2015/16 International Football

Crabcake

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After seeing the highlights of the Panama-Mexico match last night, Panama has two very legitimate beefs here. Those two calls were some of the worst calls I've seen in a long time.

Just what the American team needs for the third place game: An angry as all hell Panama team.

After seeing the highlights of the Panama-Mexico match last night, Panama has two very legitimate beefs here. Those two calls were some of the worst calls I've seen in a long time.

Just what the American team needs for the third place game: An angry as all hell Panama team.

I think they would already be pretty motivated to win against the US after losing to them in the Gold Cup final 2 years ago and smashing their dreams of qualifying for last year's World Cup with 2 goals in extra time at home.

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

If a Mexican calls it he might get attacked before, during and after the game. I hope the USA woke up now and use this for the playoff in October. Granted it will be an away game at the Rose Bowl when Mexico wins on Sunday.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

There's absolutely no reason Benny Feilhaber isn't in the USMNT camp, let alone the starting XI.

yuuuuuuupppppp

(please tell me you're not being sarcastic...please) :)

Oh, absolutely not. He’s the best American soccer player at the moment, and it’s ridiculous that he wasn’t brought in for the Gold Cup. I’m done with Jürgen.

Brad Guzan take: He’s a fine ’keeper who’d done pretty well in the tournament up to this point. He had a poor game last night, sure, but only the second goal is really on him; if Klinsmann would’ve played a defense worth a damn, that first shot doesn’t happen in the first place. (Also, it was a perfect header.)

Guzan does a lot of things pretty well. He’s an above-average shot stopper, commands his area really well, and has played behind some really, really bad defenses.

But his distribution is utter :censored: and that showed in a really ugly way last night.

/Also, there are plenty of other bigger reasons the US lost that game last night.

6fQjS3M.png

Haha, good... But we're on the same page. I've been driving the Benny Feilhaber bandwagon for years now... It's a shame to see him get blacklisted by the national manager when he's playing the best ball of his career.

Benny Feilhaber’s status with the national team, meanwhile, is far more cut and dry.

“It’s a simple answer,” Klinsmann said. “There are other ones ahead of him.”

Yeah, Joe Corona and Graham Zusi should definitely be ahead of Benny Feilhaber. :rolleyes:

Not an American, but based on all the stuff about the USMNT that mls promotes, it seems like Klinsman is a coach who values his own ideas and favourite players more than putting a together the best team and actually winning? Which would seem to be the mark of kind of a crappy coach or one with an ego way bigger than his abilities.

If you'd like to say why a particular player or team or coach is in fact good and not bad, that's a more productive way to communicate than smugly pointing out the failings in another person's opinion. The former leads to conversation and perhaps some education, while the latter is a conversation killer.

It's a bit disturbing that these two smug, snarky, sarcastic pro-Guzan quips come from 2/7th's of the leadership here. It's those types of posts that not only kill conversations but also spark personal arguments.

Soccer folks should be thrilled that people are tuning in to soccer that's not called "World Cup", not feeling offended that 'their' sport is being invaded by casual fans. Those that chimed in about last night's game were discussing what they saw, and what they saw was Guzan having an awful game and being heavily in the conversation as the game's goat.

If us lessers are going to be mocked for our soccer opinions, maybe your premier soccer discussions can be talked about in Mystery Mod Land.

Honestly, I don't know where you're getting that at all. But I don't want to ruin your ongoing narrative, so carry on.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Just my 2 cents from an outsider's perspective, but I just feel that this is a whole lot of overreacting. Sure, the US disappointed in the tournament, and his tactics have been somewhat questionable, but calling for him to be fired right now is just really silly, IMO. He's done a lot for the USMNT (much more than Bradley), and the team certainly has a bright future. If the US loses the playoff match, then there's some cause for concern, but until then, I think you guys can put your torches and pitchforks away.

