Deflategate -- Patriots Busted

leopard88

Does any of this negate the fact that the Pats steamrolled the Colts in that game? That's why I just can't get up in arms about this. It's not like the game was close. A properly inflated football wouldn't have made the Colts run defence any more effective. The Pats, like it or not, deserved to win that game.

That's not the point, Mike. The one game has never been the point.

If you read the texts, they're from all throughout last season.

Beyond that, the point isn't whether they "needed" to cheat, it's that they did.

Part of the irony (?) is that they probably didn't have to cheat to beat the Colts. However, they apparently just can't help themselves.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Week 6 NE @ IND.

Might as well make the spread 55pts for NE... in which case I'll still take the over. Beyond well over. :boogie:

Haha, really funny. I'd say the Colts win in a close one and Brady get injured in that game (not that I want him to be injured). :devil:

Does any of this negate the fact that the Pats steamrolled the Colts in that game? That's why I just can't get up in arms about this. It's not like the game was close. A properly inflated football wouldn't have made the Colts run defence any more effective. The Pats, like it or not, deserved to win that game.

That's not the point, Mike. The one game has never been the point.

Exactly right. I hope the Patriots have a losing record this year because they deserve it. B)

Orlando%20Magic_zpsjn8kx3lf.png

Suspensions I'd levy:

Belichick - Indefinitely (he can apply for reinstatement after Super Bowl 50)

Kraft - 1 season

Brady - 8 games

Others involved would be suspended according to their role.

bYhYmxh.png

What would suspending an owner actually mean though?

Beyond stopping him going to games I can't think of anything that the League could do for that punishment

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

sorry sweetie, but I don't suck minor-league d

CCSLC Post of the day September 3rd 2012

http://www.theonion.com/article/nation-cant-wait-to-hear-patriots-fans-excuses-thi-37819?utm_campaign=default&utm_medium=ShareTools&utm_source=facebook

WASHINGTON—After an NFL investigation revealed that 11 of New England’s 12 game balls were under-inflated during last weekend’s AFC Championship Game, Americans across the nation announced Wednesday that they would love—absolutely love—to hear the excuses from Patriots fans this time. “No, no, by all means, go ahead,” said every single person living outside of Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Vermont, Maine, Rhode Island, and Connecticut before reportedly smiling and adding, “I’m all ears.” “Wait, let me guess: The deflated footballs were also easier to catch for the Colts defense, so the Patriots didn’t have a real advantage, right? Or is it that the score was so lopsided that it didn’t matter in the end? No, seriously, I’m sure you guys have something really great cooked up for this one.” The American populace went on to say that they also absolutely cannot wait to hear how this new scandal will have no effect on the legacy of Tom Brady.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

More like 2 ball guys, who by their texts seem like some real geniuses, were probably busted (ie: 50.01% chance). There appears to be little if any evidence the Patriots organization or Tom Brady did anything wrong.

You're a damned fool if you believe that Tom Brady didn't have a part in this.

Now he's at the top of the food chain (on the field-wise), but I don't think Belichick cared about the size or weight of the balls. He's got so much more to worry about. I don't think the coaching staff really has time for fiddling around with the weight and size of the balls.

However, the guy that handles the ball for every play would definitely care, and he would have the most input and final word on the balls. No way in hell were these two ball-boys going renegade and deflating the balls on their own. They're easily-replaceable people if the star quarterback isn't liking their work. They're also easy to pin things on should the blame need to be placed somewhere. (They're also easy to bribe in order to take the blame, as well.)

These two ball-boys are going to be fired. No point in suspending part-time/seasonal employees.

Tom Brady will be fined and probably should be suspended for a game or two. Don't think he'll miss any games, though.

Belichick may be fined, at most, but that won't matter much. He shouldn't miss games. The players and/or owner will pick up his fine.

The Patriots' president and/or GM should be fined. Suspending them from games is a pointless consequence...not much they do between training camp and the end of the season.

Kraft should be fined and indefinitely suspended from whatever committees he's a part of.

If the league is serious about being stricter, here's their chance to prove to the NFLPA that no one is exempt from tougher punishment.

That's not the point, Mike.

It is though. When the first reaction to this news was "let the Ravens play the Colts to see who represents the AFC" from certain segments of the populace? It becomes hard to deny that the AFC title game wasn't the point.

I mean the Ravens then tried to go "oh yeah, they did that to us too," but only after the Colts brought it up following the AFC title game. Again, hard to see how that game isn't the point.

The one game has never been the point.

