76ers new logo(s) and uniforms

ScubaSteve

A circle of stars inside a semi-circle of stars? So superfluous. They could've put the word 'Basketball' in there to fill the space.

Why, so it could be an even bigger ripoff of the Nets?

sa3u750436kiqct0v5a9xw6uh.gif5995.gif

It already basically is a Nets "ripoff", so going a bit further doesn't make much difference in that aspect. Especially when that old Nets logo with the word 'Basketball' in it is no longer in use. Adding stars everywhere just for the sake of stars is a huge fetish of American sports branding, something that really annoys me. That's not mentioning the fact that there already is one circle of stars in the logo.

• Replies 534
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A circle of stars inside a semi-circle of stars? So superfluous. They could've put the word 'Basketball' in there to fill the space.

Why, so it could be an even bigger ripoff of the Nets?

sa3u750436kiqct0v5a9xw6uh.gif5995.gif

It already basically is a Nets "ripoff", so going a bit further doesn't make much difference in that aspect. Especially when that old Nets logo with the word 'Basketball' in it is no longer in use. Adding stars everywhere just for the sake of stars is a huge fetish of American sports branding, something that really annoys me. That's not mentioning the fact that there already is one circle of stars in the logo.

What? Nets ripoff? The Sixers have had the same basic logo since 1963. The Nets ripped off the Sixers! Good try though.....

I want Baller Ben everywhere.

Baller Ben is a phenomenal idea.

Ben Franklin was a boss.

If I was a guy in Philly I would dress up like Baller Ben for every game.

Ben-Franklin-the-office--28us-29-265646_

That's not the real Ben Franklin. I'm 99% sure!

I want Baller Ben everywhere.

Baller Ben is a phenomenal idea.

Ben Franklin was a boss.

If I was a guy in Philly I would dress up like Baller Ben for every game.

Ben-Franklin-the-office--28us-29-265646_

That's not the real Ben Franklin. I'm 99% sure!

Are you near sighted or far sighted?

It seems you either love the Ben Franklin logo or you hate it. I loved it and even bought a shirt with that on it last year when it debuted. Such a fun secondary logo.

I'm amazed at the amount of people who think it's brand new and wasn't released last year, but I guess not everyone are logo/uni nerds like us.

I hope no one else asked this, but any reason for the six stars on the bottom banner of the logo?

it's for SIXers.

Confirmed by the Sixers twitter responding to a fan who asked the same thing.

I don't like the baller Ben logo. I can deal with it being sold on t-shirts but I think it would look pretty minor-league anywhere on the floor or uniform. But then again, I don't like helmet-wearing porpoises, either.

The rest of the set is decent and I won't miss the big box one bit. A bit more red on the primary would look nice.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Official wordmarks for the unis...

CE48D12UgAAZotb.jpg

I have always hated shortening nicknames (Cavaliers to Cavs is the worst) but for some reason, as a huge 76ers fan in the late 1970's thru the mid 1980's, I didn't mind "Sixers." Not sure why...

Sixers works...Cavs and Mavs sound lazy uninspired, cutesy cat nicknames that are stupid.

and I've always hated that oddly shaped A in this Phila mark. It was on the back top of the shorts on the previous unis. Before, it was a rounded corner A, when the rest of it was block, at least here they've made it block. But still fairly fugly.

Also think they should have done something different with the wordmarks. Maybe still the same form, but different style/execution with the letters.

The logo marks are so round, playful...and then the block font doesn't really match.

CE48D12UgAAZotb.jpg

Sigh. It's dumb going with the team name on the road and city on the home. It's dumb and lazy going to single layer when they're supposedly inspired by jerseys which had outlines (and when outlines in general look better). It looks like this confirms that they'll keep with the recent trend of "combining" eras by taking the wrong elements from each era and wearing something worse than any of the supposed inspiring sets. At least Philly fans can take solace that these unis can't get any worse than what Iverson wore.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

CE48D12UgAAZotb.jpg

Are they different than current?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I have always hated shortening nicknames (Cavaliers to Cavs is the worst) but for some reason, as a huge 76ers fan in the late 1970's thru the mid 1980's, I didn't mind "Sixers." Not sure why...

