Deflategate -- Patriots Busted

leopard88

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fire Goodell,if the NFL had prior knowledge and performed a sting operation instead of confronting the New England. Allowing a cheating team to advance to the Super Bowl and win it hurts the NFL product.

realclearpolitics.com

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire."

- Robert A. Heinlein

Don't think it's clear they do at all.

To this impartial observer it is.

Yeah and I question how much more they're doing that we don't yet know about. Is that fair? Probably not, but they've earned this lack of trust.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Agreed - there's a difference between violations of salary cap or training camp regimen rules and breaking rules to gain a competitive advantage on the field.

False equivalence is false.

IMO, violating the salary cap is on the league for allowing it. Unless I'm wrong, the league has to approve each and every contract. They should be able to track things just as well as each team's cap guy.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Agreed - there's a difference between violations of salary cap or training camp regimen rules and breaking rules to gain a competitive advantage on the field.

False equivalence is false.

IMO, violating the salary cap is on the league for allowing it. Unless I'm wrong, the league has to approve each and every contract. They should be able to track things just as well as each team's cap guy.

the salary cap thing was pretty much guys like elway and terrell davis getting paid under the table outside of their contracts, so the league did have no knowledge of that.

Just because the Patriots will be punished doesn't mean that the team will be stripped of the Super Bowl trophy.

They won't be stripped of it. Anyone even suggesting it is dreaming. The NFL will slap them with a fine, maybe some draft picks, and possibly a suspension for Brady. But that will be the end of it. I mean sure ok, lets entertain the outlandish notion. They strip them of it and give it to who? The Hawks who lost the Super Bowl fair and square? The Colts who didn't even play in the game?

i honestly don't see Brady getting suspended, or if he does he'll appeal and it will go by the letter of the rule which states that altering of the balls is a 25k fine and that is it. maybe they might do something like a 25k fine per ball or something but that is it.

Four game suspension for Tom Brady, per NFL, and Patriots lose 2016 first-rounder, 2017 fourth-rounder, $1M.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

It makes the NFL look like a real joke. They do not have a definate proof that they tampered with the footballs and even if they did it did not change the outcome of the game. The only thing that report said that it "might have happened".

Heck, ESPN even proved on Sportsscience that deflated balls would be a DISADVANTAGE. So they penalize the Patriots for maybe having a DISADVANTAGE in a game.

Wow. I'm surprised that he's missing a quarter of the season -- that's real big. And even better, he's missing a Bills game. I like that!

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

It makes the NFL look like a real joke. They do not have a definate proof that they tampered with the footballs and even if they did it did not change the outcome of the game. The only thing that report said that it "might have happened".

Heck, ESPN even proved on Sportsscience that deflated balls would be a DISADVANTAGE. So they penalize the Patriots for maybe having a DISADVANTAGE in a game.

Really? They do actually have proof of it. That report was indicating that Brady "more probable than not" knew about it.

If they gained an advantage or not isn't the point. The point is the that they willingly, and knowingly broke the rules.

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

Even setting aside the inconvenient fact that ESPN has never proved anything in its existence, the NFL doesn't need "definite proof" to take action. You appear to have confused them with a court of law.

In cases like that the NFL should act like a court of law. Unless you have a 100% secure proof that the balls were deflated of purpose you CAN NOT penalize anybody. It was shown often enough that the balls were on low pressure because of the cold weather that day and not because anyone tampered with them. Several people have proven that with scientific tests.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

It's way too harsh of a ruling, but it's the Patriots, so whatevs. I think Goodell has to crack down on them because: 1) he probably wanted to combat the idea that he was in Kraft's pocket; and 2) this is the Patriots' second instance of high profile cheating. The Giants bailed out the league last time around by beating the Patriots in the Super Bowl (although their cheating was in week one), but this time around the league has the humiliation of their champion being caught cheating that very season.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Fooling themselves for thinking the Patriots cheat even more than the rest of the cheaters? I think it's pretty clear that they do.

This is off the top of my head, so there may be some stuff I am missing, but the Patriots (under the current ownership group) have been disciplined for Spygate and (probably will be) for deflating footballs.

The Jets--disciplined for tampering with players under contract with another team, failing to disclose injuries on the injury report, and a strength coach tripping a Dolphins player during a game.

Messing with the injury report? Like how Brady was listed as "probable" with a shoulder injury for like five years in a row?

Yeah, if there's one team that's synonymous with screwing with the weekly injury reports, it's the Patriots.

Listing players with insignifcant injuries is actually within the rules and is completely different than not listing a player who does have an injury. I don't think the Patriots ever were in trouble for not listing players with injuries.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

i honestly don't see Brady getting suspended, or if he does he'll appeal and it will go by the letter of the rule which states that altering of the balls is a 25k fine and that is it. maybe they might do something like a 25k fine per ball or something but that is it.

Four game suspension for Tom Brady, per NFL, and Patriots lose 2016 first-rounder, 2017 fourth-rounder, $1M.

That 4th round pick is just so random...or maybe not. Maybe that's meant to be chopped off in the appeal.

Prediction on how it ends up:

• 2 games for Brady
  • Fine cut in half
  • 2017 pick restored

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

It's way too harsh of a ruling, but it's the Patriots, so whatevs. I think Goodell has to crack down on them because: 1) he probably wanted to combat the idea that he was in Kraft's pocket; and 2) this is the Patriots' second instance of high profile cheating. The Giants bailed out the league last time around by beating the Patriots in the Super Bowl (although their cheating was in week one), but this time around the league has the humiliation of their champion being caught cheating that very season.

It is indeed way to harsh for a practice that really doesn't provide much edge and probably isn't uncommon.

Spygate was just as stupid. It's still legal to for teams to videotape signals (and whatever else) during a game. Just can't do it from certain locations, and the camera needs to have some sort of enclosure.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

"Generally aware" used to condemn Brady and the Patriots is laughable, after all the crap the league's been "generally aware" of over the years:

PEDs

Physical Abusive players

Salary cap abuse

"Stadium manipulations" - the Cowboys sound in old Texas Stadium wasn't natural, wind tunnels at Giants Stadium, crowns on some fields a few examples

Gambling

Poor officiating

Yeah, laughable

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

Archived