Recommended Posts

That flaming cow would have been awesome back in 98. Id love to see if modernized for today. It would beat the crap the Fire call a logo today by far.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/nhl/coyotes/2020/05/25/how-phoenix-coyotes-original-kachina-logo-created/3061745001/

This article went up on AZcentral just recently which has some interesting tidbits on the creation of the Coyotes' identity. I'll post some of the most interesting images here, but it's a pretty interesting read.

spacer.png

This was a logo concept the team had at one point, believe it or not. If people thought the Mighty Ducks logo was too cartoonish for the NHL, just imagine if these had gone through as the final design. This was a pretty well-dodged bullet, I'd say.

 

spacer.png

Here's something rather interesting; this document refers to the team as the Arizona Coyotes long before the team adopted that name in 2014, and thus has versions of the original full-body logo, moon logo and wordmark without the Phoenix text present, like what's seen now on the Kachina alternates. Could that mean the team originally thought about calling themselves the Arizona Coyotes? The head alone also seems to have been the primary logo at some point before being switched out for the full-body coyote.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

 

On 5/24/2020 at 12:28 PM, Dilbert said:

That flaming cow would have been awesome back in 98. Id love to see if modernized for today. It would beat the crap the Fire call a logo today by far.


Mars Attacks! Burning Cows intro

 

Maybe the designer was a really big fan of Mars Attacks!
 

Edited by schlim
fixed weird youtube link

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love the stripes on some of those Penguins alt jerseys!

The side penguin is close to what the Baltimore Ravens logo should be.  Slick clean look.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m not sure if this fits here, considering it was technically “used” somewhere, but this Celtics backdrop caught my eye:

 

spacer.png

 

The text on the logo is not the hand drawn version that was used then and is still on the logo today, but looks like an actual font that’s applied (and adjusted a little better) instead.

 

Compare that to the actual logo of the time:

 

spacer.png

 

 

and this backdrop with the recolored logo, also during Pitino’s tenure:

 

spacer.png

 

That’s the current logo, with what appears to be the “correct” text. So, the logo in the first press conference is altered somewhat and I don’t recall that version being used anywhere else. Given that the text is much more cleaned up in that version, they probably should have. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Celtics use the same Futura Black that the Raiders do in a lot of applications, I'm surprised they never went ahead and used it on the primary. Probably one of those tweaks where the only people who would notice right away would get mad about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/24/2020 at 11:07 AM, mcrosby said:

99297635_10222735107191256_2262594638458
98201163_10222735107551265_7488886774681

 

Those are fascinating.  I love the idea of using Mrs. O'Leary's cow, even though bovine iconography is pretty well covered in their neighbor to the north.

 

Just to keep these Fire concepts in context, this was Nike's original plan for the club:

 

8zmDUp6.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/3/2020 at 4:28 PM, FinsUp1214 said:

I’m not sure if this fits here, considering it was technically “used” somewhere, but this Celtics backdrop caught my eye:

 

spacer.png

 

The text on the logo is not the hand drawn version that was used then and is still on the logo today, but looks like an actual font that’s applied (and adjusted a little better) instead.

 

Except text also ball lines are brown instead of black like on normal logo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/25/2020 at 6:42 PM, Ridleylash said:

Could that mean the team originally thought about calling themselves the Arizona Coyotes? 

State-centric nicknames in the Sunbelt were all the rage at the time. Wouldn't surprise me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/25/2020 at 6:42 PM, Ridleylash said:

spacer.png

This is giving me serious Akron Firebirds and Akron Aeros vibes. Imagine the complete lack of nostalgia we'd have now if they went with this logo that would be better suited on deviantart.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, raysox said:

This is giving me serious Akron Firebirds and Akron Aeros vibes. Imagine the complete lack of nostalgia we'd have now if they went with this logo that would be better suited on deviantart.

 

On 5/25/2020 at 6:42 PM, Ridleylash said:

https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/nhl/coyotes/2020/05/25/how-phoenix-coyotes-original-kachina-logo-created/3061745001/

This article went up on AZcentral just recently which has some interesting tidbits on the creation of the Coyotes' identity. I'll post some of the most interesting images here, but it's a pretty interesting read.

spacer.png

 

 

All I see is this:

340?cb=20091223000940

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^^^I'm glad the Coyotes original designer was able to land on their feet! 

 

On 6/4/2020 at 10:52 AM, Gothamite said:

 

Those are fascinating.  I love the idea of using Mrs. O'Leary's cow, even though bovine iconography is pretty well covered in their neighbor to the north.

 

Just to keep these Fire concepts in context, this was Nike's original plan for the club:

 

8zmDUp6.png


Just so i follow, it's documented the Tampa Bay Mutiny logo had a bat on it because "you know, mutiny - mutant bat"

Is this Pythons because it shares letters with Rhythm? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don’t snakes hear through vibrations in their skull (I.e., they can’t hear airborne vibrations)? The rhythm section produces the vibes, which they can hear.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Those aren't pythons, they're cobras.  And yes, I think @SFGiants58 is correct.  To the extent there was actually a justification for the snakes other than "Looks kewl!  And this is the 90s!"  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As @VDizzle12stated that Coyotes looks almost a carbon copy of the Erie Otters logo. And they would have been laughed out of the arena if they actually went with that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Those aren't pythons, they're cobras.  And yes, I think @SFGiants58 is correct.  To the extent there was actually a justification for the snakes other than "Looks kewl!  And this is the 90s!"  

 

"Chicago had a huge house music scene and snakes hear rhythm so our team is called the Rhythm and our mascot is a snake" is just too much, yeesh. Fire turned out way better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5356675991_437e88a5ba_o.png

 

Note the placement of the front number.  It was moved up to the chest by the time these were worn on the field.  Also, the road was a true gray for a few years before becoming blue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

5356675991_437e88a5ba_o.png

 

Note the placement of the front number.  It was moved up to the chest by the time these were worn on the field.  Also, the road was a true gray for a few years before becoming blue.

 

The actual version is sooooo much better than this.  The number placement makes this version look completely unbalanced.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's another look at the prototypes:

 

EUx81DWXkAAtAZd.jpg

 

And here's what they actually wore.

 

15934559%5D,sizedata%5B850x600%5D&call=u15980536%5D,sizedata%5B850x600%5D&call=u

 

I never knew that the logos and numbers were chainstitched.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.