2015/16 International Football

Crabcake

41 minutes ago, crashcarson15 said:

Watching Hertha completely bottle a Champions League spot has been a hell of a lot more painful than Villa’s relegation was. Turns out all Hertha needed was eight points from the final seven matches… they’ve won one from those first six. Losses to 13th- and 14th-placed Darmstadt and Hoffenheim and a draw with bottom side Hannover.

Brutal stuff. We’ll still have the Europa League for the first time in a while, but that’s a pretty empty consolation prize at this point.

Yeah, we turned out a little unlucky the last games. After the losses against strong opponents like BVB, Bayern and Leverkusen our self confidence drastically dropped. I'm still not sad about the outcome of the season. It turned out much better than expected. And with the win today Darmstadt will stay in the league for one more season. For me that's nearly as sensational as Leicesters championship.

One sad thing on the other hand is that either Bremen or Stuttgart will go down to 2. Bundesliga. Can't imagine that.

I'm a simple person, I have a pixelated David Beckham as profile photo since 2010.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Incredible ending to the Eredivisie, Ajax and PSV were tied on points with Ajax having a substantial ad vantage in goal difference, so for all intents and purposes Ajax only needed to win vs. second to last De Graafschap, but they blew it and drew. Really showed how much more fun these late season fixtures are when played at the same time, PSV waiting on the pitch for the other result

07Giants.pngnyy.png

On 5/8/2016 at 11:35 AM, Berlin Wall said:

And, after 7 years Red Bull finally made it to the Bundesliga. :/

And have a transfer budget of 50 million Euros for next season from what I'm hearing. 

In terms of the Bundesliga how big is that budget compared to other teams? 

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

Middlesbrough have clinched the other automatic promotion spot to the Premier League. Burnley also clinched the Championship title. 

Brighton, Hull, Derby County, and Sheffield Wednesday will compete in the promotion playoffs. 

spacer.png

6 hours ago, Nyk33 said:

And have a transfer budget of 50 million Euros for next season from what I'm hearing. 

In terms of the Bundesliga how big is that budget compared to other teams? 

It is Bayern Munich big. Even they don't spend that much that often.

I'm a simple person, I have a pixelated David Beckham as profile photo since 2010.

How Man U fans are feeling now with news that two of their main targets, Renato Sanches and Mats Hummels, are both joining Bayern:

image.jpeg

spacer.png

9 hours ago, Berlin Wall said:

It is Bayern Munich big. Even they don't spend that much that often.

Wow...

I'm pretty sure Bournemouth spent 50 million euros on transfers. It's kind of hard to believe that Bayern Munich and Bournemouth spend the same amount of money on transfers. 

2 hours ago, Nyk33 said:

Wow...

I'm pretty sure Bournemouth spent 50 million euros on transfers. It's kind of hard to believe that Bayern Munich and Bournemouth spend the same amount of money on transfers. 

Well, at least Bayern is the only club that could spend 50 million. Dortmund's maximum is around 30 million. Wolfsburg also used to be spending 30-40 million, but after the VW scandal they can't spend that much for now. The other bigger clubs like Gladbach, Schalke and Leverkusen could spend around 20 million. Hertha will spend around 10 million I guess.

But the PL is another story here. Every PL club could spend min. 30 million. 1 season in the PL for Hertha and we would finally be out of dept (and because of that it's a real bummer that we've missed the Champions League).

We swapped Middlesbrough for Newcastle. Can't say I'm not a fan of this.

Borussia Dortmund signed french talent Ousmane Dembélé. Good catch.

The relegation of Newcastle and Aston Villa have been inevitable for a few years now; frankly I'm surprised that it's taken Newcastle this long to be relegated, and, let's be honest, we all knew Villa were a joke a few weeks in. 

I'm liking the trend though of "traditional" Prem clubs like Newcastle, Villa, QPR, etc. being swapped out for teams that haven't seen the big time for a while now, if ever, like Bournemouth, Watford, Leicester, and now Middlesbrough.  

spacer.png

On 5/12/2016 at 4:49 PM, Crabcake47 said:

The relegation of Newcastle and Aston Villa have been inevitable for a few years now; frankly I'm surprised that it's taken Newcastle this long to be relegated, and, let's be honest, we all knew Villa were a joke a few weeks in. 

I'm liking the trend though of "traditional" Prem clubs like Newcastle, Villa, QPR, etc. being swapped out for teams that haven't seen the big time for a while now, if ever, like Bournemouth, Watford, Leicester, and now Middlesbrough.  

Villa were far from a joke a few weeks in when they went 2-0 up at the eventual title winners, but okay. For the first ~10 matches of the year, Villa were, like, a little worse than everyone they played.

It wasn’t until the middle half of the season that this team completely went in the :censored:er.

(Also, QPR is far from a “traditional” top-flight side — Boro and Leicester are definitely both more traditional high-end sides.)

6fQjS3M.png

On 5/10/2016 at 10:39 AM, Nyk33 said:

Wow...

I don’t think enough people realize how much money there is in the Premier League until you look at it against the other leagues.

Liverpool’s squad this year cost €344 million, Bayern’s cost €337 million.

Southampton’s squad cost €182 million, Atlético Madrid’s cost €180 million.

