1989 World Baseball Cup

raysox

I made the template from my old soccer one!

1981.png

Japan was almost a lock for hosting the 1981 tournament. Baseball had grown so much in the previous decade in the Pacific nation. Two stadiums in and around Osaka would be the host of the games. But first, you had to get there. The only new team was Australia, which filled the hole of the automatic bid for Japan. With the Japanese not participating in the Pacific qualifier, that means a new country would make the tournament. South Korea won a tiebreaker against Chinese Taipei after splitting their 2 games. To date, this was the toughest qualifying group. Powers such as the Dominican, Panama, and Canada all were eliminated. The IBF decided that the WBC would expand the tournament to 12 teams, and now look at 3 stadiums per bid to host.

Qualifying.png
The Japanese played great in front of their home fans. In the classic Koshien Stadium, matched up against the Venezuelans and the Americans in Group A, they survived and lead to the American's first time not advancing into the knockout stage. The South Koreans were put into the group of death, and were eliminated quickly. The other group competed in Osaka. The Puerto Ricans were a tough team all around, and the Cubans had a young Orestes Destrade, both advancing past the Mexicans and Dutch. The absence of the USA made the route to the finals for Japan much easier. The hosts and Puerto Rico both were the favorites to collide in the finals, and they didn't disappoint. In one of the most one sided finals, Japan would go on to lift their first championship in 8 tries.

Tournament.png
The only three changes from 1977 was the dropping of maroon from the Venezuelan look. A new yellow and white look would be worn for road games. The Koreans came out wearing white and black for their debut. Simple hats with K on it, the script said KOREA with the ying-yang symbol from the flag in the O. Finally, a more refined look for Mexico, worn by new pitcher Fernando Valenzuela.
Caps.png

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I literally just make them up, there's not much thinking behind the actual results other than imagining who would be strong each tournament

That explains why you have Venezuela being more dominant than the Dominican Republic, but in reality DR has been the best team in the Caribbean Series' latest era. The teams sent to the Caribbean Series are basically quasi-national teams with a few foreigners sprinkled in.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caribbean_Series

You mean more recently? Well yeah the Dominican gets a lot better in the 90s and 00s.

No, since the 1970's the Dominican Republic has dominated the Caribbean Series and Venezuela hasn't been as good as you have depicted. Nonetheless, your designs are excellent and will keep me following this thread.

1985.png

As it was announced at the end of last tournament, the IBF would now expand the tournament to 12. They determined teams 8-12 could hold their own against the best of the best, and the worst teams in the world would be weeded out in qualifying. The qualifying provided a surprise with Japan losing to South Korea in the Pacific Division. Chinese Taipei and Canada would advance in the playoff. This made Taipei the 12th team to compete in the tournament.

Qualifying.png
The structure would now be as follows. The teams would play in their group, then seeded 1-12. The top 8 teams would be put into a bracket and play to the finals. Hometown Mexico had a group play to remember. They played in their capital, and Parque del Seguro Social became the first stadium to host 2 tournaments. They beat Puerto Rico and coasted to a 3-0 record and clinched the first overall seed by allowing less than Japan in a tie breaker. Groups B and C were very contested. Three teams tied at 1-2 in Saltillo, with only Canada advancing forward. Group C was the tightest group. The Americans and Cubans both went 2-1, with South Korea and the Dominican finishing 1-2. All four teams moved on to the Round of 8.
Mexico beat the upstart Koreans to start. Jose Canseco hit a 2 run home run in the 7th to bear the Puerto Ricans, setting up a match up with the Mexicans. The Cubans went out and dominated Mexico. Mexico only got 2 hits, two doubles in the 3rd. Then the Cuban pitching staff retired 20 in a row to win 3-1. The North American match up of USA-Canada wasn't very close. The USA won 7-2. Then the Japanese-Dominican game had almost no pitching, a 10-8 barn burner saw the Japanese face their rivals America in the semi finals. The Americans had a big traveling fan base, but it wasn't enough as the Japanese won 8-2 in Caliacan. That set up the Japanese vs Cubans in Mexico City. Jose Canseco added 2 more home runs to make his total 6 during the tournament. Cuba would hang on and win their first title in team history.
Tournament.png
Several changes were made to the jerseys of the tournament. Canada and the Dominicans both wore racing stripes for the first time. Canada brought back a button up jersey. Taiwan's debut jerseys were very amateur looking, with a cursive script and light blue roads. Cuba made their tops and bottoms match, unlike the previous tournaments. Panama introduced a jersey similar to the White Sox's 80s jerseys. Puerto Rico dropped the light blue and recolored several things for this new tournament. Finally, the much loved yellow Venezuela jersey became the home, with an all grey look becoming the road.
Caps.png

It's hard to imagine Venezuela having a "loved" yellow home uniform when the national teams are known as the Vinotinto ("Burgundy") They tried it briefly with the soccer kits in the late 90s but quickly switched back to the classic Venezuelan burgundy. It's a good alternate but the home, and most representative, jersey should predominate burgundy.

I also think three different fonts between wordmark, NOB, and numbers looks cluttered and inconsistent.

From the link you showed me, the DR and Venezuela both had 3 titles from 1977 to 1983

Caribbean Series totals from 1970-1980

DOM 41 - 27

PUR 36 - 32

VEN 33 - 29

MEX 23 - 43

WBC Main Event totals from 1969-1981

VEN 12-6

PUR 9-7

DOM 2-8

MEX 2-8

I understand this is a concept thread , but the Dominican Republic won both Caribbean Series in 1973 and 1977 both hosted by Venezuela.

Well then again that's only one team in the Dominican. I don't recognize any players on the back of the jersey until like the 1993 tournament. They get good I promise.

That's ok, getting back on topic here are my favorites so far:

WBC Logos - 1981 & 1973
Home - Netherlands
Away- Cuba
Set- Taiwan
Hat - Venezuela
Home - Netherlands
Away - Puerto Rico
Set- Puerto Rico
Hat - Venezuela
Home - Venezuela
Away - Puerto Rico