Bill Simmons leaving ESPN

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I never liked Simmon. He wasn't genuine. Smith, Bayless, Broussard, an Berman are the core of that network.

Yes, and that's why ESPN is such a waste of a channel.

You don't like Smith and Bayless? They bring energy to the network! I DVR First Take EVERY day, because you know you will get the truth on all the stories in sports.

I want championships!

Simmons getting canned during the NBA playoffs is especially cruel...to me.

Can anyone recommend any good NBA podcasts? I've been trying the Starters, but I don't think it's a good fit.

Zach Lowe, I think, does a pretty good podcast, and sticking with the Grantland family, the Jalen Rose-David Jacoby podcast can be pretty entertaining too. There's also CBS Sports' "Eye on Basketball", which I listen to on occasion.

Simmons getting canned during the NBA playoffs is especially cruel...to me.

Can anyone recommend any good NBA podcasts? I've been trying the Starters, but I don't think it's a good fit.

Zach Lowe, I think, does a pretty good podcast, and sticking with the Grantland family, the Jalen Rose-David Jacoby podcast can be pretty entertaining too. There's also CBS Sports' "Eye on Basketball", which I listen to on occasion.

That is one of the few which are most encompassing.

ESPN's NBA Lockdown is daily during the playoffs and features at least one analyst from TV on it or a Truehoop writer.

Sheridan Hoops Radio on sheridanhoops.com has good information, but sometimes, it is just a replay of a radio interview which he or his staff has done.

• 5 weeks later...

HBO executives are wooing the outgoing ESPN columnist Bill Simmons and are hopeful they'll strike a deal soon, a source said Wednesday.

Other companies are also courting Simmons, but HBO has some unique advantages, including a reputation for giving a lot of creative latitude to its stars.

The source with knowledge of the talks said Simmons would gain both a television show on HBO and an online home for columns and other content.

The online column would be new territory for HBO. But it's a logical addition now that the cable service is seeking Internet subscribers for the first time.

The source spoke on condition of anonymity because the talks are sensitive. HBO is declining to comment.

http://money.cnn.com/2015/06/17/media/bill-simmons-hbo/index.html

Worth mentioning HBO is a subsidiary of Time Warner, who is also the parent company of TNT (NBA games/coverage). CNN is also a subsidiary of Time Warner.

Seems like a pretty good fit for a guy who wants creative freedom. Hopefully he can poach some of the talent he cultivated over at Grantland and 30 for 30.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Simmons is back with the Bill Simmons Podcast. First episode is NFL picks with Cousin Sal...preceded by SO MUCH Pats smarm. He's been holding it in for three months and he let it all out.

Anyway, good to listen their weekly picks again because it's a great NFL podcast, Pats stuff notwithstanding. Also, they get to rip on ESPN which is always fun.

With Simmons off the air, my only option had been Barnwell/Mays, which is generally pretty good, but one gets the feeling they're not into it like they've been. Especially with the Draft Kings nonsense this year; it's too much DFS.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Simmons is back with the Bill Simmons Podcast. First episode is NFL picks with Cousin Sal...preceded by SO MUCH Pats smarm. He's been holding it in for three months and he let it all out.

Anyway, good to listen their weekly picks again because it's a great NFL podcast, Pats stuff notwithstanding. Also, they get to rip on ESPN which is always fun.

Yeah, takes a lot of courage now.

I couldn't get through it; his smarm levels are now off the chart.

In fairness, Simmons did a lot of ripping on ESPN and the NFL while he was there. That's why he was fired.

I'm looking forward to ep 2 and the start of the NBA season. He has to dial it down on the Pats though.

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Exciting! I bet Zach Lowe, for sure. Maybe Mays and Barnwell, though they're not TV guys (but Mays would like to be).

Don't know the fourth. Charles Pierce is gone? Or am I confusing him with Wesley Morris (who is with the NY Times now).

Once whoever the four are leave, you can probably just stick a fork in Grantland.

Exciting! I bet Zach Lowe, for sure. Maybe Mays and Barnwell, though they're not TV guys (but Mays would like to be).

Don't know the fourth. Charles Pierce is gone? Or am I confusing him with Wesley Morris (who is with the NY Times now).

Once whoever the four are leave, you can probably just stick a fork in Grantland.

Plus with Mad Men gone I don't need to check in every week for the Power Rankings and the Don Draper Fingerbang Threat Level.

VmWIn6B.png

I doubt it is four sports people. Since he'll have an HBO show, also think the Pop Culture side: Rembert Browne, Molly Lambert and possibly Juliet Litman (she's fantastic on all Grantland podcasts).

Jalen and Jacoby cannot leave as they just got the ESPN LA drive time radio gig, thus their podcast just turned radio.

Archived