Newcastle spent €157 million on their team and West Ham blew €143 million — Borussia Dortmund’s squad cost just €142 million.

Teams Aston Villa’s squad was more expensive than? Bayer Leverkusen and Schalke, as well as Sevilla and Villarreal.

It’s absurd, honestly: http://www.football-observatory.com/IMG/pdf/wp116_eng.pdf

6fQjS3M.png

German football though. Energie Cottbus goes down to division 4 and Stuttgart most likely to the 2. Bundesliga. Well, at least we got that energy drink now.

21 hours ago, crashcarson15 said:

I don’t think enough people realize how much money there is in the Premier League until you look at it against the other leagues.

Liverpool’s squad this year cost €344 million, Bayern’s cost €337 million.

Southampton’s squad cost €182 million, Atlético Madrid’s cost €180 million.

Newcastle spent €157 million on their team and West Ham blew €143 million — Borussia Dortmund’s squad cost just €142 million.

Teams Aston Villa’s squad was more expensive than? Bayer Leverkusen and Schalke, as well as Sevilla and Villarreal.

It’s absurd, honestly: http://www.football-observatory.com/IMG/pdf/wp116_eng.pdf

I wonder how much money teams in the Championship are spending in comparison to D1 leagues in Europe. 

9 hours ago, Berlin Wall said:

German football though. Energie Cottbus goes down to division 4 and Stuttgart most likely to the 2. Bundesliga. Well, at least we got that energy drink now.

Genuine question for you, coming from Germany:

What’s the rationale for most to have this outward hatred of Red Bull and everything they’re doing in Leipzig, but they don’t seem to have the same feelings toward Leverkusen or Wolfsburg? Those two clubs are, in a lot of ways, similar things to RB — owned by a big company, with smaller support bases and a more “plastic” feel — but don’t get the hate. (Obviously, Hoffenheim get it, but that’s another topic.)

I think it’s one of two things for most people — that we’re used to Leverkusen/Wolfsburg, but RB Leipzig are new; or that Bayer and Volkswagen are from those cities, while Red Bull isn’t from Leipzig.

Just curious your thoughts from the inside?

6fQjS3M.png

That's a good question. I try to explain it short with a few points.

I. Leverkusen and Wolfsburg also get hate here, but I guess not as obvious as RB and Hoffenheim if you don't live in Germany. Only Leverkusen is accepted by most fans because they don't get much more money from Bayer than a normal sponsor pays. They do good work with the money they get and focus on developing players. With so many years in the Bundesliga they also have a solid fan base.

Wolfsburg on the other hand get's a lot of hate since they started investing hundreds of millions about ten years ago. Volgswagen completely owns this club since 2007, which makes the club nearly as RBL. Only two years later they won the league title.

II. (Most) Germans only like succesfull clubs if they got succesfull by good and hard work. I mean look at Darmstadt 98. They nearly got relegated to division 4. The following two seasons they climbed to the Bundesliga and managed it to stay in the league this season with many players they already had in the 3. division. We love that!

Also Borussia Mönchengladbach. They worked hard the last few years, reached a Champions League spot the third time now and have the money to stay on top in the Bundesliga now. They are the most popular club in Germany right now if you ask fans from any club.

If Hoffenheim would have gotten to the Bundesliga without all the money from their rich owner they'd also be very popular here. But so they are just a club from a little village that doesn't really has eligibility to be in the league.

III. They 'steal' spots in the Bundesliga for traditional clubs with huge and amazing fanbases. That's maybe the biggest point here. The Bundesliga only got 18 spots compared to the other top leagues (20). We already have Hoffenheim, Wolfsburg, (Leverkusen) and Leipzig in the league. Most fans also count Ingolstadt in addition to them because they have a good sponsoring deal with Audi (Audi is based in Ingolstadt). They potentially will become a new VfL Wolsburg type of club if Audi decides to take over the club.

All these clubs (minus Leipzig) only have stadiums with a capacity of 15.000 to 30.000. There are at least 10 clubs from lower leagues that would have a higher average attandence than these clubs (again minus Leipzig, I have to agree that they already have the best fanbase from all of these). Kaiserslautern, Nürnberg, St. Pauli, Dresden... These are clubs Germans want to see in the Bundesliga.

IV. Why Leipzig is so hated is actually easy. For Germans soccer is an emotional thing. RB just invests in soccer clubs because they want them as an advertising medium in the biggest sport in the world. They aren't really interested in the sport and especially the fans and just invest billions to become a succesfull club to get the Red Bull logo visible in the soccer world. You could argue that Leverkusen also got the Bayer logo in their crest, but that's actually just because they were founded by Bayer workers and not for advertising reasons.

So we don't accept clubs that got successful just for advertising reasons. I would count Leipzig and Wolfsburg to these clubs. Volkswagen also just invested in the club because they want their logo in the Champions League. Germans also don't accept clubs that just became successful because of a rich owner. Well, the only example here is Hoffenheim.

Of course not all Germans think like that. These clubs all got their fanbases and there are also fans from the established clubs who accept them. But for most fans soccer is such an emotional and traditional thing in Germany, that those 'plastic' clubs don't fit here.

Archived