CrownCorvus Presents: Phoenix Suns Rebrand

SplashBoogie

I was planning to do an all roundel NBA concept thread since that's where we're headed anyways. With that in mind I lead trying to roundel the Phoenix Suns. I quickly ran into issues trying to keep the sunburst and roundel without making it look spiky and silly. So I abandoned the full roundel and went with an implied one and from there we have:

tumblr_nobaqutaQE1rb8m1do5_540.png

The sunburst extending longer on the P X and Ss is a carry from when this whole thing fit inside a purple circle but I didn't like any of the contrasts I was getting.

tumblr_nobaqutaQE1rb8m1do6_540.png

Above is a full logosheet that 100% stole from the Clippers leaks. As you can see Purple hasn't been eliminated, it's just not not featured in the Primary logos.

Thoughts? Comments? Need higher resolution images?

tumblr_p3eoj4gyq71ufhi8uo1_1280.png

DU2NX7nW0AAhqtw.jpg

The main problem with the Suns current identity is that there is no purple on the primary logo or home jersey, but there is on the road. You definitely need to include purple in the primary if you're going to go with a purple jersey. Just make all the black purple and I think you'd be good. Otherwise, I love everything about this. The wordmarks look awesome, and the logo is pretty unique for being just a basketball and sun rays (not to mention it meets all of the stupid NBA logo requirements without looking forced. Good job on this.

spacer.png

The main problem with the Suns current identity is that there is no purple on the primary logo or home jersey, but there is on the road. You definitely need to include purple in the primary if you're going to go with a purple jersey. Just make all the black purple and I think you'd be good. Otherwise, I love everything about this. The wordmarks look awesome, and the logo is pretty unique for being just a basketball and sun rays (not to mention it meets all of the stupid NBA logo requirements without looking forced. Good job on this.

I agree on the purple scenario, so my suggestion would be to make the outline on the ball and the orange outside ring purple, and make all of the text black. Other than that this logo is FANTASTIC and that it is an overall great brand. Thumbs up! :)

spacer.png

Visit my website at SSmith Designs (google.com)

I tried to limit the Purple because with as much Gold as I was using I didn't want to make it look too Lakers. That said I took the advice a put some purple in the Primary and I think it's an improvement

tumblr_nocge1mEq41s2o2yko1_1280.png

As for a different secondary logo other than the sun overload I'll work on that some more and get back to y'all but how are we feeling the updated Primary?

tumblr_p3eoj4gyq71ufhi8uo1_1280.png

DU2NX7nW0AAhqtw.jpg

I tried to limit the Purple because with as much Gold as I was using I didn't want to make it look too Lakers. That said I took the advice a put some purple in the Primary and I think it's an improvement

tumblr_nocge1mEq41s2o2yko1_1280.png

As for a different secondary logo other than the sun overload I'll work on that some more and get back to y'all but how are we feeling the updated Primary?

I would make the black text purple. It's not gonna look too Lakers-like. The Lakers don't use orange, let alone two shades of it, plus your basketball looks different. I just think the logo would look a lot better without any black in it.

Never argue with an idiot! They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.––George Carlin

Frankly, I'm not the biggest fan of the mark in it's current state. The perspective on the ball render looks off to me - and the sun rays are a bit too bulky/uneven. Nudge the vertical taping line on the ball to the right more and it should fix that perspective issue.

I wouldn't worry about the Lakers comparison - the Lakers are more YELLOW and purple, whereas this is more of an orange/gold.

• 1 month later...

Archived