76ers new logo(s) and uniforms

ScubaSteve

• Replies 534
  • Created
  • Last Reply

outlines on the word mark and numbers would add an inconsistency between them and the stripes, unless there was a double outline which would certainly be too much.

As it is, the "plain-ness" of the letters / numbers actually seems to complement and accentuate the stripes and balance the whole thing out. Your eyes are drawn to the stars - they're the (*sigh*) star of the uniform. No need for multiple "fancy" elements competing for attention. I fee he same way about football uniforms like the steelers, old Browns, and many of the Bills concepts that use single color numbers which imo make the (albeit shrinking) stripes seem bolder.

On the other hand, outlines are needed on the red, as the white doesn't seem to (*double sigh*) pop off the red. I'd rather have seen outlines on that one, even if it's inconsistent - or better yet, drop the stars all together from that one.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

These are about as "9 out of 10" as it gets.

The white one is gorgeousss, but would be improved with "Sixers" on front.

The other two are solid but need outlines, the uniform color dominates each set (blue, red respectively).

Edit: i do like the 7-6 stars, but execution could've been better. I liked the idea mentioned in an earlier post (including the logo to break up the awkward spacing).

| BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

Why are there 4 stars on one side and 3 on the other? Just saw and and it can't be un-seen. Bothers the crap out of me.

A pretty creative design trick...if you include the shorts, it's 7 stars on the player's right and 6 on the left, so it can be read as 76. Also, from another angle, there are 7 on the jersey and 6 on the shorts, so it reads 76 from top-to-bottom.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

outlines on the word mark and numbers would add an inconsistency between them and the stripes, unless there was a double outline which would certainly be too much.

As it is, the "plain-ness" of the letters / numbers actually seems to complement and accentuate the stripes and balance the whole thing out. Your eyes are drawn to the stars - they're the (*sigh*) star of the uniform. No need for multiple "fancy" elements competing for attention. I fee he same way about football uniforms like the steelers, old Browns, and many of the Bills concepts that use single color numbers which imo make the (albeit shrinking) stripes seem bolder.

On the other hand, outlines are needed on the red, as the white doesn't seem to (*double sigh*) pop off the red. I'd rather have seen outlines on that one, even if it's inconsistent - or better yet, drop the stars all together from that one.

Here's why I disagree. The wordmark and numbers are the focus of the jersey, not the side panels. They should take preference in terms of attention, with the stripes accentuating them. They need to do whatever it takes to make the chest look as good as possible and then worry about the stripes. Also, they don't need to match the side panels to the numbers. In fact, like with many football uniforms such as the Bears, it's better when the stripes don't match the numbers. However, if we were going to get hung up over one element being blue outlined in red while another was blue outlined in white and red, they could easily fix that by making the side panel on each the ouline color of the numbers. That would leave the blue and white jerseys with red side panels, which is probably the least they could do considering the franchise had red as its primary color for almost all of its history.

But just as big a problem is the awful, t-shirt shop font they use. It makes these look much worse. Put a solid block font on them and it looks like they intended to make them simplistic. As is, it looks like someone got a hold of a blank jersey at Ross and took it to a local screenprint shop to have them put a team name and number on it.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Here's why I disagree. The wordmark and numbers are the focus of the jersey, not the side panels. They should take preference in terms of attention, with the stripes accentuating them. They need to do whatever it takes to make the chest look as good as possible and then worry about the stripes. Also, they don't need to match the side panels to the numbers. In fact, like with many football uniforms such as the Bears, it's better when the stripes don't match the numbers. However, if we were going to get hung up over one element being blue outlined in red while another was blue outlined in white and red, they could easily fix that by making the side panel on each the ouline color of the numbers. That would leave the blue and white jerseys with red side panels, which is probably the least they could do considering the franchise had red as its primary color for almost all of its history.

But just as big a problem is the awful, t-shirt shop font they use. It makes these look much worse. Put a solid block font on them and it looks like they intended to make them simplistic. As is, it looks like someone got a hold of a blank jersey at Ross and took it to a local screenprint shop to have them put a team name and number on it.

I don't think the wordmark and numbers have to be the focal point of the uniform, even if they're front and center. However, in this case, I think that the contrast of simple and fancy actually creates a stronger look for them (I'll concede though that the number font is very weak and should be replaced with a true block.) It's kind of reminiscent of the times when the letters and numbers were really just for identification and not style, and the rest of the uniform is what was really unique between teams (for example, there's not many distinguishing attributes to the Celtics uniform except the unique color and maybe when they had the shamrocks.) I really think that the combo of simple and styled elements really work to accentuate each other, and for the red and blue uniforms, the one-color letters and numbers was absolutely the way to go.

