72Freebie's ECHL(Wheeling Thunderbirds [87/87] Completed!

72freebie

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The next team is the San Diego Gulls. This team had probably the craziest jerseys in ECHL history with huge waves behind the logo and gradients galore. I don't see why they did this because the logo is pretty good and they could have had a good look. My concept is a mix between traditional and modern with slightly curved striping. The third jersey brings back the logo from the WCHL in the newer colors and uses a similar design but adds some "speed stripes" into the chest stripe.

San Diego Gulls

San Diego.png

qG3b3mu.pngK0Kq4L6.pnglSDF7kP.png

Our next team is the San Francisco Bulls. I'm just going to say that I hate the logo. There are just too many gradients going on here. I decided to keep them though because a solid color actually looked even worse. So I thought if i'm going to have gradients in the logo then  we better have them in the jersey too. I used a horn design similar to what they wore but a little more modern. I filled it with the white to brown gradient and it actually turned out better than I thought it would. I also did it on the numbers so that this jersey totally stands out. The third jersey is a homage to the California Seals who were the first professional hockey team to play in the bay area.

San Francisco Bulls

San Francisco.png

The next team is the Stockton thunder. I really liked this teams jerseys that they wore. The lightning bolts looked really nice and it was definitely unique. The only thing that i didn't like was the rounded yokes. It just looked out of place. My concept keeps the lightning bolts but connect them from the arm to the hem. I also changed the away jersey to yellow and resembles that actual alternate jersey that they wore. I think that this team could have pulled off a gold helmet. The third jersey uses the horizontal script and is basically just a simple and clean 3rd jersey.

Stockton Thunder

Stockton.png

Great job on the home and away jersey! The lightning bolt idea looks fantastic on both of those jerseys.

I'm not sold on the alternate jersey though. Looks very bland to me. Almost looks like a beer league team. Would've liked to have seen a black version on the home and away as the alternate.

On ‎07‎/‎02‎/‎2016 at 11:14 PM, 72freebie said:

The next team is the San Diego Gulls. This team had probably the craziest jerseys in ECHL history with huge waves behind the logo and gradients galore. I don't see why they did this because the logo is pretty good and they could have had a good look. My concept is a mix between traditional and modern with slightly curved striping. The third jersey brings back the logo from the WCHL in the newer colors and uses a similar design but adds some "speed stripes" into the chest stripe.

San Diego Gulls

San Diego.png

BuyNow.jpg.24cba9310755678742c43c696d5a8

@Frenchie_TO
Owner of the Rochester Americans of the MLH

Owner of the Toronto Frenchies of the GCFHL6

On ‎12‎/‎09‎/‎2015 at 8:54 PM, 72freebie said:

The next team is the Huntsville Blast. This team only played for one season in the early 90's and I couldn't find a picture of their jerseys, so I cant critique them. My concept is very simple but has a unique striping pattern. The third I think looks really cool and I am happy with how the whole set turned out.

Huntsville Blast

Huntsville_zpsql85a7ni.png

You can see what they were wearing (and maybe why they didn't last long...) in this YouTube video:

https://youtu.be/0yq2p_9dVG4

@Frenchie_TO

WOW! That's a lot to digest.... in a good way.

There is no doubt that this is one of my favourite project in a long time.

It's an ambitious one too, not just in size, but also in scope.

Let's face it, there has been some real ugly logos throughout the ECHL's history, and some very "interesting" colour schemes.

You've done them all justice, some you've actualized, others you gave their retro feel.

So if I were to look for improvement, after a long long time staring at them in awe, would be to look for a greater variety in trims/templates.

I understand that, as the expression says: "there's just so many ways to skin a cat" (I don't even want to know where that expression comes from), but at one point I started seeing some repetition in some of the sleeves patterns. I would love to put all the concepts side by side on a board to get a real sense of the variety you've displayed, maybe I'd be proven wrong.

Again, this is outstanding work. I considered doing a "play-by-play", but I don't have enough vacation days...

@Frenchie_TO

• 2 weeks later...

the next team is the Tallahassee Tiger Sharks. This team had some really crazy jerseys with a weird tiger stripe design that fit the identity really well. My favorite part was the shark jaw outline on the arm with the number inside of it. I made sure I included that on my concept. I went for a very 90's design with some curvy striping from the hem to the arm and then some curved spikes inside. The third jersey is yet another double colored one and it was inspired by the "turdburger" buffalo Sabres jersey.

Tallahassee Tiger Sharks

Tallahasee.png

The next team is the Texas Wildcatters. I like the jerseys that this team wore. They were a really good example of how curved stripes can look really good. My set keeps the curved stripes and is based off of the design that teh SJ sharks used around the same time that this team played. The main point of interest is the oil towers under the arms. I feel that this would work really well and would make the team stand out even more. 

Texas Wildcatters

Texas.png

Archived