NFL Anti-Thread: Sponsored by FanKings

Cosmic

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pilots concerned about the lights at Levi's Stadium as it sits within the flight path of San Jose Mineta Airport's runways.

From the story:

A months long NBC Bay Area investigation uncovered at least five other instances of pilots complaining about Levi’s lights. Those complaints were enough to prompt NASA to send two different safety alert bulletins to the FAA, San Jose Mineta International Airport and Santa Clara’s Stadium Authority about the problem.

In one written complaint, the pilot of a commercial 737 attempted to land at SJC on May, 2014 while the stadium operators performed tests on the scoreboard.

“This sign could be very easily mistaken for the PAPI for runway 12R under poor visibility conditions,” wrote the pilot, “leading an unsuspecting crew to mistakenly correct to the left while descending and subsequently put them on a collision course with the stadium itself.”

Raiders owner Mark Davis walked into the media room on Wednesday, ready to drive a stake through the gold paint story circulating the day before.

The Raiders didn’t paint the O.co Coliseum’s 50-yard line gold as the rest of the league did at their home venues, in honor of Super Bowl 50. The game’s golden anniversary will occur this winter at Levi’s Stadium in Santa Clara.

Oakland’s 50-yard line wasn’t white as some sort of passive protest. Davis made that perfectly clear, and said the gold markings would be present for the Raiders next home game, a Week 5 contest versus Denver.

"Nobody respects the Super Bowl more than the Raiders,” Davis said. “We had a little to do with the (AFL-NFL merger) and those types of things. We’ve played in 10 percent of the Super Bowls, and we hope to play in next year.”

Davis said he spoke with 49ers owner Jed York about stories that came out suggesting there was some hidden agenda behind it. Davis said it has everything to do with sharing a stadium with MLB’s Oakland Athletics.

The Raiders don’t paint end zones or logos on the field during baseball season, which coincided with the team’s first two home games. The A’s season will be done by the Raiders next home game, and all appropriate markings will be on the field.

“It’s unbelievable the ideas that people are throwing out there in terms of reasons why we’re doing it,” Davis said. “It’s just beyond me. I don’t normally talk about non-stories, but I wanted to clear this up.”

Raiders owner Mark Davis walked into the media room on Wednesday, ready to drive a stake through the gold paint story circulating the day before.

The Raiders didn’t paint the O.co Coliseum’s 50-yard line gold as the rest of the league did at their home venues, in honor of Super Bowl 50. The game’s golden anniversary will occur this winter at Levi’s Stadium in Santa Clara.

Oakland’s 50-yard line wasn’t white as some sort of passive protest. Davis made that perfectly clear, and said the gold markings would be present for the Raiders next home game, a Week 5 contest versus Denver.

"Nobody respects the Super Bowl more than the Raiders,” Davis said. “We had a little to do with the (AFL-NFL merger) and those types of things. We’ve played in 10 percent of the Super Bowls, and we hope to play in next year.”

Davis said he spoke with 49ers owner Jed York about stories that came out suggesting there was some hidden agenda behind it. Davis said it has everything to do with sharing a stadium with MLB’s Oakland Athletics.

The Raiders don’t paint end zones or logos on the field during baseball season, which coincided with the team’s first two home games. The A’s season will be done by the Raiders next home game, and all appropriate markings will be on the field.

“It’s unbelievable the ideas that people are throwing out there in terms of reasons why we’re doing it,” Davis said. “It’s just beyond me. I don’t normally talk about non-stories, but I wanted to clear this up.”

But they have to have field numbers. So what's the difference in having a gold painted 50 versus a white painted 50 as far as the Oakland Athletics using the same stadium goes? This doesn't sound right.

IUe6Hvh.png

Yeah, it sounds strange. They paint over the numbers and yardlines with green paint, right? I can't imagine gold paint would be much harder to paint over than white.

Also, the gold numbers look terrible. I think one team had a black outline on them, which made them passable. But just gold up against the grass looks awful. It looks like it was a mistake, like it's a primer or something and they have to paint white over it. It looked particularly awful in last night's game at Metlife. The gold numbers right by the gold logo at midfield - way too much.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I will place this here, but I think that I'm OK with this if he is clean and is able to turn his life around with the team's help. Just keep him in town and not on the road/campuses. No Kams, Esquire Lounge or Jupiter's when in Champaign.

Josh Brent hired by Cowboys in scouting department.

http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/nfl/dallas-cowboys/cowboys-corner-blog/article36408093.html

I will place this here, but I think that I'm OK with this if he is clean and is able to turn his life around with the team's help. Just keep him in town and not on the road/campuses. No Kams, Esquire Lounge or Jupiter's when in Champaign.

Never met anyone that's been to Esquire Lounge or Jupiter's...

Hi folks. Your board resident "Guy who lives in Champaign" here. Esquire Lounge is just kind of a place, and Jupiter's, at least the one outside of town (locally known as Jupiter's 2 or Jupiter's at the Crossing) is actually pretty delicious and a nice little bar. I think the OTHER Jupiter's is probably, and brace yourselves, a place.

* - "a place" defined therein as a rather unexceptional joint that serves rather unexceptional wares & deserves neither praise nor scorn

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

I know it's been about 17 seasons, but am I the only football fan fatigued by those disclaimers before and after each game?

I'm referring of course to those bumpers where they say "[Network] welcomes you to the following presentation of the National Football League," and "[Network] thanks you for watching this presentation of the National Football League."

It's like, "We get it!"

Maybe it's just me, but are those really necessary? They kinda feel like a waste of the networks' money, graphics and in the case of the copyright bumper in the second half, Earl Mann's golden pipes.

I know it's been about 17 seasons, but am I the only football fan fatigued by those disclaimers before and after each game?

I'm referring of course to those bumpers where they say "[Network] welcomes you to the following presentation of the National Football League," and "[Network] thanks you for watching this presentation of the National Football League."

It's like, "We get it!"

Maybe it's just me, but are those really necessary? They kinda feel like a waste of the networks' money, graphics and in the case of the copyright bumper in the second half, Earl Mann's golden pipes.

I read somewhere they do that to separate game broadcast from the pregame/postgame as "official" presentations of the league.

I think the NFL has a lot more control over the game broadcasts. For example, there are not sponsored ads (i.e. starting lineup presented by FanDuel), with the exception of halftime show.

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

Archived