Unused Logos and Uniforms

Good job on both of those sets. I only have two comments/questions:

1.  That Toronto Giants identity is a mess.  Terrible logo, generic font and a color scheme that totally abandons the team's history.

2.  Are you sure the Tampa Bay wordmarks have orange in them?  Based on the wood grain surface in the background, the original pictures are in color and don't appear to include any orange. It's hard to tell exactly what the second color is, but it doesn't look like orange.

• Like 2

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

2 hours ago, Gothamite said:

I dunno - I think you're right with the wordmarks, but those cap logos look off.  It looks in the screengrab as though the orange letters might have a white outline.  Or, failing that, are thicker than yours.

I was basing the letter proportions off of the 1983-93 Giants’ (and 1985-2003 Padres’) cap logos. I thought it was more in keeping with team tradition. However, you’re definitely right about the white outlines and thicker letterforms.

p8KOX9q.png

Wj8RmNQ.png

6U8JjS6.png

I think that’s much closer to the renderings from the video. Thanks!

4 hours ago, leopard88 said:

Good job on both of those sets. I only have two comments/questions:

1.  That Toronto Giants identity is a mess.  Terrible logo, generic font and a color scheme that totally abandons the team's history.

2.  Are you sure the Tampa Bay wordmarks have orange in them?  Based on the wood grain surface in the background, the original pictures are in color and don't appear to include any orange. It's hard to tell exactly what the second color is, but it doesn't look like orange.

Thanks! The Toronto Giants “proposed logo” wasn’t the only one.

I assume that both proposals, a traditional and radical rebrand, were considered. Of course, the royal/kelly one was a bit more interesting/a scarier prospect to me. I think @the admiral put it best:

...but I gotta say, that blue and green Toronto Giants logo looks exactly like what I would expect from the time and place. It looks like a diverse 30-person committee designed it to accomplish about twelve different goals, but none of them very well, and it's appropriately hideous for something which should not be. 

As for your other question, the team was most likely (like, 99.99% likely) to maintain orange in Tampa Bay. None of my research indicated a color change (Stadium for Rent, the most detailed retelling of the Tampa Bay team hunt, said nothing about a color swap when describing the prototypes), so I’d chalk up any color issues to video compression/VHS recording.

• Like 4

Guys on the other thread discuss about cooperalls, so I googled to search something about them and I found this:

reebok_pants_flyers_long_wc.JPG

From what I read Cooperalls was supposed to be used in 2012 Winter Classic Alumni game, but Bobby Clarke refused and other players followed him, so they all wore short pants.

• Like 2

4r2eer.png

• 2 months later...
On 9/28/2018 at 8:31 AM, pepis21 said:

Real photo of Milwaukee Bucks alternate from 04/05:

xb2DJYM.jpg

If this had been their original road jersey, they could have kept these.  They really dropped the ball going all-in on purple when they'd always been green + some other color up to that point (and since).

That script is a beaut.  Get rid of the dropshadow and it'd look as good as when the Brewers used it.

• Like 7

5 hours ago, NicDB said:

If this had been their original road jersey, they could have kept these.  They really dropped the ball going all-in on purple when they'd always been green + some other color up to that point (and since).

One thing has been clear to me for years: if the 90s alt with the big buck had been purple, I doubt it is looked at as nostalgically as it is.

• Like 2

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

On 3/18/2019 at 2:22 AM, PepMan33Conde said:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-AUTHENTIC-COLUMBUS-BLUE-JACKETS-PRO-PLAYER-JERSEY-SIZE-52-SEWN-NHL-/132524159226

Didn't know the Blue Jackets once sold their home jerseys that featured a sublimated mesh that was patterned after the US flag. What's funny also is it's a Pro Player jersey.

r2dmmIN.jpg

I thought they wore these for their first season, if not first few seasons, before they made things solid. 

On 3/18/2019 at 10:19 AM, Discrimihater said:

One thing has been clear to me for years: if the 90s alt with the big buck had been purple, I doubt it is looked at as nostalgically as it is.

It was actually the first jersey I can remember liking because of the color. I thought the Bucks looked wrong in purple even back then and thought the deer unis made them look like themselves again.

• Like 3

On 1/9/2019 at 2:45 PM, SFGiants58 said:

The Giants had several unused/prototype logos from their attempted moves to Toronto and Tampa Bay.

HRdfeA7.png

ScreenShot2011-11-10at015250AM.png

ScreenShot2011-11-10at015329AM.png

ScreenShot2011-11-10at015600AM-1.png

I’ve prepared clean digitized versions of them for a project of mine.

