What's the significance...

A thread for those with questions about why a logo or uniform looks the way it does.

My inspiration for this thread came while perusing through NBA logos, and coming across the Spurs logo from 1989-2002

What's the significance of the tri-color band? Why does it exist? Is there any rhyme or reason for it

e04ylwkfdofkr2ctlerjov26s.gif

90758391980.gif

only blurb I could find on that mentions:

From 1989-02, the Spurs incorporated a remix of “fiesta” colors — teal, pink and orange — into their logos and court paints but uniforms were still white at home and black on the road like they’ve always been.

Good idea for a thread.

As for the Spurs, I have no idea why that added the "fiesta colors."

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

It always seemed odd to me that the Spurs of that era had such a colorful primary logo, but had some very traditional, plain jerseys. The "fiesta" colors made it to warmups and shooting shirts, but never the jerseys. I like (and still do) the Spurs jerseys, but the contrast between the vibrant, colorful logo and jerseys was interesting.

Compare:

90-91H270Robinson.jpg

622x350.jpg

^Alvin Robertson modeling about the plainest NBA jersey you'll ever see. Almost looks like the regular jerseys were stolen and they had to come up with new ones in a pinch.

23t1cts.jpg

tumblr_lqqbu2IoJm1qay78vo1_1280.jpg

$_12.JPG?set_id=880000500F

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

I've always wondered why the Athletics have had elephant imagery.

jwrg5ev03kpa50eefaaxtm50g.png

Google works wonders.

Straight from the A's website.

1901 - In 1901 Connie Mack and his Philadelphia Athletics became one of the original founders of the American League. In 1902 New York Giants Manager John McGraw dismissed the A's with contempt, by calling them "The White Elephants." He meant to imply that Mack shouldn't be allowed to spend money without supervision. Well, Connie Mack took up the gauntlet and defiantly adopted the White Elephant as the team insignia.

bufg.png

Is this a thread for people who don't know what Google is?

That's probably what it will end up being, but there are some things that are hard to find, even on Google.

Fair enough. But sometimes rather than googling for answers a thread like this can get a little discussion going (see Sc49erfan post above for example). So this could be a little more fun than simply googling for answers. But yes, I'll agree that some obvious ones will come up in this thread.

And personally, I did google (admittedly not for very long) about my original question regarding the old Spurs logo and it wasn't too helpful

90758391980.gif

Fair enough. But sometimes rather than googling for answers a thread like this can get a little discussion going (see Sc49erfan post above for example). So this could be a little more fun than simply googling for answers. But yes, I'll agree that some obvious ones will come up in this thread.

And personally, I did google (admittedly not for very long) about my original question regarding the old Spurs logo and it wasn't too helpful

The first two questions, fiesta and A's elephant, can be found on Google in under a minute with a few simple searches.

I totally agree that threads generate discussion which is great but those should come from after Googling and finding the answers which are out there

Go A's!

So Google has replaced the need to have discussions?

Way to be an elitist jerk to someone asking a question.

$_12.JPG?set_id=880000500F

I love that warmup.

Here's a fun story about logos/mascots...

navy.gif

Legend has it that the inspiration for having a goat for a mascot comes from a young midshipman donning the skin of a beloved goat at halftime of a football game and parading around the sidelines. The first live goat debuted in 1893, and by 1914 Navy was on its sixth goat, which was mean enough to earn the nickname “Satan.” He was the only goat to escape a livestock quarantine that year, so that he could attend the Army-Navy game. But after Navy lost the game, an ad was placed for a new goat, specifically “the meanest and fiercest goat possible.” Bills were commonly targeted for kidnapping by other schools, and both Bill XVI and Bill XVII died of accidental poisoning from weed killer.

Bill the Goat:

bill-the-goat_original.jpg

US_Navy_000902-N-9848G-002_U.S._Naval_Ac

87Redskins.png

I am not saying Google is replacing discussion. I like discussion. That's why I come to message boards.

But what kind of impression does it give when the OP or any poster asks a question about something and the answer is right there online? I get the impression of laziness. I'm not accusing anyone of actually people lazy, but whenever this happens, that's the impression I get. A quick Google search most likely answers the question.

Now if the OP or any person who posts tries to find the answer first, then comes here for help when they come up empty, that's great. That's what discussion forums are about -- to discuss findings [found or not found], opinions or new information; not to be someone's Google search.

==

Back to the fiesta colors. I feel that such design can only go in the 90s. That decade is so full of bold, bright colors that a design like that works for the Spurs even though the rest of their on-court identity doesn't use any of it. But I am glad it's gone now. It would have just not worked if it lingered on into the 2000s

Go A's!

Archived