Show Your Mini Helmets

BucksFan5

I'm trying to have a Pocket Pro representation of every helmet worn in the NFL since 1960, including one-off preseason models and alternates. Many or even most have to be custom made. There have been three styles of Pocket Pros produced: two-bar, traditional, and Revolution. I've tried to create each one in the style that is appropriate for the era or eras in which it was worn, somewhat arbitrarily using the two-bar model for 1960-79, the traditional model for 1980-2002, and the Revolution style for 2003 to present.

The ones facing forward in the photos are shells for the ones I have yet to complete. The display unit is something I made using craft boards purchased at Lowes. Please overlook the poor lighting in the photos, as the lighting in the room isn't great...

IMG_4436_zpsuwgxdqse.jpg

Didn't the Redskins' leather helmets have a black facemask? B)

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh, my, they did indeed! I looked at several photos trying to get the colors right and paid no attention to the mask, assuming it was gray. I will change that out. Thanks!

I think that's the only mistake I noticed. Awesome collection, Jim. Great display, too.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

On 10/28/2015 at 6:58 PM, benpc21 said:

Coogrfan - Does buying an already complete helmet and removing the decals leave any residue where the logos were? If so any tips for removing without damaging the finish?

Not if you're careful. Heat the decal you want to remove with a blow dryer. When the decal is warm to the touch, lift a corner and slide a piece of label paper backing material (shiny side up) between the decal and the helmet surface. Warm the decal again and slowly work a little more of the decal loose (pulling from as close to the surface as you can) and then move the backing paper so that no part of the loosened decal is in contact with the surface of the helmet. Keep doing this until the decal is removed. If there is still some adhesive on the surface of the helmet you can usually just roll it off with your fingers, if not a little Goo Gone should take care of the rest. Either way it's a good idea to wash the helmet with a little dishwashing liquid and then let it air dry before repainting and/or applying decals. 

EDIT: Note that the above instructions were written with standard decals in mind. If you're careful they should be reusable (some trimming of the edges may be necessary). Chrome decals are another story. I attempted to remove some Tulane chrome logo decals from a matte white mini Speed helmet over the weekend. They came off as easily as any other decal, but they were so mangled that they went straight into the trash. 

REMOVINGMINIHELMETLOGOS_zps1caacc42.jpg

IMG_2165_zps05699182.jpg

Coogrfan - Does buying an already complete helmet and removing the decals leave any residue where the logos were? If so any tips for removing without damaging the finish?

Not if you're careful. Heat the decal you want to remove with a blow dyer. Once it's warm to the touch, lift a corner and slide a piece of label paper backing material between the decal and the helmet surface. Warm the decal again and slowly work a little more of the decal loose (pulling from as close to the surface as you can) and then move the backing paper so that no part of the loosened decal is in contact with the surface of the helmet. Keep doing this until the decal is removed. A little Goo Gone should take care of any remaining adhesive on the surface of the helmet.

Perfect! Thanks for the response.

SEAsig.png

Didn't see this posted yet, but http://www.helmetnation.com/ has a nice selection of mini helmets. Can't post pictures at the moment, but right now my collection includes Penn State, Iowa, Illinois (orange with blue logo), and Wisconsin. My favorite, however, is my Ohio State helmet autographed by AJ Hawk. Right now I need a place to put the helmets, though. They're all still in the boxes since I want to keep them clean, but hopefully I can find a nice case to put them in.

Not if you're careful. Heat the decal you want to remove with a blow dyer. Once it's warm to the touch, lift a corner and slide a piece of label paper backing material between the decal and the helmet surface. Warm the decal again and slowly work a little more of the decal loose (pulling from as close to the surface as you can) and then move the backing paper so that no part of the loosened decal is in contact with the surface of the helmet. Keep doing this until the decal is removed. A little Goo Gone should take care of any remaining adhesive on the surface of the helmet.

Perfect! Thanks for the response.

You're welcome. I forgot to mention that if you do wind up using Goo Gone you should wash the helmet with dishwashing liquid before you attempt to paint and/or apply decals.

This is still hanging in my childhood bedroom at my parents' house.

NFLchrompockpros.jpg

My grandmother got it for me for Christmas one year and it's probably my favorite gift I've ever received.

I have that too...like, the exact same version! Christmas 2001, courtesy of the 'rents. I haven't updated, but in some cases (Falcons, Seahawks, Dolphins, Lions) the original is so much better...

This is still hanging in my childhood bedroom at my parents' house.

NFLchrompockpros.jpg

My grandmother got it for me for Christmas one year and it's probably my favorite gift I've ever received.

I have that too...like, the exact same version! Christmas 2001, courtesy of the 'rents. I haven't updated, but in some cases (Falcons, Seahawks, Dolphins, Lions) the original is so much better...

Christmas 01 was exactly when I got mine too because it didn't have the Texans. I added the Texans and updated it as the years went along and teams made changes until they stopped making the chrome pocket pros in that style. I have the blue Seahawks, new Falcons, and I put grey facemasks from other pocket pro sets on the Colts and Browns.

For years I'd arrange the helmets facing each other depending on the matchups that were happening that week, but now my helmets still to this day face to the left so the a-hole steelers logo isn't visible.

PvO6ZWJ.png

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

My girlfriend got me something for Christmas that I've always wanted, an authentic Eagles Riddell helmet. I was thrilled when I opened it and although I've always wanted it for display purposes, my inner child made me want to put it on right away. Unfortunately, my head is too big and I couldn't put it on. I see inside that it's a size L which seems to be the only size available for purchase. I typically wear an XL hat so I thought I'd see if I could take some pads out. I got the ear pads out and was able to slide it onto my head further than before but still no luck. I can't seem to get the other pads out because they're connected to the inflatable portions. Any tips on how to deflate these parts or remove them without damaging the helmet? I believe it's a VSR4. I've never played football so this is my first experience with a full size helmet. 

• 3 months later...

Archived