1989 World Baseball Cup

raysox

IBF.png

I'm finally done with school, and felt like this was a good time to release my project I've been working on or months.Do you guys remember this project? Last summer I really wanted to do a project that took a year by year series of concepts and they evolved over time. I chose a world baseball tournament. My idea was to go from 1953 to 2013 and make a tournament every 4 years. Back then, I planned out my series and set off.

But it was clunky, the template was bad, the stories were long, and I lost interest quickly because I had gotten some facts wrong.

But now I'm back!

Some back story. The MLB got together with the IBAF, the governing body for baseball, in 2005 and then started doing the World Baseball Classic. 16 teams would play around the world, then go to the US and do knockout rounds, all during spring training. But here is my story, what if the MLB got together with the IBAF in 1953. I rebranded them as the IBF. The Baseball World Cup was founded in 1938, but was never on a big scale. This would be the biggest scale, essentially the most competitive competition in baseball history. Eventually it will merge with the World Baseball Classic's history. There are some rules.

Starting in 1953, every 4 years the World Baseball Cup would be held in early March. Qualifying would take place the year before. There will be a rotating host. These hosts are stadiums in the samen city, region, or country. Each group would get one stadium as their base, so they didn't have to travel until the knockout rounds. 95% of the stadiums I use existed when they would host the games. The few that aren't would've been renovated or built for the tournament(most are only off by a year, but it's worth noting). A player is eligible to play for a country by birthplace, heritage, or citizenship. Currently there are 16 tournaments. The teams performance are based on random group draws and players of that era. The number of teams in each tournament grew as I saw acceptable. The uniforms also evolve with the times. If this tournament existed in real life, I imagine baseball would be a lot bigger, but for sake of argument, other than the tournament, everything else would be the same.

So sit back and enjoy because this is already one of my favorite series I've made.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1953.png

The first World Baseball Cup was held in 1953. Since the MLB put it together, they decided on two cathedrals of baseball, Yankee Stadium and the Polo Grounds. The MLB filled up 8 teams from 8 different countries. This tournament is the only one in history that didn't have any form of qualifying. This tournament wasn't promoted very well, and the teams played in front of half emptied stadiums. The tournament was also the coldest on record. Being played the first month of March, many players were glad to go to spring training in Florida.

Everyone expected the USA to win the whole thing, and they breezed through the group stages. Japan was the favorite to advance out of Group B. A Puerto Rican team lead by a young kid named Roberto Clemente helped Puerto Rico advance. Cuba was the biggest surprise of the tournament, going 2-1 in the group stages, and knocking out Japan in the semi-finals. Jackie Robinson had the game winning run in front of the Yankee Stadium crowd, scoring the first title for the Americans

Tournament.png

Caps.png

The logo seems a bit too modern for 1953. The font in particular doesn't seem to fit the time period, while the rest is vague enough to fit in almost any time. Great work so far, the uniforms look pretty neat, I especailly like Mexico and the monogram for the US.

spacer.png

I'll definitely be following this. Are you planning on covering the qualifiers too?

Yeah for sure, that'll be in 1957 forward.

Thanks for the kind words guys. Matt, that's the first time anyone said that about the font. It's the NFL font but I felt it could work as something from the 1950s. It's just really simple i think.

Skinny, how come you don't like the Japanese uniforms? I think they last one more tournament, just curious.

These all really work well for the time periods. In the future, will you do like European qualifiers (and other continents)? Another question, For example, the Dutch national football/soccer team is called Oranje, so would the home set have Oranje and the away have Nederland? Or would both sets have Nederland? Also, +1 follower.

That's what- She

I'll definitely be following this. Are you planning on covering the qualifiers too?

Yeah for sure, that'll be in 1957 forward.

Thanks for the kind words guys. Matt, that's the first time anyone said that about the font. It's the NFL font but I felt it could work as something from the 1950s. It's just really simple i think.

Skinny, how come you don't like the Japanese uniforms? I think they last one more tournament, just curious.

The font seems somewhat too modern. That's just my opinion on it though. But, I absolutely love that it says Nippon on it. That is a really clever idea!

1957.png

Under the original agreement for the tournament, the Nippon Professional League would host the 2nd tournament. After the New York tournament, they announced two stadiums in Tokyo would host the 1957 games. After the success of the first tournament, teams were assembled for the US Territory of Hawaii and the country of Panama. Since only 8 teams could qualify, the teams were grouped by continent, with one team in both North America and Latin America would have a best of 3 playoff. The host would automatically qualify for the tournament. Panama beat Canada twice in the playoffs, earning their first bid to the World Baseball Cup.
Qualifying.png

The Yomiuri Giants' stadium would host Group A, and the Tokyo Swallows stadium would host Group B. This was the first tournament that needed a tie breaker to decide who advances. The tie goes to teams with the most runs scored. The USA's first tournament loss was against Japan to open the Cup. The USA, Japan, and Dominicans all beat eachother, ending up with a 2-1 record. Roberto Clemente rinced the Group B pitching, leading his team to a perfect 3-0 record.
The Americans were able to shut down Puerto Rico to advance to a rematch against the Japanese. Whitey Ford was able to retire 20 straight batters after a solo home run in the 2nd inning, and the USA would win their 2nd straight title. Many newspapers discredited the tournament for not proving anything, and the Americans were always going to win the title. The next tournament would be held in Puerto Rico.
Tournament.png
Caps.png

Archived