Design Integrity question

iwhitt78

Hey guys... I've been wanting to ask this question for a little while now. I want to be a sports designer but of course, I'm sure a lot of you know how hard it is to break into the industry. I know it's important to seek out projects on your own, and I thought I had found one. A semi pro football league, in my area, is in desperate need of new logos. Some of the teams are even using logos of pro teams, but with different colors. I wanted to reach out to them, but on their web page they have a small ad/ link to the website for their 'graphic designer'. How much does he really do for the league? I'm not sure. So I ask you this: Is it inappropriate for me to contact this league and inquire about design even though they seem to have someone? I don't want to step on anyone's toes, but I would love to tackle a huge project like that. Thanks for the help! Hope I explained the situation well enough.

Agreed, if that guy is ripping off logos he isn't a graphic designer anyway and you wouldn't be stepping on toes. If you can supply them with better logos that's the other guys problem, go for it!

Denver Nuggets Kansas City Chiefs Tampa Bay Rays 

Colorado Buffaloes Purdue Boilermakers Florida Gators

I'll reiterate the previous posts by saying, why not ask? Maybe even mock up a few concepts (with your watermark or something to prevent them from just stealing). For all you know, they'll realize that their "designer" is a lazy P.O.S. and maybe ask you to come on board instead.

bufg.png

Speaking as someone involved in minor league and indoor football, I'll say good luck. These teams aren't often able to field teams that look uniform, and are incredibly unlikely to spend money on a graphic design package. I wish you well, but don't hold your breath.

It's where I sit.

Archived