Unused Logos and Uniforms

On 5/25/2020 at 6:42 PM, Ridleylash said:

https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/nhl/coyotes/2020/05/25/how-phoenix-coyotes-original-kachina-logo-created/3061745001/

This article went up on AZcentral just recently which has some interesting tidbits on the creation of the Coyotes' identity. I'll post some of the most interesting images here, but it's a pretty interesting read.

spacer.png

This was a logo concept the team had at one point, believe it or not. If people thought the Mighty Ducks logo was too cartoonish for the NHL, just imagine if these had gone through as the final design. This was a pretty well-dodged bullet, I'd say.

Here's something rather interesting; this document refers to the team as the Arizona Coyotes long before the team adopted that name in 2014, and thus has versions of the original full-body logo, moon logo and wordmark without the Phoenix text present, like what's seen now on the Kachina alternates. Could that mean the team originally thought about calling themselves the Arizona Coyotes? The head alone also seems to have been the primary logo at some point before being switched out for the full-body coyote.

Others noted how minor-leagueish that Coyotes logo is...my mind went to the WPHL, who had notoriously cartoony (but fun) logos...

hukxbgaq9g5f8nuj0l6fuq0a0.gif

• Like 5

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

6 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Here's another look at the prototypes:

EUx81DWXkAAtAZd.jpg

And here's what they actually wore.

15934559%5D,sizedata%5B850x600%5D&call=u15980536%5D,sizedata%5B850x600%5D&call=u

I never knew that the logos and numbers were chainstitched.

And I never realized the first versions weren't double-knit!  I assume the chainstitching (and gray) only lasted until the switch.

• Like 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 6/5/2020 at 10:01 AM, VDizzle12 said:

All I see is this:

340?cb=20091223000940

That's a little closer than what I thought of, which was this:

3ek7qaipp7l3e5vzd4mtthigz.gif

• Like 1
On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Been looking more into those old Phillies uniforms since there's so much I never knew about their early years.

According to this auction, they switched to blue with chain stitching and NNOB for only one season before switching to the blue with twill and NOB the next year.

11258_lersch_jersey.jpg

"This one-of-a-kind apparel was a departure from the previous year's gray flannel road jerseys and also represents the lone year with an oversize embroidered back number (in a cost-cutting measure, the Phils went to tackle twill identifiers and names on the back of the following year's road jerseys)."

Honestly, those look terrible with the chainstitching.  Regular twill is so much better with that style.  The whole thing looks amazingly amateur - like they had a child cutting out the numbers with scissors.  

I'm not certain, but I'm assuming the next year is when they dropped the swirl from the P.

• Like 2

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

My gods the flannel era for those uniforms was horrible.  I'm still shocked that there even was a flannel version of them - let alone several.  Seems like a design that was made specifically for the "new age" poly uniforms.

11845815%5D,sizedata%5B850x600%5D&call=u

• Like 3

You’re absolutely right.  

The uniform feels so cohesive in its final form that it really surprises me to learn that they got there by taking several small half-steps.  Really impressive. 

Those numbers, though - hate the oversized serif on that “1”. 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Been looking more into those old Phillies uniforms since there's so much I never knew about their early years.

According to this auction, they switched to blue with chain stitching and NNOB for only one season before switching to the blue with twill and NOB the next year.

11258_lersch_jersey.jpg

My memory has apparently been playing tricks on me through the years.  If asked, I would have sworn that the numbers were aligned so that the horizontal center was lined up with the horizontal center of the P.  Instead, it looks like the bottoms of the numbers were always aligned with the bottom of the P.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Here's a lot of 3 game-worn jerseys.  The alighment of the number seems pretty consistent:

83940_phillies_game_worn.jpg

Here's my guess of the versions of these uniforms:

v1: Flannel.  Gray road.  Button down.  NNOB.  Full Swirl.

v2: Flannel.  Blue road.  Button down.  NNOB.  Full swirl.

v3.  Double-knit.  Blue road.  Zipper front.  Partial swirl. (longest version)

v4.  Double-knit.  Blue road.  Button front.  Full swirl.  Darker pinstripes at home ('87-'88)

v5.  Double-knit.  Gray road.  Button front.  Full swirl.  ('89-'91)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Here's a lot of 3 game-worn jerseys.  The alighment of the number seems pretty consistent:

In case this was directed to me, I wasn't suggesting that the number placement changed.  I was just saying that in my mind's eye I picture the placement being different.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

On the jerseys, I always thought the rounded "P" started with the "stitching" line in the middle and then it disappeared.  Based on these pictures it looks like they kind of went back-and-forth.  I wonder why.

I know that the image of a baseball is not always allowed (not sure on the exact rule...must be based somewhat on how realistic it is) so I'd always figured they were forced to ditch that on the jersey (though it stayed on the hat).  But based on that 1990ish gray jersey, it looks like it came back.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

2 hours ago, OnWis97 said:

On the jerseys, I always thought the rounded "P" started with the "stitching" line in the middle and then it disappeared.  Based on these pictures it looks like they kind of went back-and-forth.  I wonder why.

I know that the image of a baseball is not always allowed (not sure on the exact rule...must be based somewhat on how realistic it is) so I'd always figured they were forced to ditch that on the jersey (though it stayed on the hat).  But based on that 1990ish gray jersey, it looks like it came back.

It came back in '87 when they returned to button fronts and radial NOB.  I'm fairly certain they darkened the red too, and at least at home, most true red was gone (the pinstripes were still red, and some of the catchers used red gear, not maroon.)

I'm pretty sure (but can't confirm) that it was the "baseball not allowed on jersey" rule that made them change.  Maybe that was relaxed and they didn't bother to change until they moved to the button template in the late '80s.

'86 Home: Note the zipper, open P, and the bright red pinstripes:

100766a_lg.jpegP)

'87 Home - note the buttons, swirl P, and darker pinstripes

92986a_med.jpeg

Couldn't find an '87, but here's an '88 road (same thing - buttons, swirl P, darker red)

109740a_lg.jpeg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The Phils should have stuck with the Helvetica numbers. Much more legible than what they use now. And the burgundy, miss that too, of course.

• Like 2

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• 6 months later...

Yes, I know there's a thread about this, but it's likely now closed to replies as hasn't been replied in so long. So, here we go....
-----
I love seeing uniforms that never saw the light of day.

1994proposed.gif -This is one example; can you imagine the backlash from Packer fans had this gone through?

25 years ago, the 49ers briefly switched to hideous helmets -  ProFootballTalk - Here's another example: Can you imagine a team backtracking on such a change after just one day? I wish they'd kept the red facemasks, though.

• Like 2

UBwef0L.png

The unused prototype thread is locked?  If so that's dumb.

EDIT:  Here it is.  So much good stuff in this thread:

• Like 1