NFL Anti-Thread: Sponsored by FanKings

Cosmic

Are we watching the same game? Most games come down to the wire, the games are exciting, and it's fun following teams. What more could you want?

A game not decided by referees blundering their way through the rule book.

A game where everyone can agree on a simple definition of what a "catch" is.

Those two to start with. And that's not even getting into the off-field stuff...

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

CBS only simulcasts the first half of the Thursday slate, right? Good idea to put this one off.

I still don't like the yearlong Thursday night thing. It should just be Thanksgiving to the end. That would still be seven weeks of games. That's not bad. That's almost half.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Entering tomorrow, the Titans and Jags have a combined 5 wins, which is bad. However, last year in the Week 16 Thursday night game, those teams had combined for 4 wins entering it. The Titans had used Clipboard Jesus Charlie Whitehurst at QB last year.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

The game will still get better ratings than Game 5 of the World Series because Steve in Accounts Payable has Blake Bortles on his fantasy team. Just enter promo code LIFE IS A CRUEL AND MEANINGLESS CHARADE THAT EXISTS ONLY TO DEMEAN US ALL

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

CBS only simulcasts the first half of the Thursday slate, right? Good idea to put this one off.

I still don't like the yearlong Thursday night thing. It should just be Thanksgiving to the end. That would still be seven weeks of games. That's not bad. That's almost half.

Well, the NFL realized there's a market for folks watching football on Thursday nights when they saw the college game have good ratings. Couple that with having a network that could use some viewership...there you go.

While I agree on reducing the number of Thursday games, I do like how every team is on a level playing ground in that every team has to play one of these Thursday games (and the Week 1 Thursday game doesn't count). Plus, the road team for the Thursday game gets the short week burdened less by playing at home the week before as well as playing a division game (which usually equals to less travel). And on the back end of things, you get a mini-bye of sorts. So it all works out in the end.

As an aside, count me on the side of not liking Cam Newton dancing around...but only at the Georgia Dome. Seen too much of that, especially last year's Week 17 disaster. Other than that, I'm cool with his celebrating.

Are we watching the same game? Most games come down to the wire, the games are exciting, and it's fun following teams. What more could you want?

Those two to start with. And that's not even getting into the off-field stuff...

Which is very few?

Most NFL fans hate these games. They're a complete nuisance. The best NFL scheduling days that I can recall were the late-season Saturday games that were played for several years up through 2005. Those were the best. I'll never understand why the NFL did away with them.

You've never been an out-of-market fan with financial means that are too limited to afford Sunday Ticket.

Believe me, if you were, your tune on the Thursday night games would change.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Most NFL fans hate these games. They're a complete nuisance. The best NFL scheduling days that I can recall were the late-season Saturday games that were played for several years up through 2005. Those were the best. I'll never understand why the NFL did away with them.

You've never been an out-of-market fan with financial means that are too limited to afford Sunday Ticket.

Rams; I am not following this...how would the Thursday games benefit someone without Sunday Ticket? (I don't have it due to lack of interest; no idea how cost-prohibitive it is). By thinning out the Sunday schedule?

Anyhow, looking at the quoted quoted post, why are the Thursday games a nuisance? They are only a nuisance if someone feels that they do not have the choice but to watch their TV any time an NFL game is being played. My solution for tonight's less-than-interesting Jags/Titans clash is not to watch it. I don't find that to be a nuisance at all.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Rams; I am not following this...how would the Thursday games benefit someone without Sunday Ticket? (I don't have it due to lack of interest; no idea how cost-prohibitive it is). By thinning out the Sunday schedule?

Anyhow, looking at the quoted quoted post, why are the Thursday games a nuisance? They are only a nuisance if someone feels that they do not have the choice but to watch their TV any time an NFL game is being played. My solution for tonight's less-than-interesting Jags/Titans clash is not to watch it. I don't find that to be a nuisance at all.

If you want to watch one specific team on TV in that situation, national prime time games are, quite bluntly, a godsend.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Which is very few?

I would argue otherwise.

The game will still get better ratings than Game 5 of the World Series because Steve in Accounts Payable has Blake Bortles on his fantasy team.

I'm telling you, that whole department has gone to hell since Lindsey left.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/ct-jay-cutler-costly-daily-fantasy-20k-new-york-20151118-story.html

Relevant.

Bears quarterback Jay Cutler is cited in New York's attorney general's filing asking a state court to stop daily fantasy sports businesses from taking entries from New York residents.

In a motion for preliminary injunction on Tuesday, Attorney General Eric Schneiderman calls DFS sites such as FanDuel and DraftKings "nothing more than a rebranding of sports betting" and "plainly illegal," and cites how a kneel-down by Cutler during the Monday night game against the San Diego Chargers on Nov. 9 cost a daily fantasy contestant $20,000.

"As the game entered its final moments, the Chicago Bears were leading by a tight margin. In a common strategic move, Quarterback Jay Cutler took a knee to run out the clock and assure victory," Schneiderman writes in his motion. "This play cost the Bears one yard, and reduced Cutler’s total fantasy production by one-tenth of one point -- and reportedly cost one unlucky FanDuel player $20,000; he had apparently picked Cutler and the one-tenth of a point reduction spelled the difference between winning $50,000 in first place and $30,000 in second place. (By contrast, that same one-tenth of a point reduction was a lucky break for the DFS player who took first prize.)"

Schneiderman did not reveal the identity of the contestant in the motion.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Which is very few?

I would argue otherwise.

I very rarely see a call on the field and don't at least understand where the refs are coming from. I feel like people just have too much invested into their team to look at things objectively, so they just blame the refs. Maybe it's because I'm not too attached to the NFL, but with the exception of the disaster that were the replacement refs, the officiating isn't too bad. People need to realize that refs are humans and make mistakes. People lose sight of that I think.

Which is very few?
I would argue otherwise.
I very rarely see a call on the field and don't at least understand where the refs are coming from. I feel like people just have too much invested into their team to look at things objectively, so they just blame the refs. Maybe it's because I'm not too attached to the NFL, but with the exception of the disaster that were the replacement refs, the officiating isn't too bad. People need to realize that refs are humans and make mistakes. People lose sight of that I think.

Considering I've pointed out several times when these baseless calls have benefited my team and tainted the game, I'd say you're wrong. In fact, rooting for a bad team that often needs these kinds of calls to level the playing field, I probably notice them even more when they benefit "me". Lack of objectivity is not a factor - over-officiating is. Even broadcasters rip the officials for these bogus personal fouls and PIs.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Which is very few?
I would argue otherwise.

Considering I've pointed out several times when these baseless calls have benefited my team and tainted the game, I'd say you're wrong. In fact, rooting for a bad team that often needs these kinds of calls to level the playing field, I probably notice them even more when they benefit "me". Lack of objectivity is not a factor - over-officiating is. Even broadcasters rip the officials for these bogus personal fouls and PIs.

Idunno, I've never had an issue with this. Maybe I just figure they're enforcing the rules given, so it's generally fine.

Archived