized ball in crest), Dynamo, DC, Revolution, Red Bull, Earthquakes, and Real SL.

I'd say you have to add in the new Bucks logo because the antlers are supposed to form the lines on a basketball.

Also, I edited my previous post to include the ones you pointed out. Even with the additional ones, none of the other leagues reach the level of equipment-containing logos as the NBA.

It's all of our honest opinions. 99% of the Sports Logos community feels this way.

But causual fans won't care about it too much. And from what I've learned, those same causual fans (who far outnumber sports logo enthusiasts) are going to eat up all the new merch that's going to come out. The Clippers are gonna be a top seller, just because it's new stuff. And people love to buy new stuff.

Just off the top of my head, the Buffaslug and recent Buccanears updates received even worse of a reaction than this change. Jaguars current helmet is consistently referred to as the worst uniform element in sports. There's likely other recent changes that were worse than this too.

Look I'm not going to argue against anyone's opinion - can't really say that an opinion is wrong- but I do think that this is one of thsoe typical CCLSC knee-jerk overreactions that will settle down once the real threads are revealed.

It's certainly not the direction I would have gone in - then again, 99% of the concepts that use cute boats or pastel colors would be worse in reality.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived