Unused Logos and Uniforms

That set on the right would have been awfully nice.

Agreed. 1B is very nice.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

The hats are great (especially the navy one), but I always hated the beveled, partially arched wordmark.

Beyond that, the cap W doesn't match the wordmark W. There still would have been a mismatch between the cap and uniform, just a different one than the one that actually occurred,

njtmmt642kz7lakpz3dozoyfk.png

EDIT -- The wordmark looks better in this image than it ever did on a jersey. Still not good . . . but at least passable.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

This is the original prototype of the Devil Rays. The only difference in the rainbow stripe and the numbering in the back is white instead of black

rothschild.gif

Good Lord, check out that NOB. Who the hell thought that two outlines - with the second, thicker one being the same as the base colour - was a good idea?

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

The second outline might be the same width as the black outline. It could just be distortion in the picture.

As for who has two outlines? The White Sox on their black alts. They have the same issue as you see with the D and R above - the negative space completely fills in on several of the letters.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

When the Rams did their new uniforms reveal in 2000, they modeled blue pants with gold tapered stripes. They were never used. The white set with gold tapered stripes were used once or twice in preseason.

vG9WOFa.jpg
WOW. I never thought those actually existed.

When I bought NFL Fever for the original xbox the Rams wore those pants in the game and it bothered me to no end because they never actually wore them in real life. I always just thought the game developers either botched it or they got an early draft of the new uniforms and the Rams changed their mind last minute. But I guess they actually did see the light of day.

Huh. I hated them in game but they're pretty tame by today's horrible standards.

PvO6ZWJ.png

The story I heard was that Mike Martz ditched the pants because the stripes reminded him of pirate swords and the Rams and Bucs had a rivalry at the time. Not sure if there's much truth to that, but Martz IS kind of an idiot so you never know.

Interesting, I have never seen those Rams uniforms before. Didn't the early designs feature block numbers, though?

I'm pretty sure they did that. I think it may have been only for the 2000 season but I'm not sure.

It was weird. The on field jerseys had a block font (kind of a cross between std block and champion - similar to new Stl Blues font) but the replicas had the custom numerals that wouldn't appear on field for another season.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The story I heard was that Mike Martz ditched the pants because the stripes reminded him of pirate swords and the Rams and Bucs had a rivalry at the time. Not sure if there's much truth to that, but Martz IS kind of an idiot so you never know.

I don't remember if it was because of the rivalry, but I do know Martz did not like the stripes because they reminded him of pirate's swords. It was in an interview.

uta-big-sam-little-uta.png

So the Rams had the custom numerals for the unveil and the preseason, went to block numbers for the regular season, and then back to the custom ones for the following season? That's even stranger than I remember.

Did they ever actually use Berthold City for the nameplates, as was the case on replica jerseys for the first couple of years?

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Ah, gotcha.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

So the Rams had the custom numerals for the unveil and the preseason, went to block numbers for the regular season, and then back to the custom ones for the following season? That's even stranger than I remember.

Did they ever actually use Berthold City for the nameplates, as was the case on replica jerseys for the first couple of years?

It was a real head scratcher for sure. Not sure what the issue was because I don't think the non block font changed the following season unlike the JAGS which had to completely ditch their skinny drop shadow custom font and adopt a new one (legibility I assume) for the regular season.

• Like 1