C0GOk6q.png

wvbV5kr.png

E2Mp3kr.png

So many bullets were dodged, from both historical and aesthetic perspectives here. That half-arch wordmark would be decent for the Rays.

Why are the "Tampa Bay Giants" in the normal Giants colors; but the Toronto Giants are blue and green?

1 hour ago, msubulldog said:

Why are the "Tampa Bay Giants" in the normal Giants colors; but the Toronto Giants are blue and green?

It might have been an attempt to fit in with the existing Toronto sports scene. The Maple Leafs and Argos were both blue and white. U of T athletics were blue and white. Various incarnations of the Maple Leafs minor league baseball team were blue and white. 

So I can see the appeal of a team moving to Toronto going with a primarily blue and white look to fit in. It doesn’t explain the green, but who knows? Maybe it was intended to be an accent colour like the red is with the Blue Jays’ identity? 

And while merchandising wasn’t much of a thing back then? Debuting in Toronto with a blue and white colour scheme would pay dividends today.

You know how the Brewers make a lot of money by selling both the navy/old gold look and the ball-in-glove throwbacks? Imagine a Toronto Giants team selling both blue, white, and green gear AND black and orange throwback inspired gear. 

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, DeFrank said:

Could people have been worried under certain 1965-era TV lighting conditions this would have turned the team into the Houston Ches

Don't want your team to be mistaken for a psychopathic, murderous Argentinian, after all.

• Like 4

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

50 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

It might have been an attempt to fit in with the existing Toronto sports scene. The Maple Leafs and Argos were both blue and white. U of T athletics were blue and white. Various incarnations of the Maple Leafs minor league baseball team were blue and white. 

So I can see the appeal of a team moving to Toronto going with a primarily blue and white look to fit in. It doesn’t explain the green, but who knows? Maybe it was intended to be an accent colour like the red is with the Blue Jays’ identity? 

And while merchandising wasn’t much of a thing back then? Debuting in Toronto with a blue and white colour scheme would pay dividends today.

You know how the Brewers make a lot of money by selling both the navy/old gold look and the ball-in-glove throwbacks? Imagine a Toronto Giants team selling both blue, white, and green gear AND black and orange throwback inspired gear. 

Judging by the "G" hat (worn by Toronto Chairman Paul Godfrey), I don't think the color change proposal would have stuck or was the only option:

The blue/green "TG" was either a later addition or rejected for a black/orange redesign. One has to remember that the Giants' brand had lost much of its cache by the mid-late 1970s, with the team struggling competitively in one of the worst stadiums in Big Four history. The 1976 (when the Toronto move was supposed to happen) team was a hapless bunch, like most Giants teams from the early-1970s to the late-1980s. Changing things up to match their new setting, while a bad idea from a historical POV, might have worked. This is especially the case for the Giants of the time, who would have lost many historical ties with relocation (e.g., rivalry with the Dodgers, being one of the first teams to move out west, etc.). 

I can definitely see your point about wanting a new Toronto team to "fit in" with the other teams in the city, especially with the later possibility of throwback gear. I could also imagine the inverse, with nostalgia around the blue/green look and the modern team deciding to opt for the historically-significant black/orange (e.g., like what the White Sox have done with the "Winning Ugly " set). 

I even mocked up a potential uniform, with cues from the inaugural Blue Jays:

0Jtx5g3.png

I'm not keen on it, for personal, historical, and aesthetic reasons.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

Judging by the "G" hat (worn by Toronto Chairman Paul Godfrey), I don't think the color change proposal would have stuck or was the only option:

The blue/green "TG" was either a later addition or rejected for a black/orange redesign. One has to remember that the Giants' brand had lost much of its cache by the mid-late 1970s, with the team struggling competitively in one of the worst stadiums in Big Four history. The 1976 (when the Toronto move was supposed to happen) team was a hapless bunch, like most Giants teams from the early-1970s to the late-1980s. Changing things up to match their new setting, while a bad idea from a historical POV, might have worked. This is especially the case for the Giants of the time, who would have lost many historical ties with relocation (e.g., rivalry with the Dodgers, being one of the first teams to move out west, etc.). 

I can definitely see your point about wanting a new Toronto team to "fit in" with the other teams in the city, especially with the later possibility of throwback gear. I could also imagine the inverse, with nostalgia around the blue/green look and the modern team deciding to opt for the historically-significant black/orange (e.g., like what the White Sox have done with the "Winning Ugly " set). 

I even mocked up a potential uniform, with cues from the inaugural Blue Jays:

0Jtx5g3.png

I'm not keen on it, for personal, historical, and aesthetic reasons.

I'm not keen on it either, but darned if that isn't a fine color scheme.

• Like 3