Unused Logos and Uniforms

Expanding on the post above about a uniform of the future, I remember reading an issue of The Hockey News a long time ago (probably around 96 or 97) and it had four or five "logos of the future". I can't remember for the life of me what these fictional teams/cities were but I remember being fascinated by it. The only thing I can remember about it now is that one of the logos had pink in it. I've searched for this online many times but haven't come up with anything. Does anyone have any recollection of this?

33 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

A citation for that would be nice. It could be a simple link, a page from a book, etc.

Back when the name was announced I was listening to it on the Fan 590 (a popular sports radio station here in Toronto), and they stated the winning entry was sent in by a little girl and that she was given a prize pack for her name being selected (i think it was something like season tickets and some jerseys and paraphernalia) . And I remember stating to my brother "So they listened to some kid for the team name". We all hated the name when it was announced.

As for in print there was an article that mentioned it in the Toronto Star and if I recall a blurb in Gamepro magazine under their "Entertainment News Section"

The Catch of the Day!

15 hours ago, The Giant Pacific Octopus said:

The fact that they listened to a little kid who liked Jurassic Park. They name a professional sports team Raptors because some kid loved a movie.

I loved dinosaurs and that movie when it came out, and I was six when the name was unveiled. I loved it from the moment I heard it and begged my parents for gear.

So you know. Target demo effectively capitalised on.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, ImmortalChef said:

The only problem is that it looks like a Mariners logo

I think he was facetiously suggesting that they keep the old Florida Marlins logo, rather than referencing the left-most concept.

• Like 3

On 3/3/2017 at 8:58 AM, The Giant Pacific Octopus said:

Despite the stupid logo, the name Toronto Towers is alot better than Toronto Raptors. No-one knew what a raptor was until Jurassic Park, and the winning entry was sent in by a little girl!

I'm pretty sure it wasn't the little girl who named the team. There was a contest of over 2,000 suggestions and Raptors was one in 10 that were considered. I'm looking for record of the girl winning the contest, but I'm sure it was a drawing of a few hundred suggestions like how most of these contest end up being.

I found this from the official Raptors page: http://www.nba.com/raptors/news/behindthename_081606.html

• Like 1

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

The fourth (from the left to the right) is so much better than the one they went with. The gradient makes their busy color scheme flow much better than in the current. Is it a traditional logo for baseball, no, but the Marlins have never had a traditional baseball logo. They used teal and black in the 90s. They were a unique team. That logo would have kept them a unique team rather than having a forgettable and poorly designed logo. It also could have opened up new options for the wordmark as well, since their current one includes the also current logo. The logo to the left, with a little resizing, could have been a decent cap logo.

I guess the only issue with the gradient marlin is that it resembles the original logo with the way the marlin is situated, but that's probably why I like it.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, jlnhlfan said:

OwO

What is this? Prototype Preds?

IMG_4250.PNG

Yes. I believe @twi actually owns one. 

• Like 1
On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

RE: The Raptors and their name.  I actually love the name Raptors, mainly because it is unique and fun.  Pro sports could always use more interesting and fun identities.  A dinosaur is an interesting and fun identity, and certainly unique (are there any other pro teams named after a dinosaur? None that I can think of).  I hope they never change their name.  Sure the name sounded a little weird at first, but I think it sounds perfectly normal now, and anything else would sound wrong.

Another reason I like the name is because it makes you think of Jurassic Park. I think it is cool that you can trace the nickname of a team back to something globally popular at the time it was born.  It gives the name some meaning, even if that meaning may not necessarily tie to the sport or even the city.  "Towers" is a boring and awfully forgettable name, yes there's the CN Tower I get it, but it's still a boring and forgettable identity, alliteration be damned.

• Like 7

13 hours ago, kimball said:

I'm pretty sure it wasn't the little girl who named the team. There was a contest of over 2,000 suggestions and Raptors was one in 10 that were considered. I'm looking for record of the girl winning the contest, but I'm sure it was a drawing of a few hundred suggestions like how most of these contest end up being.

I found this from the official Raptors page: http://www.nba.com/raptors/news/behindthename_081606.html

The winning entry was a little girl. I remember it specifically. I remember the Toronto Star article and I remember them announcing it and discussing it on the Fan 590. I don't know if the Fan 590 has archives of their old shows but you should contact their website and inquire.

The Catch of the Day!

2 hours ago, The Giant Pacific Octopus said:

The winning entry was a little girl. I remember it specifically. I remember the Toronto Star article and I remember them announcing it and discussing it on the Fan 590. I don't know if the Fan 590 has archives of their old shows but you should contact their website and inquire.

Point us to it in the Toronto Star's online archives, please. I'm sure you can find it, you're a crafty octopus.

• Like 4

I mean I don't doubt one of the people who wrote in support of the Raptors name was a little girl, but that's not the same thing as "a little girl named the team."

And really, so what if she did?

• Like 6