• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For whatever this may be worth, and because I know some have asked about this before, the website/designer community Dribbble works pretty much just like this. That said, that's also "stompin' with the big dogs" there. So with that said, I think something akin to a Dribbble "D-League" might work around here. It'd be a more interactive logolympiad/design contest type thing.

It was actually mentioned in this very thread.

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

I don't know when they debuted it, but Dribbble, the social networking/portfolio website for creatives, pretty much uses my exact idea, going so far as to even use the term "draft". Right now to join Dribbble you need to be invited, or you can be "drafted" after you make a profile for yourself with a link to your online portfolio.

I'd love to know when Dribbble adopted this concept because if they debuted after I made this post I am gonna be SERIOUSLY ANGRY!!!!!!!!!!

With all the creatives who visit this site I'm surprised there wasn't at least one that was familiar with Dribbble and gave me the heads up that they used my concept already. Unless, of course, my post inspired Dribbble and they came up with their own "Graphic Designer Draft" system after reading my idea.

Soooo... anyone on Dribbble? When did you join? Has their drafting system always been a part of their site or did it just randomly appear one day? If so, I wonder where they got the idea from! :angered:

Here are some relevant links:

Main Dribbble home page: https://dribbble.com/

List of "prospects" who can be "drafted" to Dribbble: https://dribbble.com/designers/prospects

Official explanation of the Dribbble drafting system: http://help.dribbble.com/#how-are-players-drafted

One more thing: I just realized that even the name of this company is sports related: "Dribbble", as in dribbling a basketball! I don't know if that was intentional to tie-in with the whole drafting idea, but Dribbble as a whole isn't sports-centric so it's kind of odd that they'd pick a sports term for the name. If the whole basketball / sports theme is intentional they keep it VERY subtle. Also very odd that they would spell the name with three b's. I wonder why...

But seriously: You're joking, right?

Never argue with an idiot! They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.––George Carlin

I don't mind joining this one as a Rookie. I haven't made a concept or a series yet since I became a member for a year and 4 months. The reason why I joined here is to improve my skills as graphic artist even though I never took a class in graphic arts part. I self-taught myself for 12 years. I should take some classes in skillshare site which would tune my skills. I have been drawing since I was 3 years old, maybe 2 years old.

If anyone want me being on the "The Bench" that is fine I got alot to learn anyway so Bring it on!

Alamo%2BBowl_sig.png

Liberty Bowl_sig.png

FEAR THE FROG! LET'S GO TCU!!

I don't know when they debuted it, but Dribbble, the social networking/portfolio website for creatives, pretty much uses my exact idea, going so far as to even use the term "draft". Right now to join Dribbble you need to be invited, or you can be "drafted" after you make a profile for yourself with a link to your online portfolio.

I'd love to know when Dribbble adopted this concept because if they debuted after I made this post I am gonna be SERIOUSLY ANGRY!!!!!!!!!!

If you see the copyright line at the bottom of the website, Dribbble has been around since 2009. "Dribbble" was used because the creators were big basketball fans, specifically Celtics fans, as the company itself is located in Salem, Mass. The third B was used because there already was a dribble.com.

Dribbble hosts many networking nights across the company. I attended one at their headquarters in Salem one night, and was able to network and connect with others in the print and web design industry. One of their founders, Dan Cederholm, is well-known in the web design field, and has even authored a few books and design blogs.

Many top-name industry designers already have Dribbble accounts, as well as a large number of members here (including myself http://dribbble.com/thejimdesign).

If anything, Dribbble may accuse you of lifting their idea, not the other way around.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Okay, fine, Dribbble has been around for at least 6 years and came up with the graphic designer draft concept first, but I just want to point out to all my haters who bashed my idea that my concept was already being used by another company that went from only 6,000 Likes on their Facebook page to well over 20,000 just in a few months. How "unrealistic" is my idea now folks?

Dribbble is catching fire, and the more popular it gets means the less of a chance I have of having my own graphic designer draft website. Obviously if I made my own and used the same terminology Dribbble would accuse me of ripping them off, so let me set the record straight: my concept being similar to theirs is a complete coincidence. If you read my original post you'll see a lot of differences between my concept and Dribbble's draft system, so that just furthers the idea that this is just a coincidence. I've had the graphic designer draft idea in the back of my head for years. Obviously I can't prove when I came up with it but I just want to explain what's up. This phenomenon of two or more people independently inventing something around the same time has happened all throughout history, there are many examples of it.