The entire season. Sixteen games. Plus the Baltimore playoff game. And no one said anything until the Colts brought it up following the AFC Championship. I hear people claiming that these allegations taint the entire Brady/Belichick era. Which only makes things more ridiculous. Now it's not just seventeen games. It's fifteen years. Fifteen years and no one caught on? No one for, at the very least, seventeen games noticed the Pats' footballs were lighter?

I mean I get it, it's cheating. And punish everyone who you can prove knew about it. Take draft picks away, suspend Brady and Belichick if the evidence is there, go for it.

My objection is with people wanting so badly for this to erase everything the Pats did for the better part of two decades. As if it suddenly means you can discount probably the greatest team of its era. It all just comes off as much ado about nothing, because nothing really negates the dominance of the legacies involved.

I mean does any of this negate what Brady and co. managed to do in four Super Bowls? I don't think so, to be perfectly honest. It really only seems like it may if you already want to hate the Brady era Pats.

That and the behaviour of NFL players and staff has been so abysmal that I just cannot bring myself to get worked up over Tom Brady possibly deflating footballs. Same thing with NCAA football. I really can't bring myself to care about a kid trading gear for shoes or tattoos after Penn State.

It does diminish it, just a little.

Unlike your NCAA example, or the many off-season scandals, this is something that absolutely could have created a competitive imbalance on the field. It's absurd to say that it doesn't cast the tiniest shadow over their accomplishments on the field, regardless of your scandal fatigue.

I have no particular hate for Brady or the Patriots, but this does change things. It has to.

Unlike your NCAA example, or the many off-season scandals, this is something that absolutely could have created a competitive imbalance on the field. It's absurd to say that it doesn't cast the tiniest shadow over their accomplishments on the field, regardless of your scandal fatigue.

I never meant to imply that that the off-field scandals impact the competitive balance more so or less so then what the Pats did.

Simply that I find it hard to care about the competitive balance of a football game after it's revealed that a major NCAA program had been aiding a rapist for over a decade or that the NFL is full of grown men who hit children and women. That's worth getting outraged over.

It's not so much scandal fatigue as much as it is some much needed clarity. That what we're supposed to be outraged over regarding sports aren't the most offensive things about sports.

When the NFL gets its house in order? Then I can feel "outraged" about Tom Brady letting some air out of a football.

It does diminish it, just a little.

I have no particular hate for Brady or the Patriots, but this does change things. It has to.

I saw the New England Patriots go toe to toe with the supposed world beating Seahawks and come out on top. The idea that they didn't belong there, or that they only got to where they're at because they cheated, just doesn't hold water with me.

The point is, it's their second offense (after Spygate), so the penalties will be much harder this time around.

If this were the NCAA, this could very well be a case where the death penalty would be considered.

bYhYmxh.png

The point is, it's their second offense (after Spygate), so the penalties will be much harder this time around.

If this were the NCAA, this could very well be a case where the death penalty would be considered.

The NCAA is hardly the paradigm of virtue. Penn State doesn't get the death penalty for aiding a rapist, and has all of the punishments it did receive rolled back. Yet you think the Pats, under that system, would get it for deflating footballs?

This is what I'm talking about regarding "outrage" and much needed clarity when it comes to sports.

Now should the Pats be punished? Yeah. Take draft picks away, fine or suspend Kraft. Fine or suspend everyone else you can prove was involved. I'm just not buying the idea that I should be outraged over this or that this somehow means one of the best teams of the modern era suddenly isn't.

Why did this report come out after the draft? Seems like it would have more immediacy had it been released two weeks ago.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I still think this is the biggest non-story ever, and the exact kind of thing that anyone would just laugh about if it was their team and not the Patriots who were doing it. I mean there's CHEATING :mad: , and then there's "cheating" ;):rolleyes: . If "spygate" was the former, than this is barely even the latter. I'm not a Patriots fan (heck - they CHEATED :mad: to beat "my" team, but this is the exact kind of thing that I'd hope my team would do if they could be smart about it and if they felt it gave them an advantage. Sure, it's "wrong" - and they should be punished. But the punishment should fit the crime, which IMO was minor. Suspend the owner for a year? What does that even mean? He can't sign pay checks or do the books for a year? Can't preside over board meetings or marketing meetings?

Now if a team was down by 2 at the end of the game and brought in a giimmicked ball to kick a 80-yard field goal to win, then that's a different story. I don't think we're talking about anything like that here.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Revoke the title, suspend Brady and Belichick indefinitely, and force the team to play in front of empty stadiums for the 2015 season. That would be my suggested punishment. But anyway...June's coming. At least I can watch the CFL in relative peace.

Archived