76ers new logo(s) and uniforms

ScubaSteve

I agree with some others on the Iverson set. I think it worked. Maybe it was the turn of the millennium-ness of it, how it was new and different at a time the Sixers were being singlehandedly dragged to the Finals by an unconventional superstar. I don't know. They were pretty good in a vacuum, as were Iverson's signature Reebok shoes "Answer I." It was symbolic of that Sixers era, and it was better than other looks which symbolized new eras, such as the Jazz or Sonics of the late '90s.

That being said, they were inappropriate for the franchise. Just as it's hard to imagine Iverson in a Dr. J era Sixers set, it's hard to imagine any non-00's Sixers in the black/red/gold/silver/blue set. So it's fine that the Sixers wore them. They should wear throwbacks every 5 or 10 years to celebrate Iverson's era. But they need to move on. No recoloring or brining that set back in any form.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

• Replies 534
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with some others on the Iverson set. I think it worked. Maybe it was the turn of the millennium-ness of it, how it was new and different at a time the Sixers were being singlehandedly dragged to the Finals by an unconventional superstar. I don't know. They were pretty good in a vacuum, as were Iverson's signature Reebok shoes "Answer I." It was symbolic of that Sixers era, and it was better than other looks which symbolized new eras, such as the Jazz or Sonics of the late '90s.

That being said, they were inappropriate for the franchise. Just as it's hard to imagine Iverson in a Dr. J era Sixers set, it's hard to imagine any non-00's Sixers in the black/red/gold/silver/blue set. So it's fine that the Sixers wore them. They should wear throwbacks every 5 or 10 years to celebrate Iverson's era. But they need to move on. No recoloring or brining that set back in any form.

Yeah.

Going backwards to previous sets or "previous-inspired" sets works when a team is going back to the look that made them them. Astros blue/orange, Sabres, Blue Jays, etc. These teams went back to their roots and in so doing eliminated any confusion about their identities. If the Sixers went back to this they'd be creating confusion. The Sixers are not exactly the Celtics when it comes to uniform tradition, but they've been R/W/B at all times aside from the Iverson era. That's where they need to stay.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

The Iverson era unis are one of my favourites from NBA history. But before they changed the script and made the shoulders wider.

6108_2ai.jpg

Exactly, these are amazing before the shoulder change and making the wordmark black. I loved the home floor too, well, the colors at least. I could do without the flying ball all over the court. I would have been happy if they just updated that wordmark to be more modern and simple and made the colors more appropriate for a team named the 76ers. As much as i loved the colors for Iverson, it just wasn't right for the team.

I still love the versions you did Berlin Wall! Your versions with a modernized wordmark and a red alternate based on Iversons rookie sets would have been great!

kd0hll.jpg

I wonder if the things we've seen this season using two tones of wood is a trend toward a modernized version of 90s art on the basketball court. Houston's rocket lifting off at center court. Sixers flying balls. The Cavs with confetti? Haha. The Hornets wild look. Someone get pepman33! :)

I wish I could understand what RC was saying in this video, might give us some clues:

https://twitter.com/Sixers/status/610813411664867329

My subtitles:

"Them things gonna be nice next year on us! A All-Star feel. I like that. Of course, blue -- that's my favorite color. I like how it brings back the old feel of -- you know back in the day with Dr. J and them -- how they wore them."

:)

3b6e72a63df121d316f9d46ef225aff7.1000x10

drj1980x1100_d0bcszil_388gk0ed.jpg

harvey-catchings-683x1024.jpg

My NFL concept series (in progress) --ATL, CLE, NE, WAS done. AZ updated 04/21/23.

I wish I could understand what RC was saying in this video, might give us some clues:

My subtitles:

"Them things gonna be nice next year on us! A All-Star feel. I like that. Of course, blue -- that's my favorite color. I like how it brings back the old feel of -- you know back in the day with Dr. J and them -- how they wore them."

I've said it before and I'll say it again: nobody looked "cooler" playin' ball than Dr J.

My subtitles:

I've said it before and I'll say it again: nobody looked "cooler" playin' ball than Dr J.

TRUE,SO TRUE

My subtitles:

harvey-catchings-683x1024.jpg

Believe it or not, this and the AI set are the only Sixers sets that I really like, I'd love to see a creative combination of the two.

Tradition is the foundation of innovation, and not the enemy.

Archived