LA Clippers New Logos & Uniforms?

bartodell

I truly hope there is a fan revolt, and the current logo is brought back. I honestly think, despite being a Lakers rip-off, it is a classic logo complimented by a fantastic uniform combination. I think the current LAC logo could be redone, but that's just about it. Maybe they can salvage that terrible new CLA logo to replace it.

• Replies 898
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't see how the current logo is classic, or the uniforms either. It's a poorly drawn script on a pick-from-catalog jersey template. At least the most recent version of the script doesn't have the C filled in like the trashy one before it.

I honestly think that if the team sucked, most people would be panning their now former uniforms. This new stuff might suck, but I think they definitely needed a change, and while there are parts to what we've seen that suck, it's intriguing enough to me to give the actual uniforms a chance before trashing (and then I'll trash it just like everyone else if necessary.)

As for a boat, I don't think that major markets need to play up the mascot part of their identity. New York imagery is more powerful than any mascot could be. Same with LA and other major cities. The Bulls identity works, but mostly because they've had it forever and a bull is so easy to represent graphically. There's no real reason for the Knicks, Lakers, Clippers, and a few others to rely on their nicknames for an identity.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

This new stuff might suck, but I think they definitely needed a change, and while there are parts to what we've seen that suck, it's intriguing enough to me to give the actual uniforms a chance before trashing (and then I'll trash it just like everyone else if necessary.)

As for a boat, I don't think that major markets need to play up the mascot part of their identity. New York imagery is more powerful than any mascot could be. Same with LA and other major cities. The Bulls identity works, but mostly because they've had it forever and a bull is so easy to represent graphically. There's no real reason for the Knicks, Lakers, Clippers, and a few others to rely on their nicknames for an identity.

Regarding the uniforms, from what we can gather from the leaked Christmas uniforms they're not changing, other than the new scripts and logos. So make of that what you will.

Regarding the city vs. mascot imagery, I can understand what you're saying, especially with names like Knicks and Lakers that are hard to represent. But the Clippers have never used LA imagery (other than copying the Lakers' logo) and have a nickname that easily lends itself to nautical imagery. So I don't think generic or an LA theme is the way to go.

The center of the logo is a representation of a soccer ball, per a member of the Crew Supporters (Hudson Street Hooligans); the diagonal lines represent the other clubs of the inaugural MLS season; and the checkerboard represents the supporters, themselves.

Also, I wasn't quite sure of the pentagons, either. Good catch.

That (ugh) Hooligan is talking out of his hat. There's plenty of intended imagery in the new Crew logo, but no soccer ball.

CREW_Embed1.gif

The new Crew logo maintains the clubs traditional black and gold colors, but it now takes on a circular shape, designed to recognize the city's German heritage given the predominant tradition of circular crests in the German Bundesliga. The two rings that make up the circular badge also form an O which mirrors the O in the Ohio State flag.

"Our new badge and word-mark truly reflect who we are as a club, from our origins and historical accomplishments to our connection with Columbus and our unique fan culture," owner Anthony Precourt said in a club statement. "It's a timeless design and a strong statement for our brand."

The club's new name, Columbus Crew SC, wraps around the circle's outer ring and inside the heart of the logo are three key elements: (1) a 96 in reference to the year of the club's founding; (2) nine black-and-gold diagonal lines that highlight the nine other charter clubs that together with Columbus formed the 10-team league in MLS' inaugural season; and (3) a black-and-gold checkerboard pattern that serves as a nod to the supporters culture at Crew SC.

Am I a bad person if I love those Islanders and Jays logos?

Yes :upside:

The center of the logo is a representation of a soccer ball, per a member of the Crew Supporters (Hudson Street Hooligans); the diagonal lines represent the other clubs of the inaugural MLS season; and the checkerboard represents the supporters, themselves.

That (ugh) Hooligan is talking out of his hat. There's plenty of intended imagery in the new Crew logo, but no soccer ball.

Yeah, if a circle is all you need to say it's a soccer ball? Most MLB teams have "baseballs" in their logo.

