Could Austin, TX support an NHL team?

Austin isn't that weird.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Get in line behind Quebec City, Seattle, Las Vegas, Kansas City, Portland, Hamilton, Toronto, Salt Lake City, Oklahoma City, & maybe Atlanta if they had a bazillion dollars.

I'd also add Houston and either Cleveland or Cincinnati. Maybe even San Antonio too.

It would be a smaller market team in an area with no hockey background, which normally a bad thing, but the nearby Stars haven't exactly been the best attended team in a much larger city (not saying their attendance is bad, but could be a little bit better). Plus on top of that, they don't have an arena that could host a team any time soon. They got a rink nearby which currently hosts an AHL team, which for this market is good enough for now.

Sporting Venue Count (for games): OHL: 19 (28 Total)- 770 games (after 18-19),

MLB: 13 (15 Total), NHL: 4

Highly doubtful. Texas, no arena, college town, Texas, etc. Also public transit in Austin is pathetic.

Side note, why are some people so keen on the idea of plugging NHL teams into American small market cities that already have NBA teams, aka direct competitors? Every time the NHL relocation/expansion discussion comes up there's always somebody bringing up places like Portland, Salt Lake, San Antonio, OKC, etc. NHL in Austin would probably be a better deal than all of those cities plus Atlanta, Miami, Phoenix, and maybe even Houston, just because the sports marketplace is flooded in those cities, not so much here. Not that any of this means much because they're all terrible places to stick a pro hockey team and Saskatoon could probably outdraw all of them.

The city of Austin has already decided against pro sports for the time being, but if the NHL wanted to go to Austin, I think it would be a better host city than at least Oklahoma City, Salt Lake City, Cleveland, and Cincinnati. While hockey in Texas may sound outrageous, the area supports the Texas Stars (AHL) relatively well, despite the arena being 25 minutes from the city of Austin itself. The U of Texas doesn't have a hockey team as far as I know either, so there would be little competition. Also, the Frank Erwin Center sits 16,540 for basketball, which means the hockey capacity is probably somewhere around 15,000. That would make for a nice temporary arena until a better one could be built.

Maybe I have Bettman syndrome or something, but I think Austin would not be a horrible choice to put a team.

The city of Austin has already decided against pro sports for the time being, but if the NHL wanted to go to Austin, I think it would be a better host city than at least Oklahoma City, Salt Lake City, Cleveland, and Cincinnati. While hockey in Texas may sound outrageous, the area supports the Texas Stars (AHL) relatively well, despite the arena being 25 minutes from the city of Austin itself. The U of Texas doesn't have a hockey team as far as I know either, so there would be little competition. Also, the Frank Erwin Center sits 16,540 for basketball, which means the hockey capacity is probably somewhere around 15,000. That would make for a nice temporary arena until a better one could be built.

Maybe I have Bettman syndrome or something, but I think Austin would not be a horrible choice to put a team.

The Texas Stars pull in a little more than 5000 a year in a suburb that is right next to Austin. And no, that is not a capacity crowd for the arena.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

To be fair, Cedar Park is 34 minutes from Austin. The Coyotes play in an arena that is 19 minutes from Phoenix and the Coyotes fans (some actually exist) complain of how far the arena is from them. I'm not even taking traffic into account, and I've heard that Texas traffic is absolutely horrible. If the Austin NHL team played at Frank Erwin Center in the actual city of Austin, I think the team would be more viable than say Arizona or Florida.

To be fair, Cedar Park is 34 minutes from Austin. The Coyotes play in an arena that is 19 minutes from Phoenix and the Coyotes fans (some actually exist) complain of how far the arena is from them. I'm not even taking traffic into account, and I've heard that Texas traffic is absolutely horrible. If the Austin NHL team played at Frank Erwin Center in the actual city of Austin, I think the team would be more viable than say Arizona or Florida.

And the Erwin Center wouldn't provide the proper revenue stream.

Plus, it is scheduled to be demolished by no later than 2023 for the Dell Medical Center and the city is relying on the university for a replacement than doing it themselves.

The Erwin Center would be a temporary home until a new arena is built. It wouldn't work full-time though.

When a new facility is built, the University of Texas will be the primary tenant, thus the majority of the premium seat revenue and advertising signage will be theirs.

Back to square one.

"More viable than Arizona or Florida" is not exactly a high threshold to hit. And could still not hit the "actually viable absent massive league assistance and intervention" threshold.

Today, we are all otaku.

Archived