Raysox's Racetrack Restoration

raysox

13 hours ago, mbannon92 said:

Glad to see this back, Mike! Digging what you've done with Pikes Peak. The crescent shapes stands are a unique look, and the logo is really sharp. And I like the heavy use of purple - different but I think it would look nice.

I think it works for what it does. I think having the grandstands bathed in purple is unique and sharp-looking in my opinion.

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, MBurmy said:

Good to see it back ;) 

Whenever it comes up, I got a feeling Milwaukee Mile's gonna be awesome too...

I think I'm done for a while. Though the Mile could be salvaged, I always just really wanted to do the 4 in this thread!

Thank you everyone for the kind words.

• 8 months later...

Couple updates! I'm pretty close to finishing a 5th track, and have plans for a 6th. 

My roommate is a finance major here at Florida State, and our good buddy who we go to races with has a hospitality degree. I have a Sport Management degree, and I joke that we're going to go into business together. So here is the logo for when we buy all these tracks to flip. Trademarks be damned!

Seminole-01.png

But it's back! We could call this the second season of this series. In Pensacola, there's a historic short track. Every year, they host the Snowball Derby in the winter, which is a big late model race. The track surface is abrasive, and I think it would make a nice edition for NASCAR. So to flip this, a lot of it had to do with the infield. Currently it has a small pit lane and a bunch of random roads in the middle. I paved over it all and built a garage to host the cars. I expanded the seating, with a lot of bleachers, just because I wanted to keep the general admission policy for weekly racing series. I did some amenities to help make this track more modern. That includes a scoreboard and a video board. 

Pensacola is known for being under 5 different nations, hence the name. So with that, I would make the 5 flags flying over the west turn more prominent. 

Pretty basic stuff, but I wanted to play with patterns and shading more and more.

5Flags-01.png

Sit tight, I will post another tomorrow!

Wow thanks guys, I war pretty bummed working on this for a week and not getting any comments, but I appreciate it all. I'll write up the next one.

Also 5 Flags is asymmetrical, and I figured since I would keep the surface the same, there's no chance that I could fix it.

Just north of St. Pete, there is a tiny quarter mile track. It was always known as Sunshine Speedway, and then it closed for a few years. Almost razed, the site reopened as "Showtime Speedway". The site has a small drag strip, the figure 8 quarter mile, and a small BMX course. I felt like this would be a good change from my normal tracks, and add more to the whole thing

So that brings us to below. I would turn this whole area into a functioning facility. Repaving the track, I would do a concrete, higher banked track with asphalt infield. The stands would wrap around the front stretch and turn 4. Installing lights to the outside would improve sight, and To help fans and sell ad space, 

The stands would stack to a plaza area with concession and a 360 degree commentary booth high above the drag strip and track. On the other side of the plaza us small stands for the drag strip.

With plenty of parking available, competitors have their own parking lot with immediate access to the garages. My plan is having as little of a carbon footprint that a race track could have, while still becoming the premier motorsports park in the Tampa Bay Area.

Sunshine-01.png

I can't really comment on the track layouts themselves as oval racing is a pretty foreign concept to me - not being from North America and all that.

But everything else you have considered, such as commentary booths, parking, lighting, seating etc, makes for some interesting concepts to read through and view. As usual they are very well presented - even by your high standards.

UBI FIDES IBI LUX ET ROBUR

How about a revival of the original Daytona beach course.

Idea for a road course would be Laguna Seca, i know it is still an active course but it feels like it needs to revived. That and a re-imagining the Cleveland Airport Road Course as a permanent facility.

st__louis_aces_player_sig___tom_davis_by_verasthebrujah-d9w1l6u.jpg

new_orleans_krewe_player_sig___qb_donny_minor_by_verasthebrujah-dbd786h.jpg.04fb6ee08e3d6de5abf371b4fd8bf0bf.jpgmiami_suns_sig_by_verasthebrujah-da7emd5.jpg

Archived