Not seeing it in the Crew's case. Though the pentagon/soccer ball maple leaf in TFC's logo was intentional.

I truly hope there is a fan revolt, and the current logo is brought back. I honestly think, despite being a Lakers rip-off, it is a classic logo complimented by a fantastic uniform combination. I think the current LAC logo could be redone, but that's just about it. Maybe they can salvage that terrible new CLA logo to replace it.

Cases like the 49ers one-day helmet can't happen anymore. The new Clippers gear as been designed and produced. There are probably warehouses full of new gear with the new logo ready to hit the market. No way they cancel everything at what is essentially the last minute.

You misunderstand me :D I'm not a fan of either.

The Islanders look could have worked, if it were used an alternate mark, and on a more restrained sweater design. The combination of the wavy stripes/numbers and the fact that it replaced the logo of a dynasty doomed it from the start. It wasn't necessarily a bad mark, but the team botched its introduction. Sometimes that's all it takes to ruin something with potential.

As for that Jays logo? I hated it. Everything about it. Fixing it wouldn't have been as easy as just using more blue. That would have been just shining a turd. The whole look was garbage. You have no idea how relieved I was when the Jays unveiled their current look. Finally. My favourite team in all of sports looked like themselves again.

Yeah, if a circle is all you need to say it's a soccer ball? Most MLB teams have "baseballs" in their logo.

Not seeing it in the Crew's case. Though the pentagon/soccer ball maple leaf in TFC's logo was intentional.

Cases like the 49ers one-day helmet can't happen anymore. The new Clippers gear as been designed and produced. There are probably warehouses full of new gear with the new logo ready to hit the market. No way they cancel everything at what is essentially the last minute.

The Lightning managed to add black and bolts back on the pants after unveiling. Although those changes were relatively minor. I remember hearing it was too late to re-add the victory stripes though.

Exactly. The base uniform, and thus the merchandise ready to hit shelves, weren't changed. There are probably warehouses full of everything from jerseys to t-shirts to hate to wall clocks with the new Clippers logo or wordmark. All ready to go on sale as soon as the team officially unveils the new look. Nothing substantial is changing at this point. What we see is what we're getting. Unfortunately.

@Ice Cap..You are not alone..I love those Blue Jays and the Islanders rebrand. Guilty pleasure. They arent that terrible to begin with.

Agreed. The Islanders logo is great. Blue Jays is not that great for a team named the Blue Jays, but it's nowhere near the same category as the new Clippers logo. Even the Buffaslug is lightyears better.

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I'd share this -- I know some of you have already completed what you would have done if you were in charge of the LAC rebranding efforts. And I know some more of you would like a shot at it. I also know a lot of people here are certainly skilled enough to win this. As the winner, you would receive some exposure and a little chunk of cash.

ClipperBlog is accepting entries for a new Los Angeles Clippers insignia. Submissions* should include, but are not limited to: primary logo, secondary logo, home jersey and away jersey.

The prize: $150 and an appearance on ClipperBlog Live.

How to enter: Email images or links of design/kit to clipperblog at gmail.com.

Deadline for participants is Wednesday, June 10 at midnight. Happy illustrating and good luck!

*Artists retain all ownership rights to presentation kit.

http://clipperblog.com/2015/05/31/redesign-the-new-clippers-logo/

My NFL concept series (in progress) --ATL, CLE, NE, WAS done. AZ updated 04/21/23.

RIP (2013-2015)

9023_los_angeles_clippers-alternate-2014

Sleeves are awful, but if they got removed this jersey would be one of the best.

If I pretend that doesn't have sleeves it's one of my favorite sets in the NBA.

RIP (2013-2015)

9023_los_angeles_clippers-alternate-2014

Sleeves are awful, but if they got removed this jersey would be one of the best.

If I pretend that doesn't have sleeves it's one of my favorite sets in the NBA.

LMAO..so true every time i see them i always picture them without sleeves. A pure shame they never capitalized on this nautical theme.

shado_logo.gif

Archived