Repairing the Colorado Avalanche

Snow_Monster

Rebrand, Overhaul, Redesign, you name it. The Colorado Avalanche are in need of it...badly. For those who aren't familiar with what they wear now, let me show you what needs fixing.

rbkp_colorado.jpg

Since 2007 the Avs have had to wear these abominations. Ever since switching over to the Reebok EDGE design, Colorado's team has worn some of the most boring, uninspired, and frankly ugly uniforms in all of professional sports. Look at that white jersey and tell me you don't see an apron. Almost universally depised by the passionate fans it is pretty clear that a change is needed - and soon.

Before that, the Avs wore some of the most creatively unique jerseys in the league. The mountains on the hem and sleeves helped create the Avalanche identity.

RayBourque22yrs.jpg20130524__24Stp9-4~1_300.jpg

The Avalanche really need to go back to something like this. So I came up with a way to solve the situation.

026c785b-c6a7-469d-afc8-d87794b98479_zps

As you can see it is a redux of sorts but introduces something familiar in a classic, but modern way. Things are a little simpler without loosing the uniqueness that screams Colorado. In past uniforms, the home and away haven't completely matched up in terms of color. The white sweaters used grey/silver, but the dark uniforms did not and instead utilized white and black (although there was grey in the socks, but they didn't quite match the piping in the rest of the jersey). I wanted to sync things up by making the set more uniform in their color scheme. I thought of eliminating black, but having the gloves, pants, and helmets any other color looks weird. Instead, I managed to incorporate the white, black, and grey in both primary uniforms without making too big of a change.

As for the alternates, they obviously take inspiration from the past uniforms of the Quebec Nordiques.

nordiques.jpg

I think it's important for teams to pay tribute to their roots without going overboard with it. The Avs are no longer the Nordiques, but I think that a subtle nod to the previous organization would be a good thing. However, in doing so they don't change their identity. This is an Avalanche sweater plain and simple. The highlighting of blue, white, and grey reminds one of the chilly snow capped rockies, but does so in such a way that it creates a certain continuity if you will. As much as I love those glorious burgundy thirds, I decided to go in a different creative direction that heralds to a little bit of history of the Avalanche club.

Anyhow, what do you guys think?

Wow, very good. Another great avs concept, once again proving how much better their unis could be. Although I'm not as gaga over the mountain striping as it seems a lot of people are, but this is fantastic. Great third too.

spacer.png

Crazy how different the two cup winning jerseys look...

Anyways, this concept looks great! You recreated the feel of the cup jerseys without copying them outright. Good as the main set looks, what's really flooring me is the alternate. After enduring that garbage rangers rip off for so many years, I'd all but written off the possibility of a blue Avalanche jersey looking good. The striping is nice and minimal while the logo on blue looks spectacular! Great work all around.

Anyways, this concept looks great! You recreated the feel of the cup jerseys without copying them outright. Good as the main set looks, what's really flooring me is the alternate. After enduring that garbage rangers rip off for so many years, I'd all but written off the possibility of a blue Avalanche jersey looking good. The striping is nice and minimal while the logo on blue looks spectacular! Great work all around.

If you're bandwagoning, you should update your sig :P

spacer.png

I really like that 3rd uniform with the silver and blue. Great way to tie in Nordiques history but I think something like that could look good for the Avs. I am also at the conclusion that they need a new identity going forward in their history. The current logo looks ok, but here in Denver a huge shift towards the Stae flag-related designs has taken over. Maybe if they could incorporate the yellow, red, and blue into their design like the ol' Colorado Rockies, it would be a huge seller here in town, but I know the NJ Devils own the Rockies' stuff. Cool concept.

I've never been a fan of the original Avalanche design. Never mind that, the first time that I saw the logo, I had no idea what it was supposed to be. I thought that the shallow angles of the striping (which I didn't know were supposed to be mountains) clashed with the sharper angles of the logo, and that black didn't fit their color scheme (though I first read it as deep blue, which *would* have fit.) Anyway, all this is to say that you fixed all the missteps in their original uniforms, and I'm *almost* sold.

rATMcmK.png

Wow, very good. Another great avs concept, once again proving how much better their unis could be. Although I'm not as gaga over the mountain striping as it seems a lot of people are, but this is fantastic. Great third too.

Awesome! I'm happy you like 'em.

Beautiful, amazing.

The only thing I'd change is one the home and away, add a dip under the number because its too close to each other right now...other than that, no complaints!

Thanks for the kind words and your suggestion, I'll start experimenting with the numbers and the mountain striping.

Thank you Morgo, I'm flattered. It means a lot coming from you. Your hand drawn series was very enjoyable and although time didn't permit me to comment on it while it was ongoing, I followed it closely and liked what I saw.

I really like that 3rd uniform with the silver and blue. Great way to tie in Nordiques history but I think something like that could look good for the Avs. I am also at the conclusion that they need a new identity going forward in their history. The current logo looks ok, but here in Denver a huge shift towards the Stae flag-related designs has taken over. Maybe if they could incorporate the yellow, red, and blue into their design like the ol' Colorado Rockies, it would be a huge seller here in town, but I know the NJ Devils own the Rockies' stuff. Cool concept.

Glad you enjoyed it. Personally, I'm not a big fan of moving towards the state flag design, but you never know. It may present an interesting design opportunity. I really like the old Rockies logo, but like you said NJ owns it.

Great work!

Now: Do a fantasy concept where the table were turned. Do a contemporary Nordiques set and do an Avalanche tribute in the alternate.

Haha, thanks very much. As odd as that idea is, I kinda like it. I may have to come up with something latter.

I've never been a fan of the original Avalanche design. Never mind that, the first time that I saw the logo, I had no idea what it was supposed to be. I thought that the shallow angles of the striping (which I didn't know were supposed to be mountains) clashed with the sharper angles of the logo, and that black didn't fit their color scheme (though I first read it as deep blue, which *would* have fit.) Anyway, all this is to say that you fixed all the missteps in their original uniforms, and I'm *almost* sold.

I appreciate the comment Whittier. I'm glad that I *almost* sold you, but navy blue wouldn't look bad...

• 4 weeks later...

Okay... I know I'm late to the party, but I just needed to say how spectacular these are! Miles better than what they wear now and quite possibly the best Colorado Avalanche concept jerseys that I have seen yet, and I've seen them all andby all I mean ALL! :notworthy::love: If there is a way to get these to Sakic, Roy, anc Co. they really really need to see these!

Okay... I know I'm late to the party, but I just needed to say how spectacular these are! Miles better than what they wear now and quite possibly the best Colorado Avalanche concept jerseys that I have seen yet, and I've seen them all andby all I mean ALL! :notworthy::love: If there is a way to get these to Sakic, Roy, anc Co. they really really need to see these!

Much appreciated!

Archived