2015/16 International Football

Crabcake

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Mockba said:

You had me at

honestly, this.

I know im a minority of apathetic Premier League people, not to mention loving Ligue 1, but I dont get the draw of italian teams.

On that note, i dont get the Spanish draw either. I would rather watch championnat national over real madrid or barcelona, or Milan.

Bundesliga is good though, and perhaps ill get into premier league. I swear Premier league wouldnt be as popular in the US if it wasnt for the whole English speaking thing.

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

I think it's the fact it's been available here since 2002 on a weekly basis. NBC having every single game helps too. La Liga games almost always feature Barcelona and Real blowing out some minnow which gets boring when you know only 3 teams will even bother to fight for the title. Fox has done a good job of putting competitive Bundesliga matches on as well. I have to admit that I didn't watch it as much as I intended to this year though.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

38 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

It also helps even you're able to pronounce the names of the teams.

TBF, it was fun listening to people butcher Leicester before this year.

Yeah, Premier League is easily consumable for American supporters and it has been for a while. It’s the deepest competition in the world — no fewer than six teams will go into next year as actual preseason title contenders — so there’s almost always a compelling match each weekend, it’s in English (which is big, if not huge), it’s a very international league (further reinforces the “best in the world idea”), etc.

The other thing is that the Premier League got its :censored: together long before any other league did, which means it’s been competent for a while. 15 years ago, the Bundesliga was in a much worse shape than it is, Serie A still has huge problems and La Liga is still kinda whatever on the whole. I used to love Ligue 1, then PSG ruined it for me (as a former PSG fan!), so I might try that again to get a third league.

Also, everyone’s friendly reminder that Liga MX is — and will continue to be — the most popular league in the United States.

6fQjS3M.png

19 minutes ago, crashcarson15 said:

TBF, it was fun listening to people butcher Leicester before this year.

Yeah, Premier League is easily consumable for American supporters and it has been for a while. It’s the deepest competition in the world — no fewer than six teams will go into next year as actual preseason title contenders — so there’s almost always a compelling match each weekend, it’s in English (which is big, if not huge), it’s a very international league (further reinforces the “best in the world idea”), etc.

The other thing is that the Premier League got its :censored: together long before any other league did, which means it’s been competent for a while. 15 years ago, the Bundesliga was in a much worse shape than it is, Serie A still has huge problems and La Liga is still kinda whatever on the whole. I used to love Ligue 1, then PSG ruined it for me (as a former PSG fan!), so I might try that again to get a third league.

Also, everyone’s friendly reminder that Liga MX is — and will continue to be — the most popular league in the United States.

Maybe so, but I've never seen a Chivas shirt. The only Club America gear I've seen was at a Club America game. But, also, Seattle is VERY far from Mexico, so my perspective might be skewed. I do see lots of Barcelona, Man U and Arsenal stuff.  I think Seattle is the right cross section of grunge/John Cusack fans/High Fidelity/Fever Pitch fans that Arsenal just makes sense.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

12 hours ago, DG_Now said:

I think Seattle is the right cross section of grunge/John Cusack fans/High Fidelity/Fever Pitch fans that Arsenal just makes sense.

I always figured the US had a lot of Arsenal fans because we think any form of artillery is cool. 

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

image.png

Mixed feelings on this one. Mané adds a directness and element of pace that our attack was missing, but his consistency issues are a little worrying. £30m-£34m is also a lot of money, but I think that's also a byproduct of the TV deal inflating transfer prices. At the end of the day, Klopp has the last say on transfers so I'm going to trust him and his developmental skills. I'm at least excited to see what he'll add to the team. 

spacer.png

Archived