Unused Logos and Uniforms

I like the sleeves and hems, but not the shoulders. I'd have put Robo-Pen on the shoulders, the Skating Penguin up front where it belongs, and put some grey (call it a dual reference to the Steel City and the two Stanley Cups) between the white and gold. That would have been a nice update, I feel.

• Like 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

8389_pittsburgh_penguins-unused-1993.png

When the Pittsburgh Penguins underwent a rebrand after their 1992 Stanley Cup win, this matching black sweater never saw the light of day.

If only... That redesign would have been worlds better if the uniforms had actually matched. Original plans called for four uniforms.

From Uni Watch Blog today
User Actions
Follow
9Qi_mwHH_bigger.jpegVintage MN Hockey@VintageMNHockey

This photo surfaced @UniWatch from a @9modano & Smith signing in 1989 (Never seen ☆ prototype jersey in background)?

CW7SQ9mWcAAnJPx.jpg

I know I've never seen these jerseys before, has anyone else? There's some snazzy elements to them, but probably an overall mess. Thoughts?

Maybe those unis were an early draft of their eventual 1991 rebrand. Come to think of it, 1989 was about the time of the first rumblings of a possible North Stars relocation (to San Jose), so these unis might even have been meant as the first stage of a staggered rebrand in anticipation of such a move. (Some fans have theorized that the '91 rebrand itself was a similar ploy ahead of the team's eventual move to Dallas, given how little that look had to be tweaked for the Stars' new home.)

CCSLC signature.png

8389_pittsburgh_penguins-unused-1993.png

When the Pittsburgh Penguins underwent a rebrand after their 1992 Stanley Cup win, this matching black sweater never saw the light of day.

If only... That redesign would have been worlds better if the uniforms had actually matched. Original plans called for four uniforms.

Indeed. What were the two other uniforms, anyway?

833096017_2f38da65c0_o.jpg

Moving towards baseball, the Los Angeles Dodgers almost got caught up in the late-1990s fad of faux-vest jerseys started by their SoCal rivals, the Angels. As it states, it almost made it onto the field the point of having it sold in their concession stands.

UBwef0L.png

833096017_2f38da65c0_o.jpg

Moving towards baseball, the Los Angeles Dodgers almost got caught up in the late-1990s fad of faux-vest jerseys started by their SoCal rivals, the Angels. As it states, it almost made it onto the field the point of having it sold in their concession stands.

I still have my replica version of this uniform...but like a fool,I added some screen printed numbers on it. I wonder if I can remove them without having damaging the jersey?

jersey-signature03.pngjersey-signature04.png

I suspect the card just reused the International League Orioles uniforms because the new ones weren't unveiled on time. The IL Orioles used the birds-on-a-bat look with significant frequency.

18874389884_3c03b28d9d_o.png

EB01d796.jpg

George_Puccinelli+2.jpg

1939 (based on the shoulder patch) --

232361d1318831101-gambo-t_wil1-photopack

I have a book at home that has other pictures of the IL Orioles. I'm now curious to pull it out and take a look.

Meanwhile, in looking for pictures, I found this link that shows other uniforms used during spring training in 1954.

http://toddradom.com/60-years-of-orioles-orange-black-and-a-confusing-start/

• Like 1

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