drakexedge's NFL Re-Design Thread (Steelers Added)

drakexedge

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Next up, the Philadelphia Eagles!

So much of me wanted to troll you guys by copying the Oregon Ducks uniforms, and throwing Philly's logos on it, but I decided that would be a gigantic waste of my time, so alas, here is my version of the Iggles.

- A triumphant return to kelly green puts the days of midnight green behind us.

- Used the Beaverton font that Conrad made because I wanted to go with a different number font than the ugly one they currently use, but still have something blocky and athletic.

- Tertiary color is a cool gray that I mixed based off of the old midnight green, which can be found in the primary logo, as well as the striping throughout.

- Black is prominent throughout making the set a perfect blend of classic and modern.

Aside from not being able to really come up with an alternate for Philly without going with a black jersey (which I figured you guys would hate), I think I did pretty well with taking the Eagles back to the Reggie White/Randall Cunningham days, but still modernizing them enough to make a set that would age well.

Let me know what you guys think, and who you want to see next!

phi-home_zpsx8h8odnw.png

phi-away_zpsm1bkyv5u.png

I like the Eagles a lot. Offers a nice balance of traditional and modern. The return to kelly green is great to see, and I loved the shade of grey you created. It has a bit of a green tint to it, which works well. My only suggestions would be to make grey more prominent in the striping to better reflect the logo and wings and have green pants as a road option.

Also, as an aside, I was amused that you used Oregon State's number font for the Oregon Ducks of the NFL :D

Updated Philly:

- Added a pattern/texture to the wings on the helmet as well as the numbers, and all of the striping.

- Made the silver more prominent throughout.

- Tried silver pants on the away set, but didn't look as good as the green.

- Number font is here to stay, as I think it compliments the look in the way that I wanted it to.

Pretty small updates, but they take the Eagles look to the next level, and add more modern flare than they had before.

phi-home-v2_zpswgaelskr.png

phi-away-v2_zps43zrvowy.png

The only thing I see that I would change is the sleeve stripe on the white jersey. It's not bad, but I think green should be the main color in the middle. Instead of G/B/S/W/S/B/G, maybe try B/S/W/G/W/S/B. Just a suggestion :)

spacer.png

The only thing I see that I would change is the sleeve stripe on the white jersey. It's not bad, but I think green should be the main color in the middle. Instead of G/B/S/W/S/B/G, maybe try B/S/W/G/W/S/B. Just a suggestion :)

So in other words, make the striping on the away jersey match the numbers?

The reason that I didn't do this in the first place is because the jersey stripes wouldn't end up being consistent with each other throughout the set.

I can give it a whirl though to let you guys decide which looks better.

• 2 weeks later...

So I was going to wait on the Steelers because I am biased towards their current uniforms, but the draft got me really excited, and made some ideas brew in my noggin, so I took a crack at them early.

- Starting with the helmet, the stripe gets a little thicker, and the number is (basically) contained inside rather than split by the stripe as they have it now. Stripe also has a "brushed steel texture".

- Home/Away get a silver/gray facemask.

- Logo has a slight update: Switched the text to uppercase, and changed the font. The gray circle gets also gets the "brushed steel texture". (Easier to see in the logo to the right than on the helmet.)

- Striping pattern gets modified to have a bridge structure where the thickest yellow stripe once was. Pattern is taken from the structure of the Fort Duquesne bridge downtown.

- Numbers/names get updated to Conrad's "George Fox" font, and they also get a silver/gray outline. I selected it because I like the fact that the numbers are traditional looking with some modern flair to give the overall set a vintage, yet modern look.

- Name on back stays yellow for home, get yellow with black stroke on away.

- Pants basically stay the same, but have the bridge striping implemented in.

As for the Alternate set, well I had two different ideas and couldn't quite decide on which one is going to stick.

- First one gets a yellow lid with a black mask.

- Black jersey with all gold details.

- Black pants with gold bridge stripe.

- Gold socks.

I took influence from the 60's throwbacks they wore a few years ago before they switched to the "bumblebee" set.

Speaking of which, that's where I took influence for the 2nd alternate option, which gets:

- The same helmet as the home/away set.