There are certainly ways that they could have worked in an outline and still had what would to me be a good uniform. I don't think that everything needs to be consistent, but when two pieces (trim and stripes) are and one isn't, the one that's not could actually clash with the rest.

They could have done the outline, and then simplified the sides to include only stars (which I think may actually have looked pretty nice), or just gotten rid of the first outline and have only one outline around the panels. That's still a very nice uniform, and gets you the outlines.

There are uniforms with outlines that look good, and uniforms without outlines that look good. I think that too often, outlines are looked at as a requirement when they're not needed. The current Bills uniform is an example. The outlines are fine, but I think it's a much stronger look with single-color numbers to contrast with all the sleeve stripes.

Actually, let's just look at the uniforms these replaced. I despised those, even though they're not that much different than the new ones. Those really needed outlines or something else. Even if just on the letters, and then make the number the outline color (so on the old white, outline the wordmark in red, then keep the red number, and on the blue, make the wordmark red outlined with white, and keep the white number.)

I don't have a rule, and I don't prefer one way more than the other - it's all case-by-case. And in this case, I think they made the right call (on 2 of the 3).

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

They should've just brought back the 1978-1991 uniforms. Those were the best uniforms they've ever worn IMO.

Teams aren't allowed to that, as it would hurt Hardwood Classic sales. That's why the Knicks current uniforms have cutoff trim and a solid blue waistband.

I don't really have anything new to add regarding the unis. Overall, love the look. Would like "Sixers" on the home, better spaced stars, and consistent side panels. Maybe a different number font, but the one they chose doesn't really bother me. 8.5/10

They should've just brought back the 1978-1991 uniforms. Those were the best uniforms they've ever worn IMO.

Teams aren't allowed to that, as it would hurt Hardwood Classic sales. That's why the Knicks current uniforms have cutoff trim and a solid blue waistband.

I don't really have anything new to add regarding the unis. Overall, love the look. Would like "Sixers" on the home, better spaced stars, and consistent side panels. Maybe a different number font, but the one they chose doesn't really bother me. 8.5/10

The NBA has so many stupid rules for their esthetics. That teams have to put their city - and team names into the primary logo and that teams aren't allowed to bring back exact copies of old logos and / or uniforms are propably the worst. I mean bringing back some older stuff is why the NHL looks so good nowadays.

I think it wouldn't even effect the Hardwood sales so much.

I'm a simple person, I have a pixelated David Beckham as profile photo since 2010.

The knicks current uniforms have silver trim also

I really like these, an almost perfect look with a few flaws. Obviously Sixers should be on the home, and I would prefer outlined wordmarks. The stars could have better spaing between them. The red and home should have blue-white-red trim on the collar, like the 1983 look. And I don't understand the reason to have the minuscule difference between the red shorts aond the other ones. Either make the red shorts the same or Change the design of the red uni more drastically

07Giants.pngnyy.png

Not a huge fan of the word Phila over Sixers but these are a huge upgrade over our current jerseys...Can't wait to get D'Angelo Russell's jersey if we pick him. Either him or Hezonja is who I want come Wednesday.

Just wondering, but why does everyone want SIXERS on the home jersey instead of PHILA? To turn it into more of a throwback? Gotta distinguish a new look enough to represent its own era somehow.

For some reason everybody gets all up in arms because the home jersey shouldn't say the city name as it's redundant as if it's 1900 and people don't know who's playing without the wordmark showing it...

IMO putting 'Phila' on the home and road uniforms was the right call. It offers some nice nostalgia, sure, but the uniforms already feature the partial primary logo on the shorts, which says '76ers', and the stars in the side panels essentially read '76'. Now I do like how they put 'Sixers' on the red alternate, but I would have liked if they just made the red jersey more of an update of the Dr. J-era jersey. Overall, even considering the minor flaws that the uniforms hold, they are a huge upgrade over their now previous set.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

I don't think the NBA's rules lead to the Knicks' single color waistband. To my knowledge, they don't sell throwback shorts. But even if they did, those great Knicks' unis of the '80s had trim running up the sides, and that would probably be a big enough difference from the current shorts. But the NBA's rules very well might be why the Knicks moved to the awful compressed NEW YORK with this set. I think the waistband is just Adidas being lazy and the Knicks not caring. The cutoff trim? That's all Adidas, as they've done it with college teams. I'd be shocked if Niked didn't either give the Knicks normal trim or come up with their own spin on it.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Archived