2015/16 International Football

Crabcake

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I went to the Haiti/Peru game. I never thought I'd go to a Haiti/Peru game, but it was actually a lot of fun. Peru won 1-0 in a surprisingly competitive match.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

On 3/23/2016 at 8:53 PM, kcchiefsfan said:

You're not going to get an argument out of  me on that. We've looked awful since KDB went down (the same week as the pep announcement) and are vastly underperforming. 

I'm sure we'll see the same lineup vs Costa Rica for the most part. I'd hope to see Beckerman stay off the pitch but somehow I can see Jurgen panicking and putting him in. I hope we see guys actually pass the ball and move around in the final 18. They made Manchester United look decent which is pretty bad when you realize that they failed to score in the first half 11 time last year. Stop holding the ball and put it in the net!!!!

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Unchanged XI for the US tonight. 

Predicition: With the score tied at 1-1 in the 89' minute, Fabian Johnson will get caught playing winger - his natural position - and Costa Rica will score on the counterattack, knocking the US out. 

Besler can play left back. There's a reason why Johnson plays as a winger for Gladbach. Why does Klinsmann still stubbornly start Fabian Johnson at left back?

spacer.png

FWIW, I'm really enjoying the Copa America. It's fun to have regular games on, in regular time zones. This Paraguay/Colombia match is competitive and fun.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Just settling in back home after a long, yet fun!, day in Chicago.

Obviously, we looked a lot better, and the biggest takeaways should come from defense tonight. Brooks is a fantastic center back (and still so young) and there's some good talent around him. I didn't want to draw too much from a solid performance against Colombia, since they weren't trying to attack, but Costa Rica's threats were mostly cut out.

I won't take as much from the four goals, given how good the finishes were. I mean, it's nice to be able to do that, but we likely won't convert a lower-percentage chance than the ones Jones and Wood scored tonight. But world-class finishes are super nice. I think on the run of play, 2-0 would've maybe been a more indicative scoreline.

The big thing to take away from the attack is how good the squad looked tonight in a more natural 4-4-1-1 like formation, with Wood playing centrally and Dempsey playing as the playmaker. Shifting two influential attackers from positions they're weaker at to their strongest ones was a huge driving force behind our two first-half goals from open play. And it shows why those of us who want Jürgen gone won't accept "we're not good enough," because well, we're pretty damn solid (if not spectacular!) when we use everyone properly. It's not difficult, but those misguided decisions lead to things like the Jamaica loss or our struggles in World Cup qualifiers.

We should get the result we need against Paraguay if we remain unchanged (formation too, Klinsi!) and that'll setup a winnable quarterfinal with (likely) Brazil or Ecuador. And that doesn't mean we will, or that Klinsmann deserves to keep his job unless a semifinal appearance — the stated pre-tournament goal — is achieved, but that taking that performance tonight forward is a way to get what the United States should have in this tournament.

A chance.

6fQjS3M.png

IMO the US needs to do everything in its power (which at this point may just be hoping for a favorable result) to avoid Brazil in the quarters.  Yes they haven't looked spectacular yet, yes they don't have Neymar, and yes it's probably winnable, but I think if we get Brazil in the quarters there's a good chance we'd get hammered.  Brazil would be motivated to prove to everyone that they are still Brazil and that they're not just a one-man team.  Ecuador is the much more favorable opponent in the quarters, but with the US's chances of winning the group at a minimum, it's not looking likely.

I think the US will advance with a relatively easy win over Paraguay on Saturday, then bow out to Group B winners Brazil 2-1 in the quarters.

spacer.png

1 hour ago, Crabcake47 said:

IMO the US needs to do everything in its power (which at this point may just be hoping for a favorable result) to avoid Brazil in the quarters.  Yes they haven't looked spectacular yet, yes they don't have Neymar, and yes it's probably winnable, but I think if we get Brazil in the quarters there's a good chance we'd get hammered.  Brazil would be motivated to prove to everyone that they are still Brazil and that they're not just a one-man team.  Ecuador is the much more favorable opponent in the quarters, but with the US's chances of winning the group at a minimum, it's not looking likely.

I think the US will advance with a relatively easy win over Paraguay on Saturday, then bow out to Group B winners Brazil 2-1 in the quarters.

I mean, it’s still very much within the realm of possibility that Ecuador wins Group B, not Brazil. I’d still expect the seleção to win the group, but with the teams level after their match, the group win comes down to who could beat Haiti and Peru by more — and the order of the draw is “nicer” to Ecuador, since they play Haiti, who can be eliminated tonight, last.

6fQjS3M.png

Funny that Rangers won the trophy but can't play in it, but then again it would be the same if the team winning the Johnstone Paints Trophy moved up in England. Their U-20 team will playing in it though.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

So no one bothered to tell Suarez he wasn't playing today? Absolutely hilarious.

What a result for Venezuela too. Big time upset there with Uruguay falling by the wayside.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

15 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

Funny that Rangers won the trophy but can't play in it, but then again it would be the same if the team winning the Johnstone Paints Trophy moved up in England. Their U-20 team will playing in it though.

Yeah it is a funny quirk but I think Rangers will much happily take their place in the top flight over a chance to defend their title.

UBI FIDES IBI LUX ET ROBUR

3 hours ago, Still MIGHTY said:

So no one bothered to tell Suarez he wasn't playing today? Absolutely hilarious.

What a result for Venezuela too. Big time upset there with Uruguay falling by the wayside.

Uruguay were ranked 9th in the world coming into this match. Venezuela were ranked 77th. Pretty incredible. 

I don't understand why you bench Luis Suarez there. I'm probably missing some really good reason, but they've had Cavani leading the line the last two games and they've scored a combined 1 goal. Why are you benching your best player? If I am missing something someone please tell me!

spacer.png

Suarez picked up an injury at the end of the season. But if I'm facing elimination I wouldn't have made him a scratch. I expected more from Uruguay based on previous results. Now it should be interesting to see if he even plays at all this tournament. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Archived