I think that it should be one league where everyone collaborates and improves together. Artists that have diverse interests (ie: people that would like to compete in more than one sport. I like the idea of having rotating jobs- but maybe have 6 people on a team where two people are collaborating on each component of an identity. I also think that the finals should be an expansion uniform set because I know that I have always wanted to create my own team and I think that others probably have too.

hmm… I know there is a lot of artists and designers here. But how about do it like 5-man rotation in a team like for baseball's starting pitcher rotation? A season should be a 10 matches meaning a designer/artist get to do two matches each to give everybody a chance to compete against other teams' designers in various events like the idea of "hand drawn logo only", "movie-actor theme basketball team", etc. Just like Logolympics event was done before where everybody vote the best projects by placing 1,2, and 3. But this one should be different. So it will be a team match as many of teams involved during a season. Just put a list of who will be the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th in the rotation list made by the team and can change the rotation after the 5th match. in every match will get an surprise assignment by the league commissioner/official. Let's also have a standing made too. Top 4 per division go to playoffs. In a playoffs has a special rules, 3-man team vs 3-man team which allow 3 players chose by teammates to work together instead of a single player match. I think it would be a lot of fun, but IT IS ONLY MY OPINION or IDEA. It would be awesome thou.

Alamo%2BBowl_sig.png

Liberty Bowl_sig.png

FEAR THE FROG! LET'S GO TCU!!

Okay, fine, Dribbble has been around for at least 6 years and came up with the graphic designer draft concept first, but I just want to point out to all my haters who bashed my idea that my concept was already being used by another company that went from only 6,000 Likes on their Facebook page to well over 20,000 just in a few months. How "unrealistic" is my idea now folks?

Dribbble is catching fire, and the more popular it gets means the less of a chance I have of having my own graphic designer draft website. Obviously if I made my own and used the same terminology Dribbble would accuse me of ripping them off, so let me set the record straight: my concept being similar to theirs is a complete coincidence. If you read my original post you'll see a lot of differences between my concept and Dribbble's draft system, so that just furthers the idea that this is just a coincidence. I've had the graphic designer draft idea in the back of my head for years. Obviously I can't prove when I came up with it but I just want to explain what's up. This phenomenon of two or more people independently inventing something around the same time has happened all throughout history, there are many examples of it.

First of all: I don't think anyone was "bashing" your idea. It's a lofty one -- lofty ideas tend to be very difficult to pull off properly. With a concept like a "designer league," if you truly want it to be taken seriously, you can't shoot for just proper execution, you need flawless execution. That's just how this sort of thing works. If done right, this is something that could actually enhance people's livelihoods -- but it needs to be perfect. If done wrong? Well...let's just say it wouldn't be the first start-up to flounder.

Secondly: Dribbble is a niche site. If you're not in the design community, there's a good chance you don't know about it. And why would you? Pinterest has practically cornered the market on everything Dribbble already is: a pin board for great looking content by great designers. Measuring a niche site by their Facebook Likes is a terrible analytic to use, in that light. Not everyone on Dribbble uses Facebook, and certainly not everyone on Facebook uses Dribbble. A quick Google search turned up the following: Dribbble.com averages 45,000 unique visitors per day and almost 225,000 pageviews per day with an estimated worth of $327K. By comparison, Pinterest.com has 1.3M unique visitors with an astonishing 9M pageviews daily with an estimated worth of $13M. That's the portion of the pie we're dealing with here.

Ironically, though: Pinterest was registered 2 years after Dribbble. If anything, you could argue that Pinterest lifted the idea from Dribbble. I'm sure there's a sound reason why they haven't.

TRoy is right. You immediately cried intellectual property theft against a company that established itself years before you posted this thread, and that's what people might be "hating" on you for. If there's one thing I've learned about the internet as a whole, it's this: Fact check, fact check, fact check. Be sure you know what you're talking about before you start making bold claims, otherwise, you'll wind up hurting your own image in the process.

JP is right. Drafting designers into companies isn't a new concept. That's the job hiring and interview process as a whole. That's just how that works. Companies interview and select designers who, they feel, would be the best fit for their team, and compensate them accordingly. TL-DR; Be good and make dollah dollah bills, y'all.

What you could propose is: If you're still set on the league/team idea, then leave it up to those teams' discretion if they want to take the next step and become an actual company.

Archived