I'm not sure about the "much more than Bradley" bit, but I generally agree with you. I'm tired of every loss or even non-blowout-win being time to OMGPANIC!!!1!!

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Guzan has been fine since he took over for Howard. Unfortunately, he had a below average game last night.

I don't know, but JK's lineups have seemed SUPER random lately. I'd agree with playing people he wants to be good instead of those who are actually good. Wish Feilhaber was at least in the camp. 1000x better than Corona. Also did I miss something with Omar Gonzalez? I like him as a CB, but maybe I missed him playing terrible or something?

Also I so want Zardes to be good, but he hasn't played well. ):

Eagles/Heels/Dawgs/Falcons/Hawks

If you'd like to say why a particular player or team or coach is in fact good and not bad, that's a more productive way to communicate than smugly pointing out the failings in another person's opinion. The former leads to conversation and perhaps some education, while the latter is a conversation killer.

It's a bit disturbing that these two smug, snarky, sarcastic pro-Guzan quips come from 2/7th's of the leadership here. It's those types of posts that not only kill conversations but also spark personal arguments.

Soccer folks should be thrilled that people are tuning in to soccer that's not called "World Cup", not feeling offended that 'their' sport is being invaded by casual fans. Those that chimed in about last night's game were discussing what they saw, and what they saw was Guzan having an awful game and being heavily in the conversation as the game's goat.

If us lessers are going to be mocked for our soccer opinions, maybe your premier soccer discussions can be talked about in Mystery Mod Land.

But I wouldn’t watch the Ashes, walk into a cricket thread, and say, “I know who to blame” for England’s latest loss or that “I’ve seen enough of [cricket player] here for my life,” when everyone had a pretty bad test.

Look, I enjoy that new people are watching soccer. It’s cool! Most of us were “new person” watching soccer at some point in time. I’m sorry if what I say sounds dismissive, because it’s not written with that in mind.

But at the same time, don’t act like you have the authoritative opinion on the issue when you’re a self-described “lesser.” We’re each entitled to our own opinion; I’d strongly make the case that Guzan wasn’t “to blame” for the loss. Sure, he gave up a silly free kick that Jamaica converted, but if the US forwards weren’t so wasteful in front of net, they win 3-2 or 4-2. If the US had a coherent tactical plan, perhaps there’s even more quality chances, and the game’s put away by the 30th minute. Perhaps if Jürgen doesn’t pick centre backs for “experience” in a continental championship, the first Jamaica goal doesn’t get converted. Perhaps if he doesn’t play favorites and keep our most in-form player at home, we have a more comprehensive performance in all aspects.

That was a pretty poor performance all around, and it raises a lot of questions; simply blaming the goalkeeper is taking the easy way out, and not addressing the bigger issues at hand with the USMNT.

6fQjS3M.png

This is when I knew the US was in trouble if Guzan was in goal. Now admittedly I haven't watched him too much so I'm not going to comment on him as a keeper but he certainly isn't Tim Howard.

https://vine.co/v/eWbPYEjLEQ6

With that said I wouldn't even put that loss on Guzan, I just think that was a heartless performance by nearly every player. Michael Bradley was the only guy who seemed to want it as bad as ANY JAMAICAN.

Denver Nuggets Kansas City Chiefs Tampa Bay Rays 

Colorado Buffaloes Purdue Boilermakers Florida Gators

Look, I enjoy that new people are watching soccer. It’s cool! Most of us were “new person” watching soccer at some point in time. I’m sorry if what I say sounds dismissive, because it’s not written with that in mind.

Look at these three quotes that you and Mockba made last evening. Tell me how they're something else other than dismissive.

Have we decided that Guzan's an awful keeper? Because that's a ridiculous statement, even when you consider the usual post-loss hyperbolic panic.

Also LMAO at people who’ve watched Brad Guzan fewer than five times having the comprehensive end-all, be-all opinion on him.

I've watch Brad Guzan at least six times. Does my opinion mean more now?