I think you are burying the lead here. To me it's the shortening to "Phila" that is most maddening.

Back in the super-old days of the NBA, you had a few of these: "PHILA", "MPLS", (more?). I always thought it was a way to make the manufacturing easier...like they could not deal with more / smaller letters or something. That's probably not true, but it is how it strikes me.

Using "Phila" seems more "old" than "retro". I really, really hate this. I can deal with "Sixers", particularly since "Seventy Sixers" or "76ers" would look odd on a jersey.

Also of note, more separating of colors--a trend I hate. Outlines would be a big improvement. I hope the jerseys will find a way to actually use both red and blue. But the non-outlined wordmarks are discouraging.

Plus "Phila" at home?

"Sixers" is 4th on my list of problems. I think they nailed it right here:

I hope we don't start seeing more of this: CHI, MINN, DENV, etc.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

CE48D12UgAAZotb.jpg

Sigh. It's dumb going with the team name on the road and city on the home. It's dumb and lazy going to single layer when they're supposedly inspired by jerseys which had outlines (and when outlines in general look better). It looks like this confirms that they'll keep with the recent trend of "combining" eras by taking the wrong elements from each era and wearing something worse than any of the supposed inspiring sets. At least Philly fans can take solace that these unis can't get any worse than what Iverson wore.

I really liked the Iverson uniforms (the middle ones - the ones after the gold wordmark and before the side piping.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

It seems you either love the Ben Franklin logo or you hate it. I loved it and even bought a shirt with that on it last year when it debuted. Such a fun secondary logo.

I'm amazed at the amount of people who think it's brand new and wasn't released last year, but I guess not everyone are logo/uni nerds like us.

I hope no one else asked this, but any reason for the six stars on the bottom banner of the logo?

it's for SIXers.

Confirmed by the Sixers twitter responding to a fan who asked the same thing.

It would have been pretty rad to see them try to fit seventy stars in the top portion of the roundel. If Nike had designed the logo, the 6 stars would have been rotated 70 degrees to the left to honor Ben Franklin.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

CE48D12UgAAZotb.jpg

I think you are burying the lead here. To me it's the shortening to "Phila" that is most maddening.

Back in the super-old days of the NBA, you had a few of these: "PHILA", "MPLS", (more?). I always thought it was a way to make the manufacturing easier...like they could not deal with more / smaller letters or something. That's probably not true, but it is how it strikes me.

Using "Phila" seems more "old" than "retro". I really, really hate this. I can deal with "Sixers", particularly since "Seventy Sixers" or "76ers" would look odd on a jersey.

Also of note, more separating of colors--a trend I hate. Outlines would be a big improvement. I hope the jerseys will find a way to actually use both red and blue. But the non-outlined wordmarks are discouraging.

Plus "Phila" at home?

"Sixers" is 4th on my list of problems. I think they nailed it right here:Act_Charles_Barkley.jpg

except PHILA is an actual abbreviation for the City's name with the post office, etc. because it's a long word. It's not some convenient shortening of an already short city name like Chicago or Denver as you have listed above. MPLS is the actual abbreviation for Minneapolis and at one time was actually on the Lakers' jerseys

They should totally adopt a gradient alternate uni with a HUGE Ballin' Ben splashed across the front, tons of stars and crap in the background. Make it loud as hell and embrace it, because the era we're entering of boring-ass arched wordmarks kind of sucks.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

CE48D12UgAAZotb.jpg

Plus "Phila" at home?

"Sixers" is 4th on my list of problems. I think they nailed it right here:Act_Charles_Barkley.jpg

except PHILA is an actual abbreviation for the City's name with the post office, etc. because it's a long word. It's not some convenient shortening of an already short city name like Chicago or Denver as you have listed above. MPLS is the actual abbreviation for Minneapolis and at one time was actually on the Lakers' jerseys

When I type my address for deliveries I usually type "Phila, PA". Many others do the same.

Archived