- The bumblebee jerseys with the stripes substituted for my bridge striping pattern.

- The same gold pants they currently wear with that set, except they get a thick black stripe.

- Gold and black bridge striped socks.

I really wanted to stay away from the gaudy tacky designs most people do for the Steelers that have diamond plate everywhere and just overall make them look like a completely different identity than what they have had for over 80 years. Overall, I would say that this is my favorite concept that I have done thus far (again biased opinion, lol), and and I hope you guys enjoy it as much as I do.

Let me know which alternate you guys like more. I'm personally leaning towards the "bumblebee" set.

As always, C&C appreciated, and I'm looking forward to hearing who you guys want to see next!

pit-home_zpsiwstmbys.png

pit-away_zpsdw8vnrst.png

pit-alt_zps6tityf9n.png

pit-alt-2_zpsedm0htcr.png

In my opinion, the bridge pattern is too much. Maybe sublimate it if you really want to use it.

Also, the pants on the bumblebee set (still) look bad. They look like they are dirty, and they clash badly with the jersey. (I know you basically kept what they currently use, but it looks awful in real life.)

award%20sig.png

Source for bridge:

18788FortDuquesne.jpg

I'm afraid I can't really simplify it much more than that. Lol

As far as sublimating goes, I don't think it will look right, at least not for a team like Pittsburgh.

Also, their alt set is one of my favorites in the league because of how old school they look, and the pants add to that. I don't think they look dirty at all, they're simply tan/khaki in color.

Also, their alt set is one of my favorites in the league because of how old school they look, and the pants add to that. I don't think they look dirty at all, they're simply tan/khaki in color.

Well, we'll just have to disagree on that; I hate how the khaki and gold clash. But this is your thread--if that's what you want to go with, that is your prerogative.

award%20sig.png

Well, we'll just have to disagree on that; I hate how the khaki and gold clash. But this is your thread--if that's what you want to go with, that is your prerogative.

I can respect that, but I'm curious to know what you think would look better. I'd be happy to give a shot, but simply saying "the pants are ugly" doesn't exactly help, and caused me to get a little defensive. Lol

The bridge pattern is certainly unique and something I've never seen before. I am intrigued, and I think you may be on to something with that, but something seems a little off with them. I can't quite put my finger on what, though. I get what you're saying how sublimating the pattern may not fit the team's identity but it might be worth a shot to see what it would look like. Besides that, I like the return of the grey facemask and the placement of the numbers on the front of the helmet.

I can respect that, but I'm curious to know what you think would look better. I'd be happy to give a shot, but simply saying "the pants are ugly" doesn't exactly help, and caused me to get a little defensive. Lol

Fair enough, sorry about that. I think black pants would look best with your design. White would also work, I think... I know that would go away from them being quite as tied to history; but you are substituting the black stripes for a bridge pattern, so you are already moving away from what the uniforms originally were.

award%20sig.png

Fair enough, sorry about that. I think black pants would look best with your design. White would also work, I think... I know that would go away from them being quite as tied to history; but you are substituting the black stripes for a bridge pattern, so you are already moving away from what the uniforms originally were.

I agree that black pants would probably work best on the bumblebee jersey.

These are looking great so far, I really like what you did with the Eagles.

P.S. davidmiller5, those awards that you have in your signature for the pheonix challenge, is there a thread for the results of that competition? I have wondered what ever happened to that competition since I only saw the start of it on the concepts page.

Acts 16:31 - And they replied: "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you will be saved, you and your household."

John 3:16 - "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him shall not perish, but have everlasting life."

John 14:6 - Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father, except through me."

I like that Steelers set a lot... I would get rid of the gray altogether and sublimate the bridge over black for all applications (or use a very dark charcoal gray on black to give it the same effect as being sublimated). It's a bit to busy/gaudy at this point.

BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

I really like the bridge design for the Steelers, but I agree that the colors could be changed. I would go with yellow instead of grey. It would add some much needed yellow to the jerseys and match the actual bridge that inspired it. I'd also make the sleeve caps black on the white jersey. The thin black lines, while matching the current look, looks weak IMO. Lastly, I would go with a thick single stripe in the pants to match the helmet. The bridge design is a little too much for the pants.

Archived