76ers new logo(s) and uniforms

ScubaSteve

Why did they ever confine the original basketball to the unnecessary and obtrusive square with the silver bevel anyways?

http://www.sportslogos.net/teams/list_by_league/6/National_Basketball_Association/NBA/logos/

The Bucks' beer label logo looks like it doesn't belong, as I new it would.

Wow. I didn't notice it until now. I will start by saying that the NBA's logos are mostly bad. But look at all the vibrant colors and powerful lines. Then you have the wispy little crap Bucks logo in muted colors. I glossed over this before I even noticed their logo. It's far from bold.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

• Replies 534
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes; most are bad. I think the having to have city/team name in the primary does a huge disservice.

But yeah, the Bucks really does stand out; or rather the opposite. It is the one that does not fit.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

If ain't broke, don't fix it. That's all I wanna say.

It was broke. So they fixed it.

I really like that they brought back the 76 surrounded by stars as a secondary logo, but it's odd in this day and age to have a logo with shapes that are "floating" (not contained in some other shape). I wonder if it'll be used on a white patch in all applications, or if there's different combos for use on different backgrounds.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Here are the logo's in color from their website.

logos-1500_0.png?itok=zBKzsIDg

Uniforms to be revealed June 18th

NEW UNIFORMS WILL BE UNVEILED AT PUBLIC EVENT ATTENDED BY SIXERS LEGENDS

AND CURRENT PLAYERS ON JUNE 18 AT THE WELLS FARGO CENTER

The primary, partial primary, and 76 secondary all make sense. Its cohesive. I would even go so far as saying I get the baller ben logo... you need something to merchandise. The partial logo (circle of stars) is terrible. I get that its just another version of the basic 76ers with stars... but it doesn't do anything. It just sits there. Oh here are a bunch of stars. Done.

Once again, I think the biggest downfall is the colors. Another R/W/B team in major pro sports and the NBA. If any team should have the R/W/B collar pallet, it would be the 76ers... but it just is so discouraging to see the lack of creativity/originality.

I hope no one else asked this, but any reason for the six stars on the bottom banner of the logo?

It looks like the stars in the banner/roundel just line up with the stars on the flag/in the secondary logo (i.e., 6 stars take up about the same proportion of the circle in both instances). I don't think there is any particular meaning.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Upgrade. And I love dribblin' Ben Franklin. I'd have made that the centerpiece of my roundel (ala the Celtics' leprechaun or the Raptors' drakeasaurous) and used that as the primary. The NBA's logos are in desperate need of some flavor.

I suspect we'll see more of what they're calling the partial secondary and the "primary" only exists because of the NBA's silly logo rules. This is why so many of the NBA's primary logos are garbage and why, logo speaking, they have the weakest of the big four. Too many stipulations put on designers to come up with iconic marks.

PvO6ZWJ.png

The primary, partial primary, and 76 secondary all make sense. Its cohesive. I would even go so far as saying I get the baller ben logo... you need something to merchandise. The partial logo (circle of stars) is terrible. I get that its just another version of the basic 76ers with stars... but it doesn't do anything. It just sits there. Oh here are a bunch of stars. Done.

Once again, I think the biggest downfall is the colors. Another R/W/B team in major pro sports and the NBA. If any team should have the R/W/B collar pallet, it would be the 76ers... but it just is so discouraging to see the lack of creativity/originality.

This isn't another R/W/B team and this isn't lacking creativity and originality. The 76ers have every right to blue and red and there's a good chance they use navy blue in their uniform. Of the Clippers, Pistons, Hawks, Wizards, and 76ers I'd say the 76ers have the most claim to blue and red.

That's 5 teams out of 30 and they all have mostly unique identifiers. It's much better than the turn of the century when the league had a purple epidemic.

PvO6ZWJ.png

This isn't another R/W/B team and this isn't lacking creativity and originality. The 76ers have every right to blue and red and there's a good chance they use navy blue in their uniform. Of the Clippers, Pistons, Hawks, Wizards, and 76ers I'd say the 76ers have the most claim to blue and red.

That's 5 teams out of 30 and they all have mostly unique identifiers. It's much better than the turn of the century when the league had a purple epidemic.

I literally said the same exact thing you said. I agree if any team should have it, it should be the 76ers. I just have a constant struggle with the basic R/W/B color pallet that runs rampant over the major sports in America.

But they're not another RWB team. They're staying a RWB team, and they've always been such, even when they were black, gold and silver. You can't judge the 76ers just because other teams use the same colors they've been using for 60 something years. And it's the same thing in baseball. Is it frustrating that so many teams use blue? Mildly. But that doesn't mean we should do crap like put the Indians in an awful brown/red combo or make the Twins wear purple when both teams have been in their current colors for about a century. All it means is we should stop new teams from blanding out and going navy when they clearly should be wearing something else. I'm looking at you, Padres. Also, see Atlanta Hawks.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I literally said the same exact thing you said. I agree if any team should have it, it should be the 76ers. I just have a constant struggle with the basic R/W/B color pallet that runs rampant over the major sports in America.

I feel like the popularity of the color scheme in pro sports has to do with an attempt to drive merchandise sales. The colors all transfer over very well into clothing for fans. Red, white, and blue is a versatile color palette. They can pretty much match anything the fan wants to wear -- as if that makes their purchase somehow more justifiable. "I'll be able to wear this shirt all the time."

They probably sell better to casual fans as well since it's a more conservative look. And of course -- 'merica. If you don't like red, we have blue! Or even white if you're feeling completely neutral. Democrats and Republicans rejoice!

Just a theory.

My NFL concept series (in progress) --ATL, CLE, NE, WAS done. AZ updated 04/21/23.

Archived