Sign in to follow this  
SiLeNt WaVe

Bombers Baseball (Roundel Help!)

Been messing around with this the last few days and I'm at a standstill (stuck more like it). Originally I liked the idea of the roundel baseball to be the focal point, but I got to thinking it actually needed more in the "bomber" aspect. The one thing I don't want to use is the outline of a bomber plane. I think that's been done and the ones out there are great. I'm thinking an actual bomb outline or something along those lines.

C&C is appreciated, and thoughts of where I should take it next would be helpful. Just keep in mind that it was done in about 3 hours, so I know nothing is perfect and there are a few mistakes in there. Got the idea and plugged it in before I lost it in my mind. Thanks!

Bombers_zps3rhxq1kn.png

Bombers1_zpsjkx1uj63.png

This is a logo that our local Brazos Valley Bombers use:

BrazosValleyBombersLogo.jpg

My initial thought is that the baseball is too plain. It definitely draws the eye and feels empty/boring. Maybe put a letter of the city/area in it.

How about the gap between the "wings"? I originally had them up tight to each other but something looked off.

I think make the baseball look more like a baseball (stitching), it looks kinda like a basketball. Do that and it's good!

Just in case you're interested, here's a logo used by the Tri-City Americans (WHL).

jufh87i7gwq3ao8mnjvuzphxq.gif

Your idea seems to line up pretty well with their design. In my opinion, it doesn't look like there's much interesting going on that makes the Americans logo. Same goes for your logo (right now at least). I think the "wings" concept could work, but I think it'll take a lot of creativity and ingenuity to make it look good.

I had never seen that logo before. But it is pretty bad. I can maybe see why they wanted to center the star up in the I in AMERICANS but it throws the whole word off center. And it looks like everything was just pasted in.

And again like I said, I put mine together in a few hours with an idea I had in my head. Never put anything to paper just went straight to illustrator. So yes there is more work to be done.

Thought about using a fuse in the baseball for bomb aspect but I feel it'd be too cartoonish. Another idea I had was to make the wings look like baseball bats.

For reference here's the version where the wings are touching. With the wordmark it looks better than it did by itself but something still feels off.

Bombers1_zpsjkx1uj63.png

Touching looks better, IMO.

As for that Americans logo, the word isn't centered with the logo. Can't unsee lol

Never even thought of the propeller idea.

I'd like to do something as far as a cap logo, like an interlocking set of letters. The idea was based around Montana Bombers (mainly the fire bombers based in Missoula) so an MB would be considered. Only problem is Milwaukee used one back in the day so something original would be tough.

*EDIT*

Here's a quick mockup of the MB I was considering.

BombersMB_zpsf3nqwczp.png

MB1_zpsfjm5toha.png

How do you all feel about this as a possible tertiary? Obviously needs tweaking and additions, but I kinda like where it could go.

Bomb_zpsp3uyocrq.png

I would lose the stars around the baseball and add stitching to the baseball (as was mentioned above). The stars make it too cluttered for a tertiary logo and don't add much, in my opinion.

I thought the same, so I added a little more to it, and rotated it 45* to add a little dramatic effect.

Thoughts?

Screen%20Shot%202015-04-30%20at%201.46.2

I really like the tertiary's. Main is alright. I feel like the "plane" aspect needs to be shrank a little more. And it may be just me, but the rounded ball/wings make it contrast and feel a little weird with non-rounded text, if that makes sense.

I thinking you need to extend the "tank" on the logos and shorten up the ball on the nose.