Unused Logos and Uniforms

Yeah, but by that definition there are few colors that the Devil Rays didn’t use. ;) 

So yeah, the current Mariners’ navy and whatever-they-call-their-teal-without-using-the-word-teal is the closest MLB has ever gotten to a blue and green color scheme.  Although the Rays were probably the second closest a couple years later, though they added a lot of black. 

spacer.png

• Like 2

That Rays scheme was one big missed opportunity.  One of either the green or blue should have been lighter.  The shade of blue the Lions use would've been a much better fit.

• Like 2

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

1 hour ago, Discrimihater said:

That Rays scheme was one big missed opportunity.  One of either the green or blue should have been lighter.  The shade of blue the Lions use would've been a much better fit.

Were they using any blue at all by 2007? I seem to remember them as black and dark green.

Reminds me of the current Marlins. Lol. 

Black on dark or black on black just rarely translates to different formats. The Ray's cap is a bit of a mess from a distance. I have the whole set and in person, the dark green is nice.  New Marlins is the same way. Only up close and in the brightest of sun's is there vibrancy. 

• Like 1

On 3/18/2019 at 2:22 AM, PepMan33Conde said:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-AUTHENTIC-COLUMBUS-BLUE-JACKETS-PRO-PLAYER-JERSEY-SIZE-52-SEWN-NHL-/132524159226

Didn't know the Blue Jackets once sold their home jerseys that featured a sublimated mesh that was patterned after the US flag. What's funny also is it's a Pro Player jersey.

r2dmmIN.jpg

I've never heard the flag thing, but they did use these for their first few seasons. I was told it was a little soccer-centric nod to the very popular soccer teams of the area. Even wearing it, you'd probably never notice the stripes unless you're in very bright light.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

On 3/23/2019 at 3:09 PM, hockey week said:

I've never heard the flag thing, but they did use these for their first few seasons. I was told it was a little soccer-centric nod to the very popular soccer teams of the area. Even wearing it, you'd probably never notice the stripes unless you're in very bright light.

What I meant to say was the stripes on the jersey were inspired by the stripes on the US flag. Anyway, I agree with you now. I just learned about it today. Thanks for clarifying! I got proof below to solidify your point.

season-player-rick-nash-of-the-columbus-

I was in grad school at Iowa when that logo was unveiled.  People there were pretty unhappy about it and I think that’s why it never replaced the classic logo (I.e., I think it was intended to).  So at the bookstore, both logos were prevalent on apparel . Eventually, the new one was gone.  I have seen that in the Twin Cities in recent years once or twice.

• Like 1

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

53 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

I was in grad school at Iowa when that logo was unveiled.  People there were pretty unhappy about it and I think that’s why it never replaced the classic logo (I.e., I think it was intended to).  So at the bookstore, both logos were prevalent on apparel . Eventually, the new one was gone.  I have seen that in the Twin Cities in recent years once or twice.

It's one of those "looks fine in a vacuum" logos. But I get the original is a classic. But I mean if the school did go ahead and replace it, I think eventually it would have been accepted.

5 hours ago, Quillz said:

It's one of those "looks fine in a vacuum" logos. But I get the original is a classic. But I mean if the school did go ahead and replace it, I think eventually it would have been accepted.

To this day, I find It jarring.  I’m not an Iowa fan, but growing up in Big Ten I certainly was used to the original.  So if they had come out at the same time as finalists , who knows...

• Like 2

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

POTD (Shared)

On 3/22/2019 at 11:38 AM, Gothamite said:

Although the Rays were probably the second closest a couple years later, though they added a lot of black. 

People seem to forget that the Rays scaled back on the black, increased the use of green, and added a little more blue a few years into that color scheme and it was much improved, although still a ways off from being "right". Notice the outer piping stripe is blue not green like the earlier jerseys. The only black on the pics below is in the actual devil ray animal (and their batting helmets were still black)...

Image result for rays 2007 photo dayImage result for rays 2007 photo dayImage result for rays 2007 photo day

8 hours ago, Quillz said:

I personally think it looks better than the original and I always use it when I make Iowa concepts. It's more dynamic without being too much of a departure from the classic logo.

• Like 2

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

19 hours ago, Quillz said:

Supposedly the Hawkeyes have had this "alternate" logo since 1999, but it was in fact an attempt to modernize the primary and was never implemented.

1875_iowa_hawkeyes-primary-1996.png

13 hours ago, OnWis97 said:

12 hours ago, Quillz said:

6 hours ago, OnWis97 said:

To this day, I find It jarring.  I’m not an Iowa fan, but growing up in Big Ten I certainly was used to the original.  So if they had come out at the same time as finalists , who knows...

I think I may have briefly seen that logo in the late 1990s and not thought a whole lot of it. Maybe not.

But speaking of Iowa logos, this doesn't quite count as unused, but does anyone else remember the alternate logo they had in the '90s? It was the word Iowa in very uneven letters and then an exclamation point. I think maybe the letters were yellow and the exclamation point was black. Very '90s-looking. It may have been only basketball that used it, but I happened to catch bits and pieces of quite a few of their hoops games in that time period, so to me that was Iowa's logo just as much as the Hawkeye was (and, similarly, the desert scene logo was Arizona's as much as the big A was). I actually haven't seen this Iowa alt on the mothership at all.

On 3/31/2019 at 6:36 PM, Quillz said:

Supposedly the Hawkeyes have had this "alternate" logo since 1999, but it was in fact an attempt to modernize the primary and was never implemented.

1875_iowa_hawkeyes-primary-1996.png

When Southern Miss updated their eagle, Iowa sued to keep it off their helmets because it was similar to this. Southern Miss then updated their wordmark logos.

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

23 hours ago, MCM0313 said:

I think I may have briefly seen that logo in the late 1990s and not thought a whole lot of it. Maybe not.

But speaking of Iowa logos, this doesn't quite count as unused, but does anyone else remember the alternate logo they had in the '90s? It was the word Iowa in very uneven letters and then an exclamation point. I think maybe the letters were yellow and the exclamation point was black. Very '90s-looking. It may have been only basketball that used it, but I happened to catch bits and pieces of quite a few of their hoops games in that time period, so to me that was Iowa's logo just as much as the Hawkeye was (and, similarly, the desert scene logo was Arizona's as much as the big A was). I actually haven't seen this Iowa alt on the mothership at all.

Basketball specific.  The "O" was a ball.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/BJ0AAOSwzJ5XVFO6/s-l1600.jpg

POTD (Shared)

In 1989, the Canucks changed their uniforms once again, ditching the puke yellow home jerseys that Brian Burke, the Canucks assistant GM at the time, hated.  They kept the logo and colours, but it could have been another radical colour and logo change.  Burke liked the proposed design, but didn't think ownership wanted to make the change after spending $100,000 on the skate logo.  The local designer also tweaked the skate logo, neither of which were accepted.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 5