OKC Thunder (updated 07/26/16)

j'villejags

Here's another OKC concept for you guys. Sorry, I have seen a few on here lately and thought about holding off on posting this. I think it's because of the thread about OKC being due for a rebrand on the main board. At least that was the thread that made me want to put my spin on it.

Oklahoma actually has an pretty unique history despite being considered a flyover state. I based the side pattern on some traditional Native American patterns you might see around the state.

I have never cared for the color scheme for OKC. I went with an electric blue, electric yellow, and a stormy gray for the colors.

For the wordmark, I just wanted to come up with something new and a bit different. I don't like the way Oklahoma City fits on a jersey. I included a barb (for lack of a better word) on the side of the O with the intention of adding a bit of a western feel. It actually forms a triangle with the stem of the K, which wasn't intentional. The arm and leg of the K are meant to double as a lightning bolt and it's repeated in the pattern.

Overall, these are pretty loud but that's what I was going for. I had Russell Westbrook in mind. :P

Home

okcthunder1.png

Away

okcthunder2.png

Home Alternate

okcthunder3.png

Away Alternate

okcthunder4.png

Thoughts? C&C always welcome.

My NFL concept series (in progress) --ATL, CLE, NE, WAS done. AZ updated 04/21/23.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Holy cow, you've really hit upon something here. The Indian pattern is a great idea for the former Indian Territory. I like the color scheme, too. Good work!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I love when creative native patterns are used. I love the away blue alternates. Those colors would be a breath of fresh air in todays NBA. Love the electric yellow ones too, not feeling the black uniform. Would go with a THUNDER wordmark on the home uniform. Great job overall!

I don't know that I love the native pattern, but the colours and the OKC word mark are beautiful. Love that OKC!

Thanks! Yeah, the pattern is pretty bold for professional standards and would probably take some getting used to for most people. I can see why some wouldn't care for it but I wanted to try to create something unique to a sports uniform.

Holy cow, you've really hit upon something here. The Indian pattern is a great idea for the former Indian Territory. I like the color scheme, too. Good work!

Thanks Admiral! I appreciate that. As a former Oklahoman and Thunder fan, I liked the idea behind the colors and the pattern. I had initially planned on only using the pattern for the dark gray uniform as an alternate. The others were going to have more traditional side panels but I liked it well enough to use it on all of them.

Can you change the color of the electric yellow to orange like their current colors? I feel like the yellow is too bright, but the design overall is pretty sick.

Thanks, I might try it out later on but I intentionally dropped the orange. The basis behind this concept was that I wanted to work with the chosen color scheme. I just really like the idea of OKC having "stormy" colors -- representing lightning, clouds, and rain.

I've always found it to be a little odd that the team's colors are supposed to represent a sunset and not a thunderstorm. They also had some marketing speak about the red-orange being a perfect balance of Sooner Crimson and Cowboy Orange.

I would center the number on the front of the jerseys. I feel that the off-centered numbers make the jerseys feel unbalanced.

Fair point. I usually am strict about maintaining symmetry in my designs but wanted to try something a little different this time. I think I'll revert back and center the numbers though.

I love when creative native patterns are used. I love the away blue alternates. Those colors would be a breath of fresh air in todays NBA. Love the electric yellow ones too, not feeling the black uniform. Would go with a THUNDER wordmark on the home uniform. Great job overall!

Thanks! Yeah, the black ("storm gray" ;)) is actually my favorite! I did experiment with a "Thunder" wordmark but wasn't happy with it. I'll keep working on it and will probably use it on the home sets. I also might try coming up with an "Oklahoma City" wordmark for the roads. I'll probably leave the "OKC" on the dark gray set though.

My NFL concept series (in progress) --ATL, CLE, NE, WAS done. AZ updated 04/21/23.

Well done. The colors and pattern are good stuff, but that OKC is just not doin it for me. You're trying too hard to get the lightning bolt in and the whole mark is very unbalanced to the left with the spur on the 'O' and no treatment to the 'C'. You're on the right track tho...keep pushin on.

I love everything about it! Huge Thunder fan and i definitely approve of it all even the tribal pattern because i love the unique identity that it brings. My only criticism is that I'd like to see some jerseys with the "THUNDER" scripting instead of all "OKC" but other than that I am in love with this concept. A++

Having two electric colors might be a little too much. It doesn't look bad--I do actually like the combo--It just doesn't seem terribly realistic for the NBA. College maybe.

And I would agree with Conrad on the monogram. The lightning bolt does not come through for me.

"Type something, will ya? We're paying for this stuff." - Peter Venkman
Complete: Stateside Soccer Federation | Complete: World Football Club Alliance | Stalled: Roller Hockey International Redux | Stalled: MLB & Soccer Crossover

Colors are great but the side panels are a bit too busy for me even though it looks like a storm cloud!! I still like where you are headed with the Native Americans influence and design. A huge plus over their current unis anyday!

shado_logo.gif

Every cell in my brain is telling me to dislike this, but I can't. Somehow it works. I think it's a case of the final product being greater than the sum of the parts. Very nice, and original, work.

And I LOVE the colors. Wouldn't touch them.

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

Archived