Unused Logos and Uniforms

5 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Or it could be that he simply recognised that neither the Magic set to which he alluded nor the Raptors' original uniforms were fit for adults to wear in public.

This isn't the unpopular opinions thread.:P

• Like 3

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

• 2 weeks later...

Unveiled in November of 1995, this is what the 1998 Inaugural Tampa Bay Devil Rays were supposed to look like...

Image result for 1998 devil rays uniforms

By the time 1998 came around, the caps were dropped in favor of the TB cap which was originally intended to only be an alternate cap and the purple undershirts of the home jersey were switched to black like the road undershirts. This "unused" uniform is a bit interesting because the Rays did a 1998 throwback in 2009 and wore the above caps which were never actually worn in 98. So, in an interesting oddity, this is one of the only times a team has worn a uniform for the first time as a throwback and not in the year it was actually worn. The 1998 Devil Rays uniform was first worn on the field in 2009. Enjoy that one! lol

Sticking to the 1998 MLB expansion teams, the Arizona Diamonbacks unveiled a look in 95 that was also tweaked once it got to the field in 98. Here's a pic from the unveiling...

By 98 all the jerseys were the same but all the white caps were gone and the all teal caps as well. The black cap with the teal brim was kept as the road cap and, ironically, the cap that became the home primary, the all purple cap, was nowhere to be seen in this unveiling. It's funny because we always remember the original DBacks as a purple team but looking at this picture, they seemed to be a teal team first with purple being secondary. Of note, while the cap arrangement did change, the white and teal caps may have still gotten sporadic use in 98. I haven't been able to confirm that they were dropped completely. 

• Like 6

6 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Unveiled in November of 1995, this is what the 1998 Inaugural Tampa Bay Devil Rays were supposed to look like...

By the time 1998 came around, the caps were dropped in favor of the TB cap which was originally intended to only be an alternate cap and the purple undershirts of the home jersey were switched to black like the road undershirts. This "unused" uniform is a bit interesting because the Rays did a 1998 throwback in 2009 and wore the above caps which were never actually worn in 98. So, in an interesting oddity, this is one of the only times a team has worn a uniform for the first time as a throwback and not in the year it was actually worn. The 1998 Devil Rays uniform was first worn on the field in 2009. Enjoy that one! lol

Sticking to the 1998 MLB expansion teams, the Arizona Diamonbacks unveiled a look in 95 that was also tweaked once it got to the field in 98. Here's a pic from the unveiling...

By 98 all the jerseys were the same but all the white caps were gone and the all teal caps as well. The black cap with the teal brim was kept as the road cap and, ironically, the cap that became the home primary, the all purple cap, was nowhere to be seen in this unveiling. It's funny because we always remember the original DBacks as a purple team but looking at this picture, they seemed to be a teal team first with purple being secondary. Of note, while the cap arrangement did change, the white and teal caps may have still gotten sporadic use in 98. I haven't been able to confirm that they were dropped completely. 

I have a helmet version of that white hat. Obviously that doesn't mean they wore it in the regular season though.

Per uni-watch.com today, we've got a 1970 Brewers prototype!

33400315650_5c5da9dfb1_o.png

It seems that one of the reused Pilots jerseys (the source for most of the 1970 Brewers' uniforms) got turned into this, a modernization of the American Association Brewers' vintage uniforms (per borchertfield.com).

Edited by SFGiants58
Adding links.
  • Like 2

On 3/28/2017 at 3:32 PM, SilverBullet1929 said:

By 98 all the jerseys were the same but all the white caps were gone and the all teal caps as well. 

Were there two teal caps?  The taller guy on the left is wearing teal hat with a purple brim, which I remember too.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

4 hours ago, WSU151 said:

Were there two teal caps?  The taller guy on the left is wearing teal hat with a purple brim, which I remember too.

I have the graphic somewhere but yes at one point there were supposed to be 4 caps.  The teal one was scrapped before the season started.  The white cap I have but barely wear it.

http://dbacks.freehostia.com/caps.php

That link also helps.  Granted it is very outdated but shows a lot of the Diamondbacks uniform history up to 2011 and other tidbits.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, WSU151 said:

I still have that purple-brimmed teal cap somewhere 

Oh, and Paul Westphal and Kevin Johnson in D-back unis could go in another thread.  Isn't that Danny Manning on the end?

• Like 2

jersey-signature03.pngjersey-signature04.png

On 3/28/2017 at 2:32 PM, SilverBullet1929 said:

From left to right: Danny Manning, Jerry Colangelo, Danny Ainge, Wesley Person, Paul Westphal, Kevin Johnson. At the time, all were members of the Phoenix Suns. This could also go into the Players in the Wrong Uniform thread as well. Hahaha.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, BJ Sands said:

From left to right: Danny Manning, Jerry Colangelo, Danny Ainge, Wesley Person, Paul Westphal, Kevin Johnson. At the time, all were members of the Phoenix Suns. This could also go into the Players in the Wrong Uniform thread as well. Hahaha.

LOL...When WSU acknowledged "the taller guy on the left" I thought "that kinda looks like Danny Manning."  Guess I should have looked closer at the other guys.

• Like 2

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)