Oh, of course! You’re now clearly the most-educated man on the subject. Congratulations.

Guy has a dreadful game and multiple folks point that out, yet you two make it sound like it's an indictment of his career. That's a bigger over-reaction than folks posting about the game itself.

But at the same time, don’t act like you have the authoritative opinion on the issue when you’re a self-described “lesser.” We’re each entitled to our own opinion; I’d strongly make the case that Guzan wasn’t “to blame” for the loss. Sure, he gave up a silly free kick that Jamaica converted, but if the US forwards weren’t so wasteful in front of net, they win 3-2 or 4-2. If the US had a coherent tactical plan, perhaps there’s even more quality chances, and the game’s put away by the 30th minute. Perhaps if Jürgen doesn’t pick centre backs for “experience” in a continental championship, the first Jamaica goal doesn’t get converted. Perhaps if he doesn’t play favorites and keep our most in-form player at home, we have a more comprehensive performance in all aspects.

I was being sarcastic in using the 'lesser' reference.

I've watched plenty of soccer. I was playing soccer before you were ever born. I believe I am very qualified in discussing the game. What I saw last night was a goalie having, at best, a shaky effort. The second goal was completely on him. Not only commits the infraction that leads to the free kick, but has some awful positioning for the free kick. The ball's just outside the box...why would you line up on the weak-side half of the net? A short-distance free kick to the half of the net that's closest to the ball? That's going to get converted by any striker that's got some talent. And the first goal was a relatively-soft goal that barely made it across the line. A much better effort could have been made all-around, Guzan included.

(words)

1. I’d be willing to say “I’ve seen enough of Brad Guzan for my life” is a pretty damning indictment of his career, wouldn’t you?

2. It’s dismissive of the idea that someone who’s watched him play “six times” can be qualified to say the above statement, especially considering this is his first particularly poor game in a US shirt. He’s not Tim Howard. Just like Mix Diskerud isn‘t Michael Bradley.

3. I don’t particularly have an issue with his positioning on the second goal. That shot isn’t getting saved regardless of where the wall is.

4. It’s probably best for me to walk away from this argument in a public forum; if you’d like to continue it, my PM mailbox is open.

6fQjS3M.png

"Six times" was in direct response to your dismissive comment about people watching less than "five times."

There's no need to assert one's bonafides when talking about, really, anything outside of a professional environment.

You may have watched more soccer. Congratulations. That doesn't invalidated the opinions of others, nor does it require everyone else to preface their opinions with their relative expertise level.

If you are an expert on watching soccer, it's on you to learn grace when discussing the sport you love with those who have less experience. Or else it's no fun for anyone and you have conversations like this.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Guzan has been fine since he took over for Howard. Unfortunately, he had a below average game last night.

I don't know, but JK's lineups have seemed SUPER random lately. I'd agree with playing people he wants to be good instead of those who are actually good. Wish Feilhaber was at least in the camp. 1000x better than Corona. Also did I miss something with Omar Gonzalez? I like him as a CB, but maybe I missed him playing terrible or something?

Also I so want Zardes to be good, but he hasn't played well. ):

It's year one of the World Cup cycle. We've already got a slot in the playoff for the Confederations Cup (yes we shouldn't have to worry about the playoff, but *shrugs*). Now is the perfect time to see what you have and what you may have in 2018.

Edit, speaking of which, that might be why we used Guzan. Howard's going to be 39 by the time the next World Cup rolls around. He might still be able to compete at the level he has in the past, but there's a decent chance he won't be able to. Again, see what you may have if you can't have Howard.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

(words)

4. It’s probably best for me to walk away from this argument in a public forum; if you’d like to continue it, my PM mailbox is open.

It's probably best for you to relinquish moderation duties as well, if you're going to refer to one's reply as "(words)" while being in a position of power. That's a rather disrespectful and unprofessional move.

Archived