Baltimore Orioles primary logo | New version

Go Red Sox!

I have never really been a fan of the current Baltimore Orioles primary logo. I have always found the rendition of the bird to be too detailed and kind of outdated. Since the club decided to ditch the rather realistic bird from caps, helmets and uniforms a couple of years ago, I began wondering if the O's shouldn't completely get rid of this very (superfluous) bird in their primary mark in order to bring back the cartoonish, far more popular Oriole.

I chose a roundel for two reasons: Firstly, it has always been quite popular in MLB. Secondly, because it's a good way to integrate the cartoonish Oriole. I just slightly revised the Oriole's head.

I chose a non-serif typeface, Berthold Akzidenz Bold Extended, that has much in common with the one the club has used during the 60's to mid 80's for secondary logos.

Like mentioned before, I didn't change a lot. Because I think the Orioles – if they were deciding to get a new primary mark – probably would have done it in almost the same manner: Combining various elements of already existing logos.

Orioles%20primary%20logo2_zpssuqgi4pz.pn

Never argue with an idiot! They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.––George Carlin

This is terrific. Always been a fan of the smiling cartoon bird. Harkens back to the Brooks Robinson/Jim Palmer teams. I wonder if the bird would jump a little more if the inner circle was white.

The bird does indeed jump a little more with a white inner circle, but I think to the disadvantage of homogeneity.

Orioles%20primary%20logo_zpsfwivuici.png

Never argue with an idiot! They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.––George Carlin

This is terrific. Always been a fan of the smiling cartoon bird. Harkens back to the Brooks Robinson/Jim Palmer teams. I wonder if the bird would jump a little more if the inner circle was white.

The bird does indeed jump a little more with a white inner circle, but I think to the disadvantage of homogeneity.

Orioles%20primary%20logo_zpsfwivuici.png

What if you kept the outline of that circle orange, but filled it in white, so the bird head was on a white background instead of black?

Thanks for your comments!

Here is the logo with a white background. I already tried that out yesterday before starting this thread. I think it looks good, but I still prefer the draft with the black background.

Orioles%20primary%20logo%20white%20backg

I agree.. After seeing it, it really disconnects the head head from the roundel, almost like they're two different elements.. I wouldn't mind the head being centered more, but I don't want it to be smaller.. Overall, I love the concept

It's actually really nice for a roundel. That being said, I agree with Big Red in that you should try and make a full bodied Oriole like what they had in the 80's. That would be really nice.

I probably will do that someday, but not in the near future. Maybe a complete rebrand, but I don't know yet.

Make the head smaller so that the cap doesn't bleed into the circle and you have yourself a great logo.

I tried that yesterday and it just doesn't look good at all. Then the bird's head has to be placed totally off-center and appears unimposing due to its rather small size.

How about a bigger head with an orange background?

Then the bird would need to get an extra outline because it already got a thick orange outline. This would look pretty forced. The cap's brim would also be in the way. Way too much. Right now I think it's a nice little gimmick, giving the logo an extra comic-like look.

Great logo !

I also prefer the first version of the logo, it looks better than the "white inner circle" version or the "white background" in my opinion !

And the full-bodied bird logo is a very good idea ! :)

Thanks! The full-bodied bird really is an inspiring idea.

I agree.. After seeing it, it really disconnects the head head from the roundel, almost like they're two different elements.. I wouldn't mind the head being centered more, but I don't want it to be smaller.. Overall, I love the concept

Exactly.

I just can't center the little guy's head anymore because the brim would come too close to the text.

Archived