Unused Logos and Uniforms

Looks like the Saints strongly considered switching to serif numbers (and white numbers at home) in 2000:

3R1tcox.jpg

qPF38NB.jpg

eT9HzQK.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2000-NFL-NEW-ORLEANS-SAINTS-PROTO-TYPE-PRESENTATION-COMPLETE-UNIFORM-IN-BOX-/111429370284?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19f1b541ac

But this could be an eBay hoax, but glad they didn't. They look way too much like the Ravens, sans purple.

It isn't a hoax, it was an actual prototype. They used to have a section in the teams HOF inside the Superdome called "The Locker Room" that featured all of the teams previous uniforms that they wore. When I looked around I saw this prototype on the floor and posted on the wall next to it were it's concepts and a write up about the proposed change. Apparently the NFL was toying with the idea of letting teams wear alternate helmets and the Saints proposed a black one similar to their illegal '69 version but with their current logo.

That section in the Superdome has since been closed off for more player portraits and the uniforms relocated to an inclosed glass wall section. I didn't see the prototype amongst the uniforms although it was only about three of them in there. I snapped as many pics as I could at the time, they're crude, but so was my Samsung slide out at the time LOL.

rurturtu_zps27056dea.jpg

helmet_zps9c5de52d.jpg

Uni_zps661cd2ca.jpg

Prototype-SaintsBlackHelmet_zps72455808.

Jersey-Back_zpsc9dbe0eb.jpg

If that's the case then it appears that somebody that worked for the saints or at least had access to a prototype jersey and just threw in some of the standard gold pants to complete a set to make some quick $ on ebay. The shield inconsistencies between the jersey and pants are a dead giveaway that the listing is pieced together.

Former Yankee media director Marty Appel has mentioned that, in 1974, the team considered using a reverse-colour pinstripe uniform as a road set. According to Appel, GM Gabe Paul had a sample of the proposed uniform, which had been submitted by the manufacturer Wilson, and he liked it; but he was put off of it by Appel's aghast reaction.

Appel says that no player ever modelled the uni, and that Steinbrenner never saw it; so it might not fully qualify for this thread. But the fact that the GM was favourably disposed to it is somewhat significant.

Here is Paul Lukas's interview with Appel on the subject from 2010:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=lukas/100930_new_york_yankees_road_uniforms

• Like 1

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

Looks like the Saints strongly considered switching to serif numbers (and white numbers at home) in 2000:

3R1tcox.jpg

qPF38NB.jpg

eT9HzQK.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2000-NFL-NEW-ORLEANS-SAINTS-PROTO-TYPE-PRESENTATION-COMPLETE-UNIFORM-IN-BOX-/111429370284?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19f1b541ac

But this could be an eBay hoax, but glad they didn't. They look way too much like the Ravens, sans purple.

It isn't a hoax, it was an actual prototype. They used to have a section in the teams HOF inside the Superdome called "The Locker Room" that featured all of the teams previous uniforms that they wore. When I looked around I saw this prototype on the floor and posted on the wall next to it were it's concepts and a write up about the proposed change. Apparently the NFL was toying with the idea of letting teams wear alternate helmets and the Saints proposed a black one similar to their illegal '69 version but with their current logo.

That section in the Superdome has since been closed off for more player portraits and the uniforms relocated to an inclosed glass wall section. I didn't see the prototype amongst the uniforms although it was only about three of them in there. I snapped as many pics as I could at the time, they're crude, but so was my Samsung slide out at the time LOL.

rurturtu_zps27056dea.jpg

helmet_zps9c5de52d.jpg

Uni_zps661cd2ca.jpg

Prototype-SaintsBlackHelmet_zps72455808.

Jersey-Back_zpsc9dbe0eb.jpg

while this does look a lil too Ravens like, I wouldn't mind seeing the Saints have a custom font. IIRC someone made one in the concepts area here based on the streetcar numbers. Looked pretty good.

I am sore,wounded, but not slain

I will lay down and bleed a while

And then rise up to fight again

Former Yankee media director Marty Appel has mentioned that, in 1974, the team considered using a reverse-colour pinstripe uniform as a road set. According to Appel, GM Gabe Paul had a sample of the proposed uniform, which had been submitted by the manufacturer Wilson, and he liked it; but he was put off of it by Appel's aghast reaction.

Appel says that no player ever modelled the uni, and that Steinbrenner never saw it; so it might not fully qualify for this thread. But the fact that the GM was favourably disposed to it is somewhat significant.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=lukas/100930_new_york_yankees_road_uniforms

By reverse colour are you referring to a top to bottom navy with white pinstripe set or just a gray version?

As I understand it, something like this --

sw4v9d.jpg

• Like 1

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

sw4v9d.jpg

Yep. With pants to match.

Is it completely wrong to really dig that uniform? Even as a one off alternate, it's pretty. Thing is with the Yankees history it's highly improbable to ever see THAT team wearing anything like that. But if it was a Negro League or Throwback jersey I dig it.

• Like 2

By reverse colour are you referring to a top to bottom navy with white pinstripe set or just a gray version?

sw4v9d.jpg

Exactly. While that is just fine as a fan's fashion jersey, it would have been a travesty as a game uni -- don't forget, the pants are blue, as well.

The only team that looked good in dark-coloured pants was the White Sox in the late 1970s / early 1980s. (That uniform's lone flaw was that the collars didn't go all the way around the jersey.) Dark pants looked hideous on the Indians and the Phillies. Not even the A's, who looked beautiful while breaking all my other uni "rules" (button-down jersey; belted pants; two unis: white at home, grey on the road) could get away with dark pants.

This kind of uni would be wrong for any team; for the Yankees it would have been criminal. If I, at the age that I was then, had seen the Yankees take the field in blue uniforms, I would have been crushed. I'm sure that this would have soured me on the team and would have driven me away.

So thank you, Marty Appel, for scaring Gabe Paul away from this idea, thereby allowing me to remain a Yankee fan, and to enjoy the championships that the team was soon to win.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

I don't think it's a horrible idea at all. Navy pinstriped suits are always in style, and give them kind of a mob element that's kidna cool.

What I don't like is the NY on it. Just the New York wordmark would work better, or a Yankees wordmark (either block, or the script.)

• Like 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Get rid of the pinstripes and that jersey improves tenfold. Basically, it's the ideal option if the Yankees ever adopted an alt.

• Like 1

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Back to the D.C. United primary mark that I mentioned...here's what they currently use:

DCUnited_PMK0100a_1998-9999_SCC_SRGB.png

...here's what they used for the first couple of seasons:

DCUnited_PMK0100a_1996-1997_SCC_SRGB.png

...and here's what was originally proposed and not used:

DCUnited_UPM0100a_1996.png

This last one is a scan of an official MLS logosheet from 1996.

I don't think it's a horrible idea at all. Navy pinstriped suits are always in style, and give them kind of a mob element that's kidna cool.

What I don't like is the NY on it. Just the New York wordmark would work better, or a Yankees wordmark (either block, or the script.)

It wouldn't be a terrible look, but having the navy uniform with white pinstripes would contrast with the solid navy hat. Like, imagine the Yankees (or any pinstriped team) wearing a solid white hat with their home jerseys. It would look off, and I don't know that there'd be a way to make it work.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

It wouldn't be a terrible look, but having the navy uniform with white pinstripes would contrast with the solid navy hat. Like, imagine the Yankees (or any pinstriped team) wearing a solid white hat with their home jerseys. It would look off, and I don't know that there'd be a way to make it work.

Pair it with the BP hat they currently wear the Grey with Blue bill. Since the Pinstripes are grey.

I have a Black KC Chiefs Trent Green jersey like this. I'm pretty sure they've never worn something like this. Always wondered if it was just an alternate style to sell to fans or a scrapped idea? Never been able to find anything about it.

trent-green-black-kansas-city-chiefs-you

Looks like a fashion jersey to me.

Don't forget that the proposed uniform had blue pinstriped pants as well. Dark coloured jerseys are bad enough for any team, and totally wrong for the Yankees (as can be seen in spring training). But only a deranged madman could seriously favour dark coloured pants.

I added the bolded part so the horror can be truly appreciated.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

I have a Black KC Chiefs Trent Green jersey like this. I'm pretty sure they've never worn something like this. Always wondered if it was just an alternate style to sell to fans or a scrapped idea? Never been able to find anything about it.

trent-green-black-kansas-city-chiefs-you

Looks like a fashion jersey to me.

That would be a great jersey for a German or Belgian national team. For the Chiefs however